adjusting the clutchs spring for more tension

GoldenMotor.com

RawRawRaw

Mar 9, 2013
Los Angeles
Hi Norman,

I've read all the post and studied all the pics on the forum regarding the 80cc clutch. I've pulled all the parts off the shaft. It appears the inner shaft is frozen inside the outer shaft. Any ideas on how to remedy this?

Thanks,
Philip

i think i have same issue:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s2h7eiil3r0lakl/20130312_135537.jpg

The clutch worked, maybe poorly but it worked, until i took the cover off :(
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ix3ffioqagovwfi/20130312_135531.jpg

Yes, I did get mine working properly. After getting the main shaft off the motor, I also removed the clutch cover, then the clutch base. once those two pieces are off, you can the remove the bearing. After the bearing is off, you can unscrew the spring retainer (star nut). Once the spring retainer (star nut) and the spring is off, you'll be left with the other side of the spring retainer (sliding retainer), the main shaft, the inner shaft, and the retainer pin. use a punch to tap out the retainer pin. now the sliding spring retainer and the inner shaft can be separated. Here, you fill find that the sliding spring retainer is a very poor fitting and rough part when mated to the main shaft. The inner shaft is proably rusted in the main shaft too. Clean it all out, finely sand paper and polish all the parts, put some high quality grease on all the surfaces. Make sure everything is fitting properly and smooth. It should all work after that.

By the way, my engine did not come with the steel ball between the clutch lever and the inner shaft. I had to buy one. And no, I didn't accidently drop it! haha.

Good Luck!

I don't follow

RawRawRaw

Mar 9, 2013
Los Angeles
I'm going to call the left side is the side with the clutch and chain.

After dripping some oil in the hole of the shaft, and taking the cover off the right side, and giving it a few knocks, i still couldnt get the inner part free.

I think the inner shaft and the ball are stuck inside somehow.

Again, the clutch was working, i eased into it, and after doing that once my acceleration performance went down, and i had to peddle to pick up speed, but once i got to speed it would stay there.

I took the clutch cover off, and did not see a inner shaft and ball shoot out. Instead, I see the whole in outer shaft and nothing for the clutch to push in, but it was working before I opened it.

I took the motor off the frame, and tried dismantelling it (splitting the casing) I almost got all screws off, but some are just on too tight, and the screw top is getting twisted through.

I'm kind of stuck. How do I get the whole shaft out for the clutch to work?

Mar 31, 2013
RI
thanks Norman for this and all your other threads, i really appreciate you sharin' your know-how and the pictures really help.

If you have gone that far you may as well disassemble the entire thing. It a great learning experience. Go HERE for a visual guide on how to take things apart.
...and thank you too man for that link, is there a thread that goes along with these pics? ...maybe explains things a bit?

peace, bozo

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
So how does this actually work Norm,,is the retainer threaded onto the shaft and by screwing it in tightens the spring,,i don't understand?

I do have a clutch that is on the weak side and would like to try this method.

Thanks Tommy :)

Update,,I think I get it now that I looked at the pics again,,the retainer is threaded and goes onto the shaft,,what holds the retainer in place so it wont spin out of adjustment after its set??

Thanks Tom

Last edited:

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
So how does this actually work Norm,,is the retainer threaded onto the shaft and by screwing it in tightens the spring,,i don't understand?

I do have a clutch that is on the weak side and would like to try this method.

Thanks Tommy :)

Update,,I think I get it now that I looked at the pics again,,the retainer is threaded and goes onto the shaft,,what holds the retainer in place so it wont spin out of adjustment after its set??

Thanks Tom
sheer tension and friction holds the retainer in place, the whole shaft spins with the sprocket/clutch so you'd have to run a TON of torque to get it to spin under sheer acceleration.

After taking apart my clutch today the easiest way I can explain how to do it is below. Please note if you find your clutch arm swings way too far in, like mine, this probably wont solve your problem, as the clutch spring is pretty intensely strong and will push the bucking bar all the way back out without a problem. If the clutch arm is swinging too far, your problem most likely is you tried to tighten the clutch using the flower nut. While yes, this will work, the threads are smaller and finer on the flower nut so you risk stripping them, and it wont allow the full swing of the clutch arm. So in the end, dont use the flower nut to tighten the clutch, and if reassembling, dont pull the clutch handle in and tighten it, even finger tight is too much at full pull use the below method instead to tighten your spring.

The solution is actually quite easy and doesnt require disassembly of the whole motor, just taking out the clutch cable guide for a few minutes. First, remove the spark plug so you can roll the bike easily. Then remove the clutch cable guide (this means taking the clutch cable off completely!) The retainer notches are 4mm each, so I use a 3.5mm flathead screwdriver, simply stick it in the hole closest to the clutch side and roll the bike back or forth to find the notch. Then, with the screwdriver in there, just roll your bike backward to tighten it. If it's not currently on a bike and you want it to be tight, then you can use the spark plug tool (or 21mm wrench, some have are 16mm and some have both sides) and turn the sprocket nut clockwise. Doing it from the clutch side would, in theory, work, but considering you'd have to turn it counter-clockwise, you'd only loosen the M14 nut, and do nothing to the clutch spring.

Last edited:

stinky

May 21, 2011
The South
Norm!! What torque should I get on the two clutch shaft nuts?

I was going around trying to start my bike, and the clutch was slipping
and not engaging the engine. Adjusted it once or twice, and knew it was
too much, so I popped off the clutch.

In doing so I noticed the outer clutch(geared part) was loose, it tilted like a 1/4 inch or so and I could see the ball bearings at the tilt seperation. When I started playing with the shaft nut, it was loose!!! I tightened up the nut with the clutch out and
holding onto the tire untill i ripped the tire out of my hand, but that is as tight as I could get it.

So pull the other side sprocket and re tighten whole thing?

Wish there was a torque specifications list for whole engine.
Perhaps someone will make it one day......

[email protected]

Jan 27, 2015
British Colombia. Canada
now some pictures of the shaft apart and some info on the size of the small ball inside of the clutch the ball that like to fall out and hide on you. the balls size is 0.312 thousands of an inch

taking the shaft apart just to show you the retainer is removed here screws off right hand threads and it releases all tension before it comes off so it won't go flying

this is the shaft at rest notice to the right the small shaft it is the star nuts threaded stud sticking out I have a white pointer pointing at it

I'm pushing on the small shaft just like the clutch lever would do moving the shaft inside of the main shaft you can see more of the star nuts shaft sticking out on the right this would be just like you pulling in on the clutch lever I have the tensioner remover so I can do this other wise the big spring would let me move it this easily.That big spring IS the clutch spring, it is what puts pressure on the clutch.
thanks for explaining how to do the adjustments! wonderful pics!

Nanfoe

Oct 15, 2016
Florida
Norm is there suppose to be a little play with the clutch pads? Like in those 15 holes on the plate, are they suppose to be a lil free or tight? Thanks in advanced.