Just a little battle of the 4-strokes, or OHC vs. OHV vs. flatty

GoldenMotor.com

Which of the three 4-strokes would you go for if looking for a 4-stroke conversion?

• Honda GX35 OHC

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Honda GHX50 OHV

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Briggs 5hp Model 13 flatty

Votes: 11 64.7%

• Total voters

jmason92

Apr 8, 2016
Lawton, OK
So, just for fun, I'm posting a little battle of the 4-strokes poll, the three valve arrangements duking it out are OHC, OHV, and flatty/sidevalve.

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Hello All,

I feel that I must weigh in, given I have used all three engine designs on my motorized bicycle.

First, I used a 5hp Briggs. I loved the vintage feel and the ability to build more hp, but I found that for stop and go traffic, which I find myself in, the Briggs would tend to smoke and also overheat.

Second, I used a Honda GC190. This engine is an OHC design. I loved this engine with its upright mounting orientation, but this motor did not love me. I busted about 4 to 5 of these engines, snapped valves, slipped timing belt, stripped timing belt pulley on crankshaft, and finally a thrown connecting rod. It was good while it lasted.

Third, I have recently installed a predator 212cc harbor freight engine, OHV design. This engine is THE ONE as far as I am concerned. I have not logged a whole bunch of miles yet, but what I have experience so far is more usable (low end) power, more robust and less prone to failure, and overall more reliable power plant.

I love them flatheads, but my heart says I have to vote for OHV with the Predator 212cc engine.

For what its worth,

Gilbert

Attachments