GoldenMotor.com

RedRider48

Nov 21, 2013
Severna Park, MD
Hi All,
Another new guy checking in. I recently became interested in motorized bikes after seeing one in an antique shop. It was a late 40's Whizzer Viking. Kinda liked it. I currently own and have restored a couple Allstate vintage Vespas and am working on an Allstate moped. So, I knee deep in liking these little guys.
Currently, I'm toying with the idea of building my own motorized bike with a classic theme. With this being stated, I'll end with......
Hope to learn a thing or two from you guys.

Ken

Attachments

Last edited:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
welcome to our world of the motorized bicycle redrider. i believe you will like it here. we look forward to seeing you creations

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
You're going to have a lot of fun riding your bike. Just pay attention at all times while riding. The biggest thing we have to look out for is people pulling out in front of us. They often think we're on a regular bicycle and don't realize how fast we're going.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to our community. I think you'll find it a lot of fun here. There are plenty of vintage folks and those who like the older stuff. I might be starting a 1973 Honda 70 restoration very soon meself.
Glad you found and joined us.

Tom

RedRider48

Nov 21, 2013
Severna Park, MD
Sweet , little red bike you got there. How many MPH. top speed . nice ride
It'll top around 35-40 mph. It's a 3 speed left side foot shifter. However, unlike my Allstate 250, 1st is up, down to neutral, 2nd and 3rd. My Allstate, is down to 1st, back up to neutral, 2nd, third and 4th. When I first cranked up the campus, I couldn't figure out why I had such a hard time, getting away from start. I went back through the owner's manual and found I was trying to start off in 2nd, each time. Sometimes it pays to read directions. LOL!

paintgun

Nov 17, 2013
Illinois
Back 30-some years ago, I had a Yamaha U5E. 50cc Electric start w/3-speed gearbox. It had a centrifugal clutch. All 3 gears was down. It had a double-ended shifter so it was easy on shoes. Just had to step down on the back end of the shifter to down-shift. It would top out about 35MPH before I bored it out to the gills. Got a little over 40 after that. Here is a pic of one. Not mine but one I found on the web.

RedRider48

Nov 21, 2013
Severna Park, MD
Back 30-some years ago, I had a Yamaha U5E. 50cc Electric start w/3-speed gearbox. It had a centrifugal clutch. All 3 gears was down. It had a double-ended shifter so it was easy on shoes. Just had to step down on the back end of the shifter to down-shift. It would top out about 35MPH before I bored it out to the gills. Got a little over 40 after that. Here is a pic of one. Not mine but one I found on the web.

That is similar to another PUCH scoot/cycle (Compact DS60 58cc), as it looks like a scoot, but, shifts similar to the Yammy. The US version is a 3 speed dbl. paddle toe shifter. The Euro version is a "twisty". A twisty is a left hand clutch and shifter system. It's very good original condition considering it's age. It had a few missing pieces I sourced from Europe.

Attachments

Powertool

Jul 8, 2012
Bradford,TN.
Years ago , I had a Honda - 90 ( 1963 ) model . My father made me sell it cause I had gotten stopped by a state trooper , and got 3 tickets. Still wish I had it , it would be worth a mint . I only paid 150.00 in 1978 , and all it needed was a new clutch cable .

RedRider48

Nov 21, 2013
Severna Park, MD
Years ago , I had a Honda - 90 ( 1963 ) model . My father made me sell it cause I had gotten stopped by a state trooper , and got 3 tickets. Still wish I had it , it would be worth a mint . I only paid 150.00 in 1978 , and all it needed was a new clutch cable .
Yeah, I know about those 90s. All of the rich kids rode those 90s, Honda Dreams and Vespas to HS. I had to take the bus. It was that remembrance that caused me a couple years ago to seek out a Vespa to enjoy.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Hate to hijack your intro thread, Ken but I was at my mother-in-law's place today and took a few pix of that 1973 Honda 70 that I want to restore this winter. It looks very much like the Yamaha paintgun posted a photo of.
It's all there, even the mirrors, which currently on on two of my motorized bikes.

Maybe I'll start a thread on the restoration but it isn't really something that will interest most members, so maybe not. I'll let you know.

Tom

Attachments

paintgun

Nov 17, 2013
Illinois
I, personally, would love to see progress pics of the resto. Yes, it seems Honda and Yamaha shared designs. What year is your Honda? My Yamaha was a 1969.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I, personally, would love to see progress pics of the resto. Yes, it seems Honda and Yamaha shared designs. What year is yours? My Yamaha was a 1969.
It's a 73. I started it today and the thing runs good. A little smokey but that could be old oil in the exhaust. It hasn't been started for about six years as best as anyone can remember.

Tom