changing motor mount angle

GoldenMotor.com

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I got lucky today on craigs list today in the form of a motor bike w/a moumtain bike frame,,,my question ,,can I change the motor angle by using the 2 part epoxy putty and pressing it into the gaps left at the simi circle mounts and caps (with the motor held level) and caps too to hold them in line with the bolts (after covering the motor mount and frame with plastic wrap so the epoxy spacers are removeable),,,,Do you think it would harden enough to withstand the viabration?:confused:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i would think it would make the epoxy crumple. i would figure a different way with shims or something like that

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
There have been a lot of jokes on here about using JB Weld on our bikes; but I think it might actually work. A better way to change the engine angle would be to grind the inside of the mounts to fit. ;)

CoastalCruiser

Apr 28, 2010
Spaced Coast
PC-7 is a thicker version of JB Weld that comes in 2 small cans. You can get it at Home Depot, I think. It can be packed into the voids and will harden to a sandable surface that won't crumble. I've used it for many applications and swear by it. It's kind of goopy and messy but not runny like JB Weld.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'm not too sure about your idea but if you try it I'd suggest a better product than what you'll find at the big box stores or even most hardware stores. I've used Devcon products on industrial applications and can vouch for it. Be willing to spend a few dollars but if success is what you want...
ITW Devcon | Devcon Brand Aluminum Putty (F)
Tom

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
2door,,do you think I could get it at a furnace and AC company?,Its a contractor supply

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I think you are under estamating JB weld? It says that it can be machined,drilled and taped. I know its some great stuff. There used to be a product called Liqued Steel it dried to look like aluminum. That was some awesome stuff

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
The alum. sounds impressive ,,,for JB weld some one thought it might crumble ,viabration,,,The PC-7 sounds good and I was thinking ,if I could get some fibers like they put in concrete and mix them in,then maybe it would hold-,,,I think I'll go to depo or lowes and see about the fibers first then go from there Thanks for the backing ,I would still like to look into the alum putty too,possibly put fibers in it too,,,thanks again I got shoping to do

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
2door,,do you think I could get it at a furnace and AC company?,Its a contractor supply
That's a good bet Corgi,
It is an industrial product that is available through many HVAC suppliers. If they don't have it check their website for distributors in your area.
Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I think you are under estamating JB weld? It says that it can be machined,drilled and taped. I know its some great stuff. There used to be a product called Liqued Steel it dried to look like aluminum. That was some awesome stuff
JB weld might have its place but this isn't one of them. It is a poor man's Devcon. It will not stand up to the rigors of vibration and stress and that has been proven time and again. Yes you can drill and tap it but you can do that with Plastic Wood. That doesn't mean it will stand up to the vibrations and stress from a 2 cycle engine. But like everything else in this hobby...if it works for you, then go for it. I just don't want it around me or my bikes. I prefer something that I know will last. JB Weld isn't one of them. The product you mentioned, 'Liquid Steel' is a Devcon product, still made and still available. And yes, it is a good product. They also make liquid titanium and is good for high heat applications.
Tom

Last edited:

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
The industral alum.one then ,and if it is hard to find I'll ask about the liquid steel(either one sounds like it would make a sturdy filler for the angle change gap)the liquid steel sounds like an old product,been around a long time ,like me lol

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I'm thinking if I mushroom out the sides so it can't slip it will be like part od the structure and wont stress the bolts at an angle