4g 2010 Delmar Fatboy

GoldenMotor.com

sphilsaw1

Jun 18, 2009
Rochelle IL
id say keep the whitewalls or get soild white brick treads. flames are pretty played out, and get along best with the flat black/red crowd. but thats just my 2c
heck, i like the colored tires. maybe blue or even red. i remember in the old days/ 80s yo could pick up a bmx mag or even go to wally and get 26 inch tires in red, blue, yellow, and even white. now its like those tires are only located at a few places.

sphilsaw1

Jun 18, 2009
Rochelle IL
Here is the info you asked for
View attachment 25740
Centrifugal Clutch 5/8" keyed from Sky Hawk Transmission but is the replacement for the 4G clutch $20. USD
Terry thats the same style clutch that came in my hoot box i never used. i was going to use that clutch on the 4G and save the original 4G clutch for a backup but the hoot clutch would not fit in the 4G clutch bell. can you see if the skyhawk clutch will fit in the 4G clutch bell. if it will that would be a great upgrade for the 4G.

abikerider

Jul 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Just checking in to say that the replacement springs I bought at the hardware store are holding up OK. It's still not perfect. It clangs a little at idle as it tries to engage the clutch but it's still way better than the stock springs. I think I'll try the lightening next and if it's still not right I'll be ordering that new clutch soon.

By the way, my experimental alternator for the Huasheng looks like it'll put out about 4 watts of pulsed alternating current which isn't too bad. After rectifying and regulating the current it should be able to light up a 3 watt LED nicely. Time to start ordering more parts so I can start producing them.

sphilsaw1

Jun 18, 2009
Rochelle IL
Just checking in to say that the replacement springs I bought at the hardware store are holding up OK. It's still not perfect. It clangs a little at idle as it tries to engage the clutch but it's still way better than the stock springs. I think I'll try the lightening next and if it's still not right I'll be ordering that new clutch soon.

By the way, my experimental alternator for the Huasheng looks like it'll put out about 4 watts of pulsed alternating current which isn't too bad. After rectifying and regulating the current it should be able to light up a 3 watt LED nicely. Time to start ordering more parts so I can start producing them.
i have not worked on the fatboy lately . i sold a couple of bikes and I am going to build up a new cranbrook. get this the guy that helped in the bike department at wally put hisself thru grad school by being a bikeshop mechanic. so i got a new cranbrook that was assembled correctly and he trues the wheels!!! and on top of that it was on sale for $75!!! cant beat that with a stick huh!!!!

abikerider

Jul 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Good score and ya lightening up the clutch shoes should do it let me know how it works out
Terry
Hi Terry,
I just did the grinding of the clutch shoes with a dremel today and that helped a little but not as much as the springs did. I also checked the spring length and they have stayed the same so they are holding up well. I can now set the engine to a loping idle without fear of stalling because of the grabbing clutch. It'll still spin the rear tire if I lift it off the ground though.

Sometimes I feel like a beta tester with this clutch but the rest of the tranny has been great so far.

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
Hi Terry,
I just did the grinding of the clutch shoes with a dremel today and that helped a little but not as much as the springs did. I also checked the spring length and they have stayed the same so they are holding up well. I can now set the engine to a loping idle without fear of stalling because of the grabbing clutch. It'll still spin the rear tire if I lift it off the ground though.

Sometimes I feel like a beta tester with this clutch but the rest of the tranny has been great so far.
Well in a sense you are I am glad that you are as competent as you with this so far I have been trying to get instructions for new owners to smooth out the bumps. I have to say that there is one thing that I like about the fact that the clutch wants to engage early is that I have had a few potential customers asking for and engine and trans that will move along at low idle. Unlike the the standard kit 4G kit clutch dose not engage until 2300 rpm I have also heard a little grease on the shoes help too as well you can add washer as well. Keep me informed
Thanks
Terry

abikerider

Jul 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
I have also heard a little grease on the shoes help too as well you can add washer as well. Keep me informed
Thanks
Terry
Hey, that's a good idea putting another washer under the shoe bolt. Why didn't I think of that! It'll shim the spring to give it some more tension to keep the shoes from engaging. Brilliant! The next time I have it apart I'll have to try that.
Mike