Deacon's chainsaw bike.

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
For those who don't know I kinda hijacked someone else's thread do I'm starting one for the GREAT CHAINSAW BIKE BUILD.

So as I stated earlier I bought a chainsaw at big lots. I have torn it down to basics and mounted on the bike. I had to attach a gas tank because the one on the saw had no lid. That proved to be a mistake but in for a penny ect.

I have finished rerouting all the controlls and now it's time to test it. That is once i get the gas tank to stop leaking. If the engine fires and it works for what I need then I'm going to be looking for a good gas tank for it.

After the test start or not I'll put up some pics

Last edited:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
HEY DEACON WE ARE WATCHING YOU !! LIKE THE PARROT SAID TO THE BURGLER: JESUS IS WATCHING YOU !! THE BURGLER TURNED ON THE LIGHT. BIG DOBBERMAN LOOKING AT HIM ! THE PARROT SAYS: SIC HIM JESUS !! YEAH, I WAS HOPING YOU COULD FIND A GAS CAP FOR THE SAW ! THE ROPE START WOULD BE NICE FOR STARTING AND WARM UP.. THE PRIMER BULB OR BUTTON SAVES A FEW PULLS ON COLD START. LIKE I SAY : I KNOW THE SAW IS DULL AND NEEDS TO BE SHARPENED, BUT I`M BUSY SAWING AND DON`T HAVE TIME RITE NOW !! rotfl MAKES SENSE TO ME !!:confused: IF A PERSON DOE`S WHAT THEY LOVE, THEY WILL NEVER HAVE TO WORK A DAY IN THEIR LIFE. I WILL PROBABLY BE BANNED FROM HERE FOR THE SILLYNESS. :(

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Hey deacon, how big is that there chainsaw motor? Sounds like a cool idea, but I don't think it'd be able to haul my big butt up the hills :)

Not to mention...it'd sound like a chainsaw :)

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I got the engine running today and I rode it most of my mile test track before it shook all the bolts loose.

The good news the engine runs super strong.

The bad news the engine runs super strong. It started to skip over the tire at anything above idle. I don't have the tension right and the gas tank fell off. I have to do a better job with that.

The gas tank on the saw would never have worked anyway. I would never have been able to put gas in it because of the angle it sits in. Now i am looking for a better tank.

I did put the rope start back on to get it started that first time. I wasn't sure why I could drag start it. The thing did start with the pull chord and then it started with the drag start. Next time It might do better.

Now that I know it will work I have to start working on the location of the engine the tension on the wheel and build a good gas tank. I could be wrong but I think this bike will do everything I want it to.

It's 33cc and a poulan. It has been well used in spite of what I thought when I bought it. Next time I know what to do though. The first one is always a learning experience. I'll keep you posted. here are the first pics.

So does anybody have an idea what I can use for a gas tank that is cool and will hold at least a quart of gas. We can make it a contest best suggestion wins a gold star. I have no idea what use it would be to you but you could add it to your signature.

Last edited:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
JASONH I WAS POSTING WITH FAIRRACING31, HE LIVES IN TUCSON. I THOUGHT HE HAD MOVED FROM PHEONIX, I SEE IT WAS YOU, WHAT CITY DID YOU MOVE TO ? :confused: JUST CURIOUS . I THINK HIS SAW IS 33CC. IT MIGHT NOT BE DIFFICULT TO CHANGE MUFFLER. THE CHAINSAW MOTORS ARE USUALLY QUALITY PIECES. I WAS THINKING OF PUTTING FRICTION BIKES TOGETHER TO SELL. I`M HAVING TROUBLE BUYING ENGINES FROM THE INTERNET. VIZAN MOTORS TOOK $202. 6/6/08 AND WON`T EVEN RETURN MY CALL. NEW SAWS ARE HIGH DOLLAR, I WENT TO A FEW PAWN SHOPS , NO USED SAWS AROUND. THEY SAID THE MEX BOYS ARE BUYING THEM ALL, PREPARING FOR A STORM SEASON I RECKON . I HAVE HAD A TREE SERVICE FOR OVER 30 YRS. ONE SAW PUT THE ROD THRU THE CASE, OVER 20 YRS AGO. YRS AGO I USED A LOT OF CHEAP MIX OIL WITH NO PROBLEMS. WITH THE HIGH OIL PRICES I HAVE WENT BACK TO THE CHEAP MIX OIL. CHAIN SAWS ARE VERY DEPENDABLE AND MAINLY TROUBLE FREE. I ALWAYS HAVE SAID; CHAINSAWS ARE LIKE WEMON, GOOD ONES ARE FUN TO MESS WITH AND BAD ONES WILL DRIVE U NUTS !!rotfl

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Deacon Good Job !!! One Of Those Heavy Duty Gallon Orange Juice Bottles. I Havent Bought One For Several Months But ?? Make A Hole In The Cap Run Gas Line Thru Cap To Near The Bottom. But Your Weighted Saw Gas Fuel Filter On The End. I Believe Your Saw Has A Fuel Pump. A Short Breather Hose Sticking Up And Inch Or So Might Be Good Also. :confused:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Not a bad thought I use one of those to store premix. I just thought maybe a one gallon red gas can with a couple of holes in the bottom for those plastic vacume line connectors and no lines in the tank at all. See if I can find an inline fuel filter for 1/8 in line. A little epoxy and a long curing time might work okay what do you think.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I would run the line in through the top of the tank before I cut holes in the bottom of it.

Why couldn't you use the stock tank? They are made to be run at all angles...just lay the bike down to fuel up.

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
Also, you may find you want the shrouding back on that thing before it burns up.
On my old zenoah I ran it unshrouded with no problems - on the tanaka i have left the shroud on because it seems the airflow is routed using the shroud design to the head and not, like the zenoah, cooled by airflow alone... I am 50/50 on this question - it really depends on whether you think the airflow provided by the engine plus that provided by motion is enough to keep the motor cooled sufficiently..

Jemma xx

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Frankly the shoud covered the cooling fins. since the bike is in motion I figured it would be better to have them exposed to the air. Alas who know what is truly best. A lot of the bikes built from alternative engines have been stripped down. It seemed like the way to go to me. I'll let you know.

I don't have a gas cap and couldn't find one locally and I wanted to run it so I just rerouted the lines to a tank I had. I really do want something different just for the fact that it will be different lol.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
yes it has a fan good point.

Tell me didn't someone once say that the rear sprocket of the china kit could be used with a bicycle kit. The reason I asked is before I took the clutch off this one, I checked and it appeared that it could run a bicycle chain through the chainsaw without any modifications at all. Of course with my fat butt on board it probably would burn up.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Hey that was a good idea on putting the lines through the top. Less likely to weep gas that way. Wonder why I didn't think of that,, 0h yeah I have brain damage lol. My excuse for everything these days.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Since i got the bike over most of the test track yesterday, todays project is to rebuild the frame for the engine. I learned a few things from the last week messin with the engine.

I had used a bolted on 90 degree angle Iron from behind the seat as a pivot. I am going with a strap hinge on the same set up, but pivot the other side which I plan to tie into the engine in more than one place this time. That engine is a lot heavier than the weed whacker. that should steady it up and allow the pressure to be on just one side. Of course I won't know for sure till I do it.

Also have to make a gas tank. I found a guy on ebay who has the gas caps and i can rerun the lines back to the chainsaw tank but I don't really want to do that. I would like to have a gas tank where I could see how much gas is left in it. I run out of gas a lot on the china girl bike. Anyway now that I know what is happening it might take a week to redo it.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
So i reattached the saw motor today. I also started to look for a gas tank of some kind. I bought a one gallon red plastic gas can. I am looking at a cloths washing bottle in the laundry room. I have a bit of lust in my eyes for it. It has a cool shape. I also patched the holes in an old weed eater tank. I'm going to take joe's advice and drill the top of it. That will also give me some feel for how the big tank will do.

How big a hole do you think for a 1/8" inside diameter plastic line.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I am having the nightmare again. The one where the bike is almost finished but won't quite run. I can start the bike with the pull chord but it won't drag start. I removed the clutch to put the friction drive directly onto the drive shaft so It had to either drag start of I have to lift the engine again. This engine is a mutha compared to the weed whacker.

I'm taking the weekend off and not going to touch it till monday.

By the way, making a gas tank was easier than I thought. I used a gatoraid bottle. Drilled a vent hole in the top, made an inner liner with a non aligned hole, then cut a couple of gas line holes in the top beside of the spout. That is the only things that has worked right so far.

I think the 20" wheel won't turn the engine fast enough when I pedal. I did drag start it once but it didn't have enough tension on it to climb hills.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I promised myself and my wife that I would not work on the chainsaw bike today. I lied.

I bought forty bucks worth of angle braces and steel bars of different configurations. When I got home I went at the chain saw again. I made a folding support for the engine side. I can lift the engine and lock it in the up position to start and warm it up.

Even better I reused the old weed wacker clutch idea. A metal rod to lift the engine at stop signs to keep it running. I have a pretty weak spring on it now but I can buy a spring cheap enough. I'm going to wait at least until tomorrow to ride it. I'm already worn out and need to rest. I might ride the lighter week whacker to see how it is doing.

I could not get the cowling back on the weed whacker so it's going to have to work without one. The ones on utube all ran without cowlings. Maybe I can ride it so that it won't burn up. I think last time I just over stressed it. I think i need to get off the throttle when the bike starts to slow down from the hills. It is in a double whammy situation. The bike has slowed so it is not getting a lot of air movement over the fins and I was trying to get full throttle from it as well.

I really want the weed whacker to work better than it does. I will just have to see what I can do with it. I wonder how much better the 31cc would be. The 33cc chainsaw is so powerful it just skipped the friction wheel when I tried it last time.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
okay one of you chainsaw guys help me out here. I started the chainsaw bike today and it started just like it was supposed to. I switched off the choke and it ran just fine. The idle was way to high and I figured out why, I had the throttle cable too tight. But when i tried to start it again, I must have flooded it cause it wouldn't start. It didn't even try and the choke didn't help at all. It ran with the choke and without before I shut it down. It this is what I have to look forward to when I go into the store, it just won't do at all.

What is the trick to starting it after it has run a bit???? Do I give it gas, do I not give it gas. I am starting it with a rope which seems to work better.

Last edited: