Straight Bar Whizzer

GoldenMotor.com

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Since selling my Whizzer a couple years ago, pic. below... I have really missed it and decided to build another like it

I have a bunch of parts from a Briggs project that ended with an internally rusted out frame. I picked up a 1947H last June and sent it to Quenton for a rebuild ( details later) I just received a new solid frame and Sportsman tank from Norm at VMB and took use of free time at work.

Frame before

After.. the frame and Felt forks sandblasted

Dale (msrfan ) posted a thread where he used welded in mounts and after he answered a couple p.m. questions I decided to go that route.

I'm waiting to weld in the mounts as there are a couple more parts (brake tab, seat, tool box, and kick stand mount) that need to be either made or I haven't decided on.

Last edited:

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I am not going to be able to paint until spring and I need to make custom length cables so I spent the day today putting what I have so far together to get measurements.. The front spring bar isn't installed for mock up.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Thanks for the compliments, the wheels are 19in moped rims laced to a Sturmey Dymo drum in front and a Motobecane rear drum the tires are Deestone 2.25in. in front and 2.5in. On the rear they are speed rated for 120km - Quenton rebuilt the motor with all new -bearings, .050 piston, high lift cam, and the ports opened up and polished.

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
hobart tasmania australia
WOW very nice chainmaker,
i like your wheel choice, can i ask with the rear Motobecane hub did you need to spread the frame at all and doe's the hub have mounting point's to run a sprocket ?

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Thanks Guys, and thanks for the nice solid frame Norm. Racie-The tires are right around 25in. Hsvmick- I did need to spread the rear frame to 135mm. I like to use those auto scissor jacks.. they apply even force to each side. And the hub does have provisions for sprocket mounting, Im pretty sure Pat at Sportsman has everything for the hub ( sprocket, and pedal side freewheel)

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
hobart tasmania australia
thank's for input chainmaker,i went on a bit of goggle search i think treatland's have the right stuff too and ship's worldwide very good
i too have brought the front sturney just like yours but the tracking is only 100mm i need 135mm up front thought i could just re-shaft the axle longer but can i find anything in m9 here in tasmania m8 or m10 so on the wheels onto my other bike,
have you a seat as yet i might have to wait to see yours on your bike

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Having this bike mocked up is working out great for ironing out issues, one being...I was setting up compression release and throttle cables last night and saw I was going to be looking at a bowl of spaghetti for cables. I made up some stainless cable noodles at work this morning which should help direct them where I want.

@ Mick- as far as a seat goes I'm probably going with a Sportsman seat, I'm waiting to see what Pat comes up with for a Cruiser saddle. I am most likely going with His bars as well.

HDCowboy

Jan 3, 2015
Texas Gulf Coast
Thats going to be a beautiful bike! I'm new here, just got my parts in for 1st build in the mail today, a SkyHawk GT2_A frame along with a set of Monark T2 springer forks, also ordered a couple 2 stroke China girl engines (one for a spare) to go with it along with some other misc stuff, got an old Cannondale mountain bike in the barn I plan to use for wheels and stuff. I plan on building it board track racer style like your doing with your Whizzer But anyways I aint even started my 1st build yet and allready getting ideas for my second, I'm thinking a Sportsman Flyer frame like this........

http://www.worksmancycles.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/flyer-btr.html

with one of those new Cruzzer/Whizzer engines mounted in it would look killer!

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
Thanks Guys, and thanks for the nice solid frame Norm. Racie-The tires are right around 25in. Hsvmick- I did need to spread the rear frame to 135mm. I like to use those auto scissor jacks.. they apply even force to each side. And the hub does have provisions for sprocket mounting, Im pretty sure Pat at Sportsman has everything for the hub ( sprocket, and pedal side freewheel)
I've spread frames and used RusticoRay's technique. He rammed a 4 x 4 up in the frame as far as it would go & that really spread out the rear of the frame. Then he uses a ratchet tie down to pull the rear of the frame back together. LOL it works .