What's your MTBF?

GoldenMotor.com

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Mean time between failures- how often do you break down and have to bring out the tools in your backpack? And what fails?

When I just got my bike running my MTBF was around 15 min, then it went to 1hr and now it is up to 2hrs (and counting). Mostly due to my forgetting to apply loctite on critical parts and put gas in the tank laff

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
my daily driver is at about 2 years now if you don't count occasionally tightening a fender bolt or the kickstand bolt or adjusting a cable or chain

Last edited:

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
My first bike was high maintenance but didn't break down often, just needed constant adjustments. Second bike went through 3 engines. Then I stopped messing with kits and went 4 stroke. 3rd bike, pretty much same thing as first. And I don't count user errors as breakdowns unless they result in a catastrophic failure. I guess maybe people have different definitions of a breakdown, mine is when the machine fails and it's not due to user error, or a user error causes a catastrophic failure. If a small error causes a temporary interruption of operation and the error can be corrected with no permanent effects, that's not a break down. So in reality, my last bike never actually broke down, I damaged the crankcase gasket and chose not to replace it. I have no idea of my actual time between failures, but I do know I did eventually get to the point where I stopped carrying tools altogether.

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
Hey beginner, I have a question. You said you didn't care for the cvt driver clutch, and you went back to your original pulley clutch. Did you keep the driven unit, and does it still shift? Cause I'm thinking of a variable speed belt drive using a pulley clutch and driven unit and controlling the belt tension manually. I just don't know if that will work or not. But am curious.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
My first bike didn't break down but would have if I didn't catch a critical issue with the crank during a routine inspection after about 90 minutes of total run time... my next engine didn't have that problem and still running strong almost a year later...
I also had an nt speed carb with the built in fuel shut off valve that kept the carb high maintenance until I finally gutted the built in shutoff valve....