Old Man With New Interest

GoldenMotor.com

SmokiesJohn

Jan 31, 2010
Maryville, TN
Greetings for the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains.

Let me introduce myself: I have been a bike/motorcycle/motor scooter rider most of my life - I will be 84 this April. Most recently I have owned and ridden a Burgman 400 - a 650 prior to that. Because of health reasons - I just felt uncomfortable riding the scooter because of a slight stroke over a year ago and sold the 400. And do I ever miss it!

Now I am looking at the possibility of getting a motorized bicycle. I owned a Whizzer in the late 40's and loved it. Getting a kit and putting it together would not be a problem because I have a fairly complete set of tools.

Since I am new to this forum, I look forward to your ideas, information, knowledge and suggestions.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Have you thought of a motorized three wheeled bicycle? There are several on this forum. Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of very knowledgeable builders here and I am sure some of them will chip in with some good ideas.

SmokiesJohn

Jan 31, 2010
Maryville, TN
Thanks, Elmo - My health is good - balance is good - but I will look into the 3 wheel idea.
I am wondering what is the most popular 60 cc engine & bike,. I realize that the answer is probably subjective - but I would like to know the experience of some owners who have had their engines for some time.

Thanks for you advice.

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
High Smokie,Welcome to the forum-lots of fun here- my motor loves the winter-just got back from a 5 mile ride-middle of a snow storm-missed a light pole by 1/2"

Ive got the rack mount chain drive from Island Hopper-American Chain Drive .
Ive got the 35cc and 48cc 2 strrokes and I use the 35 for the winter. It just eats winter right up.

That 35cc has proven itself to be one tough little motor. These kits are a lot more expensive than those cheap china girl engines but they sure are worth it.

Last edited:

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I am relatively new to this motor bike thing. I built a friction drive from a homelite weedeater motor. If your finances allow I think the Honda or HS engine are more reliable than the Chinese 2 strokes. That is my opinion and as we know opinions are like noses, everyone has one. Do a lot of reading on this board and form one of your own. Personally the only three wheelers I like are the tadpole configuration and they are mostly recumbents and low visibility. That said I am building one from scratch using Greenspeed plans and will put an engine on it when it is finished.
I meant no disrespect when I recommended a three wheel. My Grandfather was riding a bicycle when he was in his 80's.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I think everyone's first in frame should be a Chinese 2 stroke kit. It's part of the ritual!

Get the bugger hooked up and running well and go from there. Tons of experience here, should be a breeze for you.

WELCOME!!.flg.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I agree with Pablo. A two stroke China Girl on an older cruiser... maybe one like you had as a kid. I'm just a young guy at 65, but have some paralysis problems in my lower legs so use step through (girl's) bikes for my rides. I like the old Schwinns and Elgins myself. This is a lot of fun. Pull start and automatic China girls are available, too. Ask anything and take your time as spring is still a good ways off.
SB