acme motor bikes new bike

GoldenMotor.com

Waspswatter

Feb 17, 2009
Wisconsin, USA
Very nice. :) Is that a custom frame or a modification? Can you share how you built that tank? I'm planning a boardtrack "style" build with an old Schwinn frame and I'd like some more info.

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
the frame is actually a cranebrook. the tank is beat out on a shot bag and formed on an english wheel, then the 2 halfs are welded to the frame. what i like about using that style tank is that you can change the style of the whole bike by just changing a few accessories. add down turned bars and you've got a board tracker, moon bars and it's a cruiser. black knobies and stright bars and i'ts a TT bike. the possibilitys are endless.

Waspswatter

Feb 17, 2009
Wisconsin, USA
the frame is actually a cranebrook. the tank is beat out on a shot bag and formed on an english wheel, then the 2 halfs are welded to the frame. what i like about using that style tank is that you can change the style of the whole bike by just changing a few accessories. add down turned bars and you've got a board tracker, moon bars and it's a cruiser. black knobies and stright bars and i'ts a TT bike. the possibilitys are endless.

That sure sounds like a lot of work, but it definately looks worth it to me. Plus, now you have 4 bikes in one!

(If only I knew how to weld) :-||

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
yeah, the fork is just for looks and stiffening up the front end. with the pipe and porting mods this bike is pushing close to 40mph. a springer is a little loose at those speeds.

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
yeah, the fork is just for looks and stiffening up the front end. with the pipe and porting mods this bike is pushing close to 40mph. a springer is a little loose at those speeds.
This one goes 44mph and handles superbly... I wouldn't worry about springers.

Last edited:

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
Brett is there dampening in that springer? Cause if you go thru a corner hard enough to compress those springs you going to see some serious pogo if there isn't. With the disk caliper mounted there does it raise when you apply the front brake? Very cool looking chopper. Camlifter just like everyone else said really great looking tank.

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
Have you actually experienced this phenomena , Junster....?

Because I haven't with this set up. If you take notice, my springer front end has 4 springs;
2 springs that oppose 2 springs. These springs are all matched to each other,
and are always counteracting on each other. There is no "pogo" action.....
only a return movement. The opposing springs are always there,
pushing the wall between them back to the neutral point.
2 spring units are unable to do this, unless they are set up
over-under and oppose each other as well.

Oh yeah, and just like a disc braked mountain bike suspension fork, there is a little dive upon braking.
I rip this bike through turns and slam on the brakes hard. It's really not enough to bother me in any way.

Brett is there dampening in that springer? Cause if you go thru a corner hard enough to compress those springs you going to see some serious pogo if there isn't. With the disk caliper mounted there does it raise when you apply the front brake? Very cool looking chopper. Camlifter just like everyone else said really great looking tank.

Last edited:

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
Yes I have but only on a motorcycle with a similar springer. If you look the stock harley springers and that monark springer you'll see the moment arm the wheel attaches to is very short. Newer long springers at least good quality ones have a shock built into them. What happens is if you ride into a corner hard enough for the centrifical weight to compress the suspension. With out the dampening the springer will collaspe down then spring back up, down again, then back up. Each time it will pogo the front wheel a few inches to the outside of the curve. A bike may not have enough weight to do this. The first time it happened to me was at about 60mph in a 35mph corner. Fortunately I ran out of corner before it pogo'd me off the road. The same thing nearly killed a friend of mine it put him into a guard rail. Your seat is back far enough that most of your weight is on the rear tire. Bicycle tires may not hold the road enough for it to happen anyway. They may slide out from under you before you can get enough weight on them for it too happen. But it is very real, I had to pry my seatcover out of my cheeks the first time it happened to me. If you ever do have it happen with the brake mounted like that you can apply the brake and force it to stop. That's why I asked if the front end when up or down when you hit the brake.

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
Hmmm.....
Not sure why I haven't experienced this.
I have never lost traction in a corner at speed either.
That occurance would be freaky on a bigger motorcycle.
I'm going to research the phenomena...

How much rake did you have in the bike with the springer?
Do you know your approximate Trail?

'Brett