V to cantilever brake swap

GoldenMotor.com

beerbattered

Jan 1, 2010
Coral Springs FL
Has anyone done a V to cantilever brake swap? Are there any tips on the proper way to mount/weld on the brake shroud bracket on the back? Is there a make/model of cantilevers that are a better overall value than others? How well would they perform with my Shimano Deore brake/shifter combo? What are the ideal brake shoes for cantilevers?

rockvoice

Apr 6, 2009
glendale california
Has anyone done a V to cantilever brake swap? Are there any tips on the proper way to mount/weld on the brake shroud bracket on the back? Is there a make/model of cantilevers that are a better overall value than others? How well would they perform with my Shimano Deore brake/shifter combo? What are the ideal brake shoes for cantilevers?
not shure why you are switching but V's will stop better than cantilever

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I can't figure any reason why you would want to switch from V Brake to cantilever. Now if it was the other way around I could definitily see your reasoning. V brakes are by far the better brake! I have V brakes, and disc's on several of my bikes. For the MONEY I will take the V brake.

John

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
There is one important thing to know about this swap. When you swap from V to Cant. you must also swap your levers. This is because the difference in leverage. You will notice that both style brakes pivot on a post. The v brake has a much longer arm than the cant. This affects the distance needed for the cable to travel to get the same amount of brake action. The levers for each brake type are designed differently. There are some levers out there that work for both. They have an adjuster that has a setting for v or for cant. Make sure you are running the right lever with the right brake.

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
I forgot to mention. I agree with the other guys that v brakes are much better (especially for a motorized application). The only benefit I can think of for the cantalevers is if you are going for a more retro look?

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
Here's a good article to read with some useful links.

I have canti's on my Surly Cross-Check and *if* they are adjusted correctly- they work just as well as V brakes and they have better modulation if you know how to set them up.

-George