what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

thanks taco, i just cut out my own. a bandsaw and a drill with some good grinding bits is all i need. it's a little time consuming, but i like the DIY feeling.
I hear ya on the diy feelng!!! I have like 75 flanges so i figured id offer ya a few

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS

Tonight I fired up the bike after cutting a notch in my idle adjust screw and putting on another gas tank strap and then went for a 10 mile ride to get guitar strings in 9 below far. with a 20 below far. wind chill factor, and It ran great-never had to go over 1/4 throttle lots of power....but when I got back, I noticed that there was almost no gas left and I started with a full tank.

a few days ago I put a new inline fuel filter at the end of my gas line inside the tank. It's a real nice one.
I did a 20 mile ride this past summer and drained a 2 liter tank so that doesent really sound like a problem to me I rode about 10 miles today in the snow and killed a half tank

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Not been able to do much. (See pics) Test ridding new 50 T early this week, Awesome! Low, mid range is slow to get going but tops out around 4K RPM. Just hums along at 34 MPH (guessing, speedo keeps freaking out and GPS batt dies real fast in the cold) At that RPM and with the rubber muffler, I keep thinking the thousands of hrs and dollars spent and I successfully built a scooter by the sound, snork. I might try the 52T rear but think I am close to actually being done with this build. Is a cheap build but exactly and I mean exactly the MB I saw in my head when I first saw an add for MB kits just a few yrs back and is my personal favorite, bar none. Pales by comparison to the works of art I have seen here. Cheap kmart bicycle and a $100 engine but man, she is purty! Eye of the beholder and proud Poppa sort of thing I guess.

Factory space might have fallen threw. (the deal, not the actual space)

good thread on winter motorized bicycles http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=26612

Attachments

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

Finally got my front tire studded(only out the sides) and mounted. Studded an old 2.25 mtb tire with 100 #6x3/4" round heads through the nibs on the tread (double spaced), would've had to use 1/2" if I had fenders/stock forks on that ride, they stick out like crazy. I cut the bead off an old 1.75 road tire and used that as a liner(got that tip here somewhere, sry forget who), and went for a boot.

Wow, do the studs ever add a 'gyroscopic' effect to the steering from the extra weight, that'll take some getting used to. I've only done the front tire so far because that's what's recommended, a fishtail is easier to control than a faceplant, right?

Obligatory pics:

I think I'm going to slap on a couple of cut-up 2L's(a la WildAlaskin's ride) for a front fender on that bike. Salt tastes better on Fries, oh, and without grime... :)

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

Holy **** Dan, That's crazy snow you got down there! I only got half that O_O!

Hey as long as you love your ride, nothing else matters... evar!

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

Thanks, I didn't really need them today, but my next muchie-run should be wipe-out free. I did a little slopping around in some snow, they really do help. You should put your stud-tires on Blake it'll save from worrying about wiping out, oh, and actually wiping out :D

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Wow Killer! That looks BA!!! Really does. More importantly, looks like it'll keep ya right side up.
The snow, yeah, we got slammed good. They said 22" but was 3 foot most spots in the yard. Dawg got freaked out. She normally loves the snow. LOL, she walked off this lil wall that is the landing to the yard/porch. Was over her head. Looked like a kid who jumped in the deep end of the pool not knowing and panicked. Poor dopey dog. Threw a few snow balls at her and she got back to lovn' it.
If you have the time, could you do a post on your snow ice tires? Really looks great. I tried it with 1/2 rivets. Need to work a lil harder at it.

Blacken, I forgot the warming up strokes. Prolly a whole bunch more, lol

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

Sure thing Dan, I'll take some pics and let ppl know how I went about it. I need to make sure my tube isn't twisted anyway, no prob.

Lol, poor dog, out for a pee and then *chasm into the dark*

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Thanks Killer! Side note, think we are going to finally get the MB magazine going. http://motorbicycling.com/f3/motorbicycling-com-magizine-1743-3.html#post248757 I have to invest in the right kind of printer or see about having it professorially done. LOL, sorta on topic. (not even close.... But every one save their "how2s" and interesting links)

Vid of her playing in the snow after it was her friend again. She is a fairly large dog and is in the lee of that tree. Snow was not any where near as deep. Just after the cell phone shut off vid, she came running back up and was hysterical. She had to jump up and over, repeatedly. Was saturated with snow and out of breath.

Snow :: SnowShellyvid.mp4 video by dan3xd - Photobucket

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska

@ killer um wow dude those are some seriouse looking spikes i bet the handling is alot harder but if they give you traction then right on

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ

Worked out that I'm using roughly 10+% less fuel after moving the cliP up to the middle and the plug looks a he11 of alot better bike seems happier too now to slowly lean out the oil ratio..lol I'm such a tightass sometimes

thine82

Nov 26, 2010
kingston ny

my bike is going slow.. at 15mph .. doesnt sound like a air leak.. could i hear it if it was? my clutch acts fine until it runs for a short bit and then when i go to pull the clutch lever in and lock it in place.. it then does not want to free wheel. but yes it free wheels at first.. any ideas? i know this might be off topic but i ride mine everyday and need it for work and yeah i ran it through a few snow banks today because i wanted to see how far i could make it through the twelve foot section that was cover by about three feet of snow..lmao.. made it through it. wonder if i should just get a new engine and rip this one apart and fix it just incase i need it for later or i could make it a really fast one.. lend me a hand guys.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Is a good plan to have a spare engine on hand if your depending on your bike to get to work. Just a thought, I would try and get one from where you got your kit for "swap-ability" of parts. A good many dealers sell just the engine. I did a quick search and found this; motor motorized gas engine bike REPLACE 66cc engine new on eBay!

Also could check swap shop section and fellow MBers near you. Cool part of our crazy lil world, folks love to help ya out.

Did I ever tell you Thine, I used to live on Fair st in your fair city? Then moved to Palenvile.

Last edited:

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ

During a 2hr straight ride I was about 500m from home when all of a sudden the darn mag. seal popped out causing the motor to rev high I pulled the choke in to try and kill the motor but only brought it back to a dull roar, stopped and shut it off. Replaced the mag seal then off to work for another 30min ride this bike gets no rest.
Def. agree with having a spare motor though its a must IMO when ya really gotta rely on'em especially if ya push'em hard.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska

wow breno at least you were close to home

last night while riding home all bundled up my face got frost bittin it was -11 in some parts of town and it felt like i should have worn another layer but i toughed it to and from work the bike seemed to run weak at wot but just fine till about 3/4 or 7/8 throttle

having a apare motor is great i used my dads as a spare to replace my first one when my bearings went out

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

my bike is going slow.. at 15mph .. doesnt sound like a air leak.. could i hear it if it was? my clutch acts fine until it runs for a short bit and then when i go to pull the clutch lever in and lock it in place.. it then does not want to free wheel. but yes it free wheels at first.. any ideas? i know this might be off topic but i ride mine everyday and need it for work and yeah i ran it through a few snow banks today because i wanted to see how far i could make it through the twelve foot section that was cover by about three feet of snow..lmao.. made it through it. wonder if i should just get a new engine and rip this one apart and fix it just incase i need it for later or i could make it a really fast one.. lend me a hand guys.
I suggest either tightening up the cable adjustment to give less free play in the clutch cable. Do bear in mind that you still need a teensy bit of free play to avoid prematurely wearing out the release components.

Or..... Turning the flower nut out a notch or two to put less initial spring pressure on the clutch friction pads. Just don't get it too loose or else the clutch will slip under load.

Also, be sure that the release ball and clutch hub bearings are properly greased.