Success!

GoldenMotor.com

mr.charlie

Jul 27, 2010
tavares florida "lake county"
ok!..ohhhh yeaaa!..in less than a week i have re-conditioned an old cruiser (huffy good vibrations)...new paint, chrome, etc....found a unused 80cc kit on craigslist....took my time...read as much as i could on here..did my own variation of the Large Philipino roller clutch mod....and finally last nite got the nerve to crank'er up!.....fire'd off 1st time...whatta rush for a 50 yo old teenager!....did a few laps in the 'hood..an put it to bed....came home after work today an tweek'd all the cable's and got it to run real nice!....no strokin..no excessive vibration....the only thing is it idle's what i think is rather high when i pull clutch in?.....what should i do next as far as adjustments........thanx to all the contributors here for their info!.....this is fun....charlie........brnot

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Welcome to THE Forum :) I would look for a Screw W/Spring on the left of the carb. That's the idle screw. Turn it forward if your on the bike to lower the idle. (c)

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If that doesn't work, make sure you don't have a leak in the intake (very common). This will cause a destructive lean condition.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your successful first build (there'll be others).
A fast idle can be a symptom of an air leak in the induction system. The most common place is the carburetor where it attaches to the intake manifold. You'll want to make sure you have an air tight seal at that point. The manifold gasket to the cylinder would be the next place to examine. As Saddletramp suggested, the idle speed screw should adjust the speed but if it still idles fast with it screwed out then an air leak should be your next area of inspection. There are other causes but let's start simple and go from there. Get back to us if you need further help.
Tom

ooops, a little slow on the keyboard. Joe is faster :)

mr.charlie

Jul 27, 2010
If that doesn't work, make sure you don't have a leak in the intake (very common). This will cause a destructive lean condition.
hear ya on that...air leakage....took care of that before initial fire up.....when i was in "mock-up" stage i noticed the carb wasn't fully seated to the intake..so i took a depth measurement in the carb throat...transfered it to the intake and dressed the intake tube till i got it to seat all the way...i gained alot of room to the seat tube...and now the carb sits a 1/4 inch from the 45 on the intake..also deburred the internals of the intake as well....and by doin all that.... i was able to mount my roller for the clutch cable off of the chain guard stud...works great....just re adjustin the clutch cable after lube'n the case'n...went to the Dorman/Help aisle at work an got a blister pack of brass cable stops/set screws part #03336....gonna back up the stock one...should not have any issues after that......thanx....charlie

mr.charlie

Jul 27, 2010
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your successful first build (there'll be others).
A fast idle can be a symptom of an air leak in the induction system. The most common place is the carburetor where it attaches to the intake manifold. You'll want to make sure you have an air tight seal at that point. The manifold gasket to the cylinder would be the next place to examine. As Saddletramp suggested, the idle speed screw should adjust the speed but if it still idles fast with it screwed out then an air leak should be your next area of inspection. There are other causes but let's start simple and go from there. Get back to us if you need further help.
Tom

ooops, a little slow on the keyboard. Joe is faster :)

thank -you Tom...see above..got it done.....already lookin for another one!....im gonna do theme bikes...."Gator's"...Seminole's....etc....colored rims's...tire's..whatever it takes..people will buy them.....the guy across the street from me came over an want's one for his 16 yo old to use for work transportation rather then pay high insurance for a car...he flipped when i told him how many mpg's these get!....the madness has started......i gotta find a way to re-size my pictures for the site so i can share my build........thanx again...charlie

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Yea, That old Coot makes things more of a pain than they really are. I heard he is going to roast a turkey on that funny looking car he drives rotfl, He IS one of the best. (c) Take the feathers off first Tom rotfl

mr.charlie

Jul 27, 2010
I tried roasting some hot dogs over my hood but they didn't even get warm. Rats! I thought flames were hot.
Tom
hey tom..did some more readin last nite about adjustments ...as it was givin me some throttle issues..remember this is all new to me..(2 strokes)...so today i had the choke slide closed, and gave it 5 or 6 pumps...rolled out...dropped the clutch...and off i went no problems.....im still runnin a lil high on idle...kinda hard for me to adjust while ridin cause im sittin "High in the Saddle" due to long legs an advanced osteo in both knees so when i come to a turn i have to ride the coaster brake, roll outta the throttle an slip the clutch out an in slowley......other than that all is good ....so far....thanx again for your input...charlie

yodar

Jul 26, 2010
Orlando Fl
thank -you Tom...see above..got it done.....already lookin for another one.....i gotta find a way to re-size my pictures for the site so i can share my build........thanx again...charlie
THERE is a FREE photo manager for Winders called Irfanview and it has a resize tool under the IMAGE menu...This is a handy program that permits color corrections to the image and some image cropping and editing including adding text to your picture...see my post today on my Huffy Spring fork-image edited and resized with Irfanview

Welcome! I am in Winter Garden!

i am not confident YET my new build will MAKE it to Taveres ;>)

YODAR