Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Tandems, Trikes and Recumbent Bicycles

Motorized Tandems, Trikes and Recumbent Bicycles Motorized trikes (tricycle) and recumbent bicycles can give the ultimate in comfort for cruising on long trips or just around town plus they will really turn some heads.

Fasteddys trike

Motorized trikes (tricycle) and recumbent bicycles can give the ultimate in comfort for cruising on long trips or just around town plus they will really turn some heads.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:50 AM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up

Default Re: Fasteddys trike

Nice find, Steve!
Is it usable as it is? Just thinking you might bring it with you this summer when you come to Minnesota to tool around on as we do our other projects. Leave the Brigs on it, give it the electric front wheel and at summer's end remove the Briggs for use in B.C. Just a thought, since you have other projects going on. I may have a moped front fork you can have which would improve the ride some. I'd think that 20mph on a trike is plenty fast. Looks like fun to me.
SB
Old 02-20-2012, 07:12 AM

Also, I have a Briggs engine which looks very much like that one. We can compare model numbers to see. Mine is rope start, but otherwise looks the same. No spark, but not frozen up and all there. I got it last year on a farm water pump for a few bucks. If it has some interchangeable parts and you want it I'll bring it with me when I go home this spring. I'm not doing anything with it.
Yes, I can see that as a kind of as is rat rod for this summer... riding up to the lake for a swim or out to the state park. If it bogs on a steep hill, kick in the electric front wheel as a booster and while in the park you can go just electric. A stealth hybrid, woohoo! Have fun with it looking kind of ratty and then later make it into whatever you want. I would think that if it had the gas motor removed while in Canada you'd be legal and then once in the states put the gas motor back on. Simple. Convertible. You could make a simple rack for over the motor to give a bit of cargo room. Maybe like a pickup truck box.
SB
Old 02-20-2012, 03:19 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Hey Silverbear did you and Harry76 team up? I thought I was supposed to be the bad influence on you two.

Spent another sleepless night building the trike in my mind. It came out great by the way.
The main problem with the trike as it is, is simply that it's a youth/womens build or a really crappy one. The frame is small and when a lump my size gets on it you have the Russian bear riding the bicycle effect. My brother enjoys working that into the conversation every chance he gets which is often.

The pedals are almost straight below the seat and with my problems it's a no go so I need to get the pedals ahead of the seat. Was out checking the frame this morning and I may be able to extend it and put the motor behind the seat post if I lengthen it there.
I'll have to move the pedals forward on the frame.

The guy that built it just undid the pedal chain and ran the chain to the jack shaft then to the rear hub. As it is now a good clutch on the motor to drive the belt to the jack shaft and it would work well but just not look as elegant as it could. He raided a scrap metal bin somewhere and it wasn't a good scrap bin.

That leaves it with no pedal chain to the rear end. That wouldn't be a problem until the flashing lights start and the ticket book comes out. At least that's the way I remember it.

Mid engine may help with the balance and the center of gravity. Kind of like a ships keel trying to counter balance Lumpy up top of the trike.

This clam just isn't electric friendly so I'll forgo that. Your right again Harry. It's going to be a vintage build. Just can't help myself.

Steve.

Last edited by fasteddy; 01-19-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:32 PM

Silverbear,
Thank you for the offer of the motor and I'll take you up on it. Don't see many for sale here. This one is rope start as well.
As far as it being a rat rod you could put this one on a pedestal as best of the breed.

Off to give it the creative stare once again.

Steve.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:52 PM

Fasteddy said, "Hey Silverbear did you and Harry76 team up? I thought I was supposed to br the bad influence on you two."

Yes sir, it is payback for the very bad influence you have had enticing me into new and elaborate enterprises such as building a velocar this summer. And that is after we finish up a tri-car scheme which you definitely helped into being. So I think it is only right that I return the favor.

I'll take a couple pictures of the motor I have and copy down the model number on it. Good if you can use it for something. If nothing else it would make a good anchor.
SB
Old 03-23-2012, 05:09 PM

When you have one of those days when everything you touch turns to **** this is the trike for you.

Steve.

http://www.bikemenu.com/photos/trikesother/064.jpg
Old 03-23-2012, 09:05 PM

Hey, Silverbear.
About that left over half of a canoe. This would cover everything all at once.

Steve.

http://www.bikemenu.com/photos/trikesother/056.jpg
Old 03-23-2012, 09:13 PM

Here's one for the home builder. Sign is optional and probably not advised in polite company and anywhere you wife can see it.

Steve.

http://www.bikemenu.com/photos/trikesother/051.jpg
Old 03-23-2012, 09:20 PM

That's cool! The other half of the canoe is called for as a Velocar body, but there are more canoes out there...
SB
Old 03-23-2012, 09:24 PM

Silverbear,
Start gathering parts. LOL.

Steve.