How to hide wires and cables?

GoldenMotor.com

Coval_PL

Jul 28, 2009
Gdynia/Poland
I just finishing all electric equipment on my bike. Next step will be new painting, and this is my problem. i've got a lot of wires and cables to hide and I have no idea how to do it? I was thinking about hiding it into frame, but it's impossible to hide everything this way. My second idea was to use yellow tape (i want my bike in black-yellow-silver colors :) ) and wind it around cables, and than buy paint in the same color as tape. Link to galery of my bike is in my signature. Has anybody some other ideas, or tried to do this i one of my solutions?

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
You can use tape, zip ties, or 3/4'' wire cover from the auto store. I use electrical tape and wire cover for a clean look...

Ballin on a Budget

May 26, 2011
Vernon, British Columbia
Hey Steamer,

Im having a similar issue right now too, and I have a lot of wires to deal with (clutch, f. brake, r. brake, rear derailler, throttle, speedo). What ive realized is that there is no way to hide them all in the frame as you said, so I figured im gonna just try to clean it up as much as possible. I Decided to run my throt., clutch, rear brake and derailler underneath my lower main tube, and I figured that if you put the cables side by side (as opposed to clumped together), you can geth them flat enough agaiunst the bottom of the tube that they are not very noticeable, however my lower main tube is very wide so that helps. I also tape all of the cable runs with black Hockey Tape (my bike is semi gloss black) instead of electrical tape, as it is not shiny like electrical tape, and also lends itself to more of and ol' school cloth wire look. Thats how I tackled it.....so far

With your idea of color matching the tape to your bike, if you layed the wires side by side and taped them the same color as the frame, you wouldnt notice them at all. Have you figured out any ways to tidy up the cables around the handlebar area though? Thats where im having the most dificulty as Ya cant bend the cables too sharp to tuck them in so my bar area still looks messy...... Any other ideas would always be appreciated!
-Dan

Ballin on a Budget

May 26, 2011
Vernon, British Columbia
Sorry forgot to add this. Check out cableorganzer.com. Its actually more home theatre cable management, but I found some awesome ideas and products (especially the braided sleeving and colored wire loom) that could definately be used on our bikes!!! Definately worth a peek IMO.
-Dan

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama

Coval_PL

Jul 28, 2009
Gdynia/Poland
Have you figured out any ways to tidy up the cables around the handlebar area though? Thats where im having the most dificulty as Ya cant bend the cables too sharp to tuck them in so my bar area still looks messy...... Any other ideas would always be appreciated!
-Dan
I agree. I've got the same problem :throttle, brake, gears, front lamps, rear (stop) lamp, front+rear directions, front+rear stop switch, horn, aku, power from magneto, power from dynamo, cycle computer sensor and kill swich for engine, cables from integrated swiches on handlebar. It's really a lot of stuff to hide. My handlebar is black as wires. I think some kind of tape is the best solution for me. Color is my only help. I have an idea to drill a little holes in main frame along all cables for little zip ties, so frame will stay clean as much as possible. Besides it allowes to take out all electrics in one part and make easer to put back again in the same position. What do you think?
I'll make a photo later and show You how it looks on my bike. I hope You didn't think i'm sick :D

Last edited:

Ballin on a Budget

May 26, 2011
Vernon, British Columbia
Hey colval, glad you found that site helpful, as I know you can find that stuff at most local electronic stores.

Thats a good idea to drill small holes for your zip ties along the bottom of the frame, I have the luxury on my bike of the rear brake and derailler cable being run there from factory, and because they are held up with factory mounts, I can just zip tie to the existing cable. One thing to be careful of is that you dont drill too many holes or too close together as with the vibration these lil motors cause, they would be a perfect place for stress cracks to start. But as long as you dont over-do it I think that a great idea.

Heres another thought, what if you JB weld (i know, i know) or some other metal adhesive, a few small metal tabs onto the underside of the frame to attach you ties to? That way theres no drilling, and as long as you prep the area well, they should hold no prob. Just a thought unless u have a welder!

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
I'm never a fan of drilling holes in a frame. Any little hole reduces structural integrity, if only by a little bit. As long as you route them cleanly on the outside, it can look nice.

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Hey colval, glad you found that site helpful, as I know you can find that stuff at most local electronic stores.

Thats a good idea to drill small holes for your zip ties along the bottom of the frame, I have the luxury on my bike of the rear brake and derailler cable being run there from factory, and because they are held up with factory mounts, I can just zip tie to the existing cable. One thing to be careful of is that you dont drill too many holes or too close together as with the vibration these lil motors cause, they would be a perfect place for stress cracks to start. But as long as you dont over-do it I think that a great idea.

Heres another thought, what if you JB weld (i know, i know) or some other metal adhesive, a few small metal tabs onto the underside of the frame to attach you ties to? That way theres no drilling, and as long as you prep the area well, they should hold no prob. Just a thought unless u have a welder!
I like this idea! You've got me thinking...

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
I like the idea of metal tabs =). I was able to use a few that were already on my bike for the dérailleur and such. Adding a few more couldn't hurt.

Coval_PL

Jul 28, 2009
Gdynia/Poland
I'm never a fan of drilling holes in a frame. Any little hole reduces structural integrity, if only by a little bit. As long as you route them cleanly on the outside, it can look nice.
Yes, You're right. I'm a little affraid of it and I'll try to do it very carefully (2-3 places in one pipe = 4-6 holes for smallest zip tie I can find). I'm talking about bottom part of frame only, becouse upper pipe is easier. There is gas tank mount, witch holds allmost everything, so only one zip tie for this pipe is enough. I'll try to make photos tomorow. I plan to spend some time in the evening (of my time :) ) with my little monster :D