Engine won't start

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I can hear, feel and know first hand how maddening and frustrated you must be Hipnotic. Not fun.

You will get her going. Stuff like this challenges some great minds and well experienced builders. (and I cheer them on)(lol)

Kidding aside, recheck the basic 3. (air, fuel and spark) If absolutely sure those 3 are good, a component has failed.

Just a thought but really helps me. Let it go for a bit and sleep on it. If nothing else, gives you a break. When it is going to be fun again, read, read and read some more. Very often it will just "pop" in your head what is wrong.

I honestly dunno how folks here do so well helping others via text.

Another option is a local lawnmower repair shop. Just a thought but what ever is wrong with her, a tech can probably tell you in a hot minute.

But no matter what, we are all just students and all are learning as we go. You will get it and get her going.

I really do hear how frustrated you are. Take a break. You will master this speed bump. Or, beat it in to a pile of scrap with a sledge. (don't ask me how I know, snork)

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Try a fresh plug and fresh properly mixed fuel. Check all the electrical connections even if they look okay, including the ground inside the case where the coil mounts and especially the kill switch..
I have seen marginal sparking coil windings that made a visible spark and looked good but would not run the engine.
Any water signs inside the mag cover?
Air cleaner not clogged?

hipnotic

Mar 20, 2013
USA
Try a fresh plug and fresh properly mixed fuel. Check all the electrical connections even if they look okay, including the ground inside the case where the coil mounts and especially the kill switch..
I have seen marginal sparking coil windings that made a visible spark and looked good but would not run the engine.
Any water signs inside the mag cover?
Air cleaner not clogged?
One of the first things I did was clean the carb and air filter. I just put a new plug on 2 weeks ago and tried it on my friends and it works great (it's a ngk).. Ill check that ground tomorrow and I've had the kill switch disconnected the whole time I've been trying to fix this. Also I ordered a new magneto a couple days ago so I hope that fixes the problem because my brother was following me on my bike while I was test riding my friends bike I put together for him and he said he went through a puddle and got his left pant leg wet which is the side with the magneto maybe that fido it? Either way I'm just hoping it will fix it as I've tried almost everything and nothing seems to work.

hipnotic

Mar 20, 2013
USA
I can hear, feel and know first hand how maddening and frustrated you must be Hipnotic. Not fun.

You will get her going. Stuff like this challenges some great minds and well experienced builders. (and I cheer them on)(lol)

Kidding aside, recheck the basic 3. (air, fuel and spark) If absolutely sure those 3 are good, a component has failed.

Just a thought but really helps me. Let it go for a bit and sleep on it. If nothing else, gives you a break. When it is going to be fun again, read, read and read some more. Very often it will just "pop" in your head what is wrong.

I honestly dunno how folks here do so well helping others via text.

Another option is a local lawnmower repair shop. Just a thought but what ever is wrong with her, a tech can probably tell you in a hot minute.

But no matter what, we are all just students and all are learning as we go. You will get it and get her going.

I really do hear how frustrated you are. Take a break. You will master this speed bump. Or, beat it in to a pile of scrap with a sledge. (don't ask me how I know, snork)
Thanks for the input!! And I've actually taken it to a few mechanics and none of them would take it on believe it or not..

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Hate to say it but it takes very little water to kill a coil. If your wires are not sealed where they leave the case, all it can take is one puddle to spell the end.
Hopefully the new coil will cure your issue. Be sure to caulk those wires!

hipnotic

Mar 20, 2013
USA
Hate to say it but it takes very little water to kill a coil. If your wires are not sealed where they leave the case, all it can take is one puddle to spell the end.
Hopefully the new coil will cure your issue. Be sure to caulk those wires!
After hearing that I'm glad I ordered it. Hopefully that's the problem!

hipnotic

Mar 20, 2013
USA
New magneto and my engine runs!! Very happy I fixed it because 2 days before it broke I ordered an expansion chamber that I've been dieing to try.. Anyways thanks guys for the help.