Need clutch expertise.

GoldenMotor.com

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
Well she's still chirping.Loud chirp!I fixed the clutch gear rubbing on cover to no avail.I can gun the engine with the clutch in and it sounds sweet,no chirp.
The one thing I noticed is the large clutch gear seems to turn with a wobble.With cover off and clutch plate removed the large gear won't turn on the shaft but is loose to move in and out slightly.But even if I press on it firmly and and turn over using rear wheel I can notice a definite wobble.Surely that not normal,is it?Thought I might ask before studying Normans Tutes and pulling it apart.Thanks Ron

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
First thing I would make sure of is that you slid the key in properly as it sounds like you may have installed the clutch in a way that it got jammed up and did not "seat" properly.
I think you should remove it again, remove the key, and try to see if you need to do any cleaning up (with sandpaper) .

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
Thanks Toy.The only thing I removed was the outer clutch plate(with adjuster on front)I need to delve a little deeper After I study up on it.Ron

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
OK,so I decided to pull large clutch gear to see what may be causing wobble.First I tried to remove small bevel gear on end of crank.Took of the large slotted screw and lock washer.Oiled up and installed puller.Well this gear ain't budging.Turn puller until I thought I was going to strip it's threads.I don't actually have to pull this small gear to remove the large one right?Still like to know any tips for freeing up that little rascal.Did try WD40 and a heat gun. Thanks Ron

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
To be honest I can't remember as I have never had to work on my engine much but I don't see why the small gear would have to be removed.
The way I remember it, the clutch has a ring gear that lines up with the smaller gear that you can't remove.
Excuse me if I am mixed up but are you not the one that had to change your bearings to stop the chirping sound? I seem to remember helping a member about this.

I can understand your fear using the puller. With these engines you have to be so careful.
Keep in mind that as you are pulling, nothing will give you an indication that things are going along OK and then all of a sudden it will just pop off. I'm the kind of guy that will give it "just one more turn" and screw everything up so it's a very tuff call.
Try this...tighten the puller as much as you dare and then smack it with a hammer. That should do it as the puller will be pulling as you smack it.

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
No,I never have removed my bearings.I did remove the large gear.No puller needed here as it has a sloppy fit to the shaft I think it is only going to run as true as the back of it seats up against the bearing.Although it may not seat against the bearing.Before I took it apart,the large gear had a little in and out play and I forgot to check it after I put it back together.It did have a hump on this rear flange where the keyway was milled out.I filed that flat and put it back together.Still wobbles a little,but chirps a lot less.All I know is it's a beautiful day and I need to do a lot more riding and a lot less fretting.Going on a beer run right now in fact,Ron

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
The clutch assembly will wobble and its seems loose but that's the nature of the beast and your noise might just be some of them things you will need to learn to live with. my black bike has a nasty gear whine that starts about mid throttle and goes until I'm going faster than I like to ride so I try to not let the gear noise bother me too much. I now have a 36 tooth sprocket on the rear and I can go about 20 to 25 mph with the throttle about 1/8 of the way open darn bike is too fast but at the lower speed I'm riding at I can keep it out of the gear whine noise area.
As for the gear puller I use a never seize lube on the threads to keep it from galling and if I think I'm going to damage something by over tightening I'll stop and take a look to make sure I don't damage something years of me screwing up things is now paying off as I'm alot more careful in my older age.
Norman

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
Norman:Yeah,I'm sure I'll get used to it.It's funny,At first I thought it would be nice to have a high quality motor of a similar design,nice and tight.Now I realize I would probably just die of boredom.Ron

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
You can do as my third wife did, when she told me the alternator had to be replaced on the road for $175 (this was several years ago as I'm now on wife five) I asked her if she hadn't heard it whine. Since I could have done the job for under fifty dollars back then.

Her reply was "Yeah but I just turned the radio up and it went away."

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Hey I bought a chinese bike kit with very limited mechanical experience, shouldn't that tell you about glutton for punishment.