Are Motorized Bicycles the Beverly Hillbillies of bicycledom?

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
After having a MB since last September I've come to the conclusion, based on reactions from the people I've met, that we're like the Beverly Hillbillies of bicycledom lol.

Traditional bicycle riders think we're cheaters. Non riders think our bikes are toys. Bicycle shops think we're a threat. Tree huggers think we're polluters. The police don't know what to think.

What do I think? I think we're the most perfect form of personal transportation ever invented. We're just misunderstood.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Re: Are MBs the Beverly Hillbillies of bicycledom?

After having a MB since last September I've come to the conclusion, based on reactions from the people I've met, that we're like the Beverly Hillbillies of bicycledom lol.

Traditional bicycle riders think we're cheaters. Non riders think our bikes are toys. Bicycle shops think we're a threat. Tree huggers think we're polluters. The police don't know what to think.

What do I think? I think we're the most perfect form of personal transportation ever invented. We're just misunderstood.
Mine is more like something outa the movie "Mad Max".xct2

I'm gonna use this for protection, which will make me look the part:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...-Airframe-Roost-Deflector.aspx?wt.ac=SLI_SERP
Looks cobbled up, cool and Fasssst!

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california

i think it depends on the bike. i run into a lot of people who've only seen the crappy cheap bike buzzing around their neighborhood, and to them they're just annoying toys.

but when they see something clean and custom, doing 45mph alongside them, it's nothing but thumbs ups...

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

i think it depends on the bike. i run into a lot of people who've only seen the crappy cheap bike buzzing around their neighborhood, and to them they're just annoying toys.

but when they see something clean and custom, doing 45mph alongside them, it's nothing but thumbs ups...
I question whether many traditional bicyclers think that, but maybe someday they'll come around.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

Part of the problem is not many of us build a $3000 mb, but many bicyclers have bikes that cost more than that. We appear low class lol.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california

i've had a lot of the spandex crowd complimenting me lately. seems even they appreciate a well made bike.

it'd funny you mention expensive bikes. i was talking to a guy recently about building him a bike. he just dropped a coupla grand for a roadbike for one of his sons. his older son wanted a motored bike, and the guy told me that my quote of $1200 was too expensive, and said he could do half of that.

seriously. i don't understand how he can think a custom bike with a motor should cost 1/4 the amount of a mid-range road bike. obviously to him, the road bike is legitimate, while a Motor bike is just a toy.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

i've had a lot of the spandex crowd complimenting me lately. seems even they appreciate a well made bike.

it'd funny you mention expensive bikes. i was talking to a guy recently about building him a bike. he just dropped a coupla grand for a roadbike for one of his sons. his older son wanted a motored bike, and the guy told me that my quote of $1200 was too expensive, and said he could do half of that.

seriously. i don't understand how he can think a custom bike with a motor should cost 1/4 the amount of a mid-range road bike. obviously to him, the road bike is legitimate, while a Motor bike is just a toy.
I've noticed the same mentality. Here in Dallas statis is having a $2000+ bicycle. From that lofty seat you can look down you nose at almost any other bicycle. You're the king of the world, but then out of nowhere comes this low class slob racing by you like you're standing still on a one speed beach cruiser lol.

Just call me Jethro.

Billy Thunder

Jul 8, 2010
B.C. Canada

LOL... its hard to take a guy in spandex and an arodynamic helmet seriously anyway... if he droped a couple grand on a skinny bike, its all that much more funny.

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley

Out riding recently I met up with a motorized biker on the side of the road working on his bike. He said it quit on him, something about the carb, didn't have any tools so I offered my tool kit if it would help. He had a low end department store aluminum bike and a Chinese 2 stroke kit on it. While he was fussing with the bike I noticed he had cut the top tube so the engine would fit and then put a piece of what looked like bent metal kitchen chair tubing to replace it and attached with sheet metal screws. Yeah.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

Out riding recently I met up with a motorized biker on the side of the road working on his bike. He said it quit on him, something about the carb, didn't have any tools so I offered my tool kit if it would help. He had a low end department store aluminum bike and a Chinese 2 stroke kit on it. While he was fussing with the bike I noticed he had cut the top tube so the engine would fit and then put a piece of what looked like bent metal kitchen chair tubing to replace it and attached with sheet metal screws. Yeah.
This does get right to the heart of the matter lol.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA

I like to keep a balance.

For the China motor a cheap China bike.

The $400 Staton is going on a $400 bike.

A nice Morini would be good on a bike with the parts to handle the speed yes?

I stay away from the Spandex guys. I don't pass them, I just cruise along behind. That way I do not foul their air or assult them with noise. I don't mind, 15 to 20 is a good speed for me and these guys are usually doing that.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

I like to keep a balance.

For the China motor a cheap China bike.

The $400 Staton is going on a $400 bike.

A nice Morini would be good on a bike with the parts to handle the speed yes?

I stay away from the Spandex guys. I don't pass them, I just cruise along behind. That way I do not foul their air or assult them with noise. I don't mind, 15 to 20 is a good speed for me and these guys are usually doing that.
Yeah, I stay away from the spandex guys too...

awayyyy ahead, lol.xct2

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

So what would your $1200 motor bike look like and have on it? New bike or used to start with?

Just curious.

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA

Interesting post........about 10 years ago, myself and 2 other guys started a local mountain biking club that turned out to be very popular- we have over 300 members and I am fairly well known in the local cycling community.

Having said that and most of my friends know I can't ride a "normal" bike due any more due to severe arthritis in both knees- I am very well accepted by all the local riders.

I've lead several group road rides due to the fact that I punch a big hole in the wind sitting upright on my hybrid and I can go 25 mph for hours on end, so all my friends can draft quite easily behind me.

As far as motorists.....it's kinda weird- most drivers assume that since I'm on a bicycle-they'll be able to easily pass me.....I think some drivers get ticked off when it takes them longer then normal to get around me since I am going 25-30 mph.

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA

So what would your $1200 motor bike look like and have on it? New bike or used to start with?

Just curious.
I have about 1200 bucks "all in" with my bicycle. I got a top of the line Staton kit with a Mitsubishi TLE 43 and put it on a fairly nice $500 Specialized hybrid/29er with a nice front suspension fork.

I wouldn't do it any other way. I know lots of folks don't have that much money to spend on a bike, but I wanted something I could pretty much beat on and ride WFO for hours on end.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

LOL, I started out with a $120 Diamondback bike from Craigslist and poured over $1200 into it. Much of it was in R&D to come up with exactly what I wanted. I use the Scooter Guy center-frame mount with shift kit. The reliable Tanaka 47R 2.8 hp engine with matching three piece expansion pipe is the key component which perfectly matches my needs as a fast commuter with excellent acceleration. The 4.25 hp GP460 has more power, but is plagued by its unreliable clutch. xct2

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.

I have the local bike trail right behind my house , I don't ride the mb on there often , but I 've had my fill of spandex weekend warriors . Used to offer help when one of them was broke down ,now they act like ther to good for me and my motor bike oh well...