Motorcycle gas tank. Mounting?

GoldenMotor.com

ohrapture

Aug 18, 2009
VA
Just as an update,
I have tried many forms of manual mounting (clamps and such) all to no avail
I tried JB weld which just snapped right off (actually very surprised. bare metal and everything)
I even tried a form of synthetic clay
So far nothing has been able to hold up to the vibration

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
I've read else where that Double Stick Foam Tape is a good material to use for this type of installation. You might want to reduce the size of the tunnel using wood or plastic blocks attached with the same Double Stick These blocks could also be used to adjust the level/angle of the tank on your frame Here is a link to the type of tape I'm talking about. McMaster-Carr Click over to the second page and you will find the 3M Brand Very High Bond Tapes this is what you want.

ocscully

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
hmm... haven't had to deal w/this yet - but other than burning/scarring the new liner you have (easy to patch w/new) I would seriously recommend having a few mount tabs at least brazed (preferably welded) on the underside of the tank.

It'd be cheap enough as it'd only take a minute if you had the tabs all made up and the tank prepped (sanded clean where the tabs go). I would never trust double sided tape for that job, particularly as gasoline is such a fine solvent for that type adhesive. Sooner or later you'd spill fuel and run the risk of loosing yer tank at speed o_O

The double sided foam tape is much better used in conjunction with proper mounts - to reduce movement/noise, that might be what you read about. I wouldn't just tape ANYTHING to my bike and expect it to stay lol and the fuel tank is somewhat important ;)

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I'd use the same stuff I used for my bottom motor mount...black RTV gasket sealer. It is rubber-like and solid. That stuff ain't goin nowhere.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Get some foam pipe insulation to go around the top tube of your frame. I'd make a frame clamp that uses the pins already in the tunnel. Take a couple of pieces of flat bar, find some grommets that just fit over the pegs on the tank, drill the flat bar to fit the grommets, bend the flat bar into kind of a goblet with a ball stem shape so the ball section clamps around your frame and the goblet section has the grommets for your tank pegs.

Nothing to scale but here's a quick model I made

Attachments