2-stroke vs 4-stroke

GoldenMotor.com

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
If you plan to commute on it daily, build a 4 stroke (no mixing gas and oil).
Otherwise, a two stroke is simpler and normally cheaper.
Some guys just don't like the sound of a two stroke. Personal preference.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I think a small 4 stroker for cruising the neighborhood and daily riding but a 2 stroker for racing.dnut

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I've put a number of miles on both, I prefer the 4-stroke. The 2-strokes are compact and make nice power for their size, but the 4-stroke has it beat in long run reliability.
Mebbe you can enlighten me on the reliability part? I know China H.T. kits are junk and will not argue that... Erm'm I don't use thosednutdnut

Codiferous

Aug 31, 2012
Miami, FL
I prefer my two stroke. Its cheap to replace, fairly reliable, a little loud but i like it. Plus, my bike strives on the old look, and the four stroke wouldnt cut it in that respect

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Well when I do think about it a low powered 4 stroke kit will likely have less vibration than a bigger one. A plus side to the introductory power lever 4 stroke can be forgiving too as it would be better suited to the Walmart bikes these days that folks flock to. In light of buying the cheapest stuff possible..

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I have both.
I really like the power that the 2 stroke puts out. I don't like the cheap bearings and nearly non-existent quality control that it was made with though.
I really like knowing that my 4 stroke will last a long, long time without any modifications necessary. It is quieter, requires less maintenance, runs smoother by a huge margin, and so far has been much cheaper to operate, though it cost more initially to get.

Last edited:

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I have both.
I really like the power that the 2 stroke puts out. I don't like the cheap bearings and nearly non-existent quality control that it was made with though.
I really like knowing that my 4 stroke will last a long, long time without any modifications necessary. It is quieter, requires less maintenance, runs smoother by a huge margin, and so far has been much cheaper to operate, though it cost more initially to get.
GearNut,
What motor would you recommend and is it spindle or chain driven?

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
if we are talking about kits 2 strokes vs kit 50cc 4 strokes, 4 strokes have about the same power, are bigger and more expensive, but much more reliable. the 2 strokes look better, too. i am still building my 99cc predator. the disadvantages are size, weight and price for the drive train, to be expected because it's not a kit. they are cheap to replace, only $100. tons of power and reliability. i have a 2 stroke 125 dirt bike and love it, i like the sound and power. super light, too. the only good 2 stroke for motor bikes is the morrini and similar engines that cost more than $400. i've never rode one but i like manual clutches so i will never buy one. i am thinking of using a 65cc dirt bike engine for my next build, they are super light 5 speed manual 14hp screamers. i will buy a bike and part it out, possibly getting the engine for free plus my labor. i calculated it will have a better power/weight ratio than a kawasaki ninja 250.

bottom line, it's personal preference. what kind of performance do you want? what is your budget? what skills do you have?

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
if we are talking about kits 2 strokes vs kit 50cc 4 strokes, 4 strokes have about the same power, are bigger and more expensive, but much more reliable. the 2 strokes look better, too. i am still building my 99cc predator. the disadvantages are size, weight and price for the drive train, to be expected because it's not a kit. they are cheap to replace, only $100. tons of power and reliability. i have a 2 stroke 125 dirt bike and love it, i like the sound and power. super light, too. the only good 2 stroke for motor bikes is the morrini and similar engines that cost more than $400. i've never rode one but i like manual clutches so i will never buy one. i am thinking of using a 65cc dirt bike engine for my next build, they are super light 5 speed manual 14hp screamers. i will buy a bike and part it out, possibly getting the engine for free plus my labor. i calculated it will have a better power/weight ratio than a kawasaki ninja 250.

bottom line, it's personal preference. what kind of performance do you want? what is your budget? what skills do you have?
what bike engine are thinking thats that powerful and small? im looking into new engine options

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
they are easier to mount than 4 strokes, and have the gearbox built in. all ya need is a gas tank, throttle, and sprocket. almost as much power as a 212cc predator. the biggest problem people have with installation is the exhaust pipe, it must be curved around the down tube. might be too much power for some people.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
GearNut,
What motor would you recommend and is it spindle or chain driven?
I have a HuaSheng 142F which is a clone of a Honda GXH50, both 49cc
5/8" output shaft.
I recommend either if them. Arguably the Honda is better built, but the HuaSheng is no slouch either and costs alot less.

From what I have read the Harbor Freight engines are very good quality, and I would recommend them as well based on all of the positive feedback from the many owners of them on this site. I have no experience with them though.

To cut my rambling short:
If you are going for a complete kit, I recommend an EZM kit first followed closely by the stage III 4GT kit with the 100 tooth solid flywheel and 12 tooth freewheeling output sprocket.
HuaSheng engine for both.
Neither are speed demons, 35 to 38 MPH top speed, But I personally don't want to go that fast on a bicycle anyways.
That's what motorcycles are for.