EBiker from Humboldt County California

GoldenMotor.com

A2B Turek

Dec 18, 2011
Eureka, CA
Even before I moved to California I was thinking of getting a motorbike, a Royal Enfield.

The Royal Enfield Bullet, a 2010 version of the award winning British motorcycle of the 1950s. The updated classic gets 85 miles per gallon, pretty slick bike, looks like something Steve McQueen would have ridden in the day.

I didn’t get the Bullet, I got an A2B Metro.

I’d been considering an electric bicycle while still living in Juneau, Alaska but it was just too wet and the cycling season too short to invest in an electric bike. After I moved to California I purchased a 2010 Ultra Motor A2B Metro, a German designed LEV (Light Electric Vehicle), an Ebike. The A2B is the MoPed for the 21st Century. On the motor alone it’ll go 20 mph and 20 miles per charge, pedaling adds speed and range. Since the A2B is considered a bicycle not a motor scooter you don’t need a license, registration or insurance. I have a 4 mile commute to work so this is the perfect ride for me. Since I do pedal while riding I’m still getting exercise and the scooter is a blast, rides more like a motorcycle than a bicycle and it’s got a throttle. I can even get a little air, ala Steve McQueen in “The Great Escape,” coming out of the marina parking lot. I figured the A2B would satisfy my motorcycle dreams and it has for now.

I’ve had the A2B for a year and a half ridding it more than 1,500 miles. My commute to work is 4 miles and on many days I’ll take the long way home through Old Town and along the harbor. The problems I’ve had with the bike are the motors. I’m on my third motor. The first motor, an M2 was pretty noisy could not handle the Eureka hills, not going uphill but going down. The motor would shut off going downhill – seemed counter intuitive to me. I was told by Ultra Motor that this was due to the controller sensing too much heat in the motor. This was such a problem I really couldn’t ride the bike. Ultra Motor sent a replacement motor, a M6 to my dealer. The M6 was quieter, seemed to have a bit more power and although occasionally also shut off going downhill it wasn’t as bad as the M2. I rode with this motor for about 6 months. One day as I was accelerating up a slight incline the motor shut down, actually freezing up. Luckily I was only about a quarter mile from the shop. Ultra Motor replaced the M6 with an M7. The M7 rarely shuts off going downhill. When it does shut down I turn it off for a second and it comes back on, much sooner than the M6 did. The M7 is quiet and responsive. Ultra Motor and my dealer have been very good with warranty work. And Ultra Motor has addressed this problem in the 2011 model by removing the controller from inside the motor to inside the frame.

Upgrades – I’ve installed Potenza bicycle panniers and a Swagman rack box, bicycle tail and head lights and a folding rear view mirror. I found the original seat to be fine for riding without pedaling but uncomfortable under peddle, replacing the stock seat with a Serfas gell saddle. I also installed front and rear hydraulic brakes and Shinko motor scooter tires. The tires and hydro brakes have improved handling and braking considerably.

I ride almost daily saving on gas, insurance and other transportation costs. The Metro is closer to a motor scooter or small motorcycle than a bicycle, handling and riding like a motorcycle. The motor is the primary power source with pedaling secondary. The ride comfort is much better than a bicycle, the full suspension and the bike’s weight (80 lbs) make riding very comfortable. And it’s more fun to ride than a bicycle because it’s got a throttle. If you want an electric bicycle, a pedelec the A2B Metro is not for you. If you want a Light Electric Vehicle that rides like a motorcycle and that you can still peddle for power and exercise then this bike is for you.

About those motorcycle dreams, they’ve been rekindled by electric motorcycles, in particular the BRD RedShift SM but I would miss peddles.

I'd like to hear from other EBikers out there.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. If your emotor overheated in Eureka, no telling what could happen to it in Houston. I'm glad you are enjoying the A2B. Your commute distance seems doable without needing to spend too much on batteries.
We have a Royal Enfield dealer in my town. I like the big single cylinder thumpers.

porch lizard

Nov 7, 2011
Scarville, Iowa
Hi A2BTurek....Have you ever been to Bridgeville,CA? I lived there, out of my backpack, for a year. Its 40 miles inland from Eureka on Van Duzen river also on hwy 36. I'm now in Scarville, IA, a town of about 80 people. I miss the calif. beautiful country. Anyway, I can appreciate your fun with electric bikes. I bought an eZip Trailz electric bike in March 2011, and rode it until Oct putting over 2500 miles on it. I did a daily 32 mile round trip to Rake, IA, a town of around 200 (big city around here). The top speed is 16mph, distance 20 - 25 miles per charge. I had to charge the batteries before heading home (4-6 hrs) so I was stuck there until charged back up again. Thats OK because in Rake, I had a shop with welders, grinders, chop saws, benches, vises, scrap metals, etc. to use all day on my projects. I built an electric push trailer for my eZip, put a couple of bikes together, got my Kawasaki 1968 250cc twin 2 stroke going again, and finally, put together my first MB kit on a Cranbrook. The e-bikes are fine wonderful rides, but I needed more distance from it to make trips to towns with grocery, hardware, dept. stores, etc. Gas powered bike seems better for my needs. So far only have ridden 300 miles on the MB, because of weather conditions here, and a breakdown. This winter stuff around here stinks, but my 87 Chevy Sprint can handle most of it. I just have to use more gas, 46mpg with Sprint vs. 100 plus with Cranbrook but thats life in Iowa. I do miss the quiet of electric power however and in a bigger city would have stayed with it. I'm glad you joined this site and enjoy your ride.

Attachments