Home built full suspension custom frame pics!

GoldenMotor.com

StevenMain

Jul 18, 2016
Texas
Haha you're like the 100th person to suggest them to me. Honestly no idea how to hook up disk brakes but I'll look into it. Guessing I need wheels with disk brake hubs I can bolt rotors to.

StevenMain

Jul 18, 2016
Texas
3,500 ouch. My last bike was a flawless low mile 09 Kawasaki ZX6R and that cost me 3k with low miles. (Purchased from a friend and got a bonded title)

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
3,500 ouch. My last bike was a flawless low mile 09 Kawasaki ZX6R and that cost me 3k with low miles. (Purchased from a friend and got a bonded title)
That $3500 was just for the bicycle, total build was ~$5K.

Sure, a factory motorcycle will always be better if you can legally operate it, most here can't, and besides, you can't pedal a motorcycle home if runs out of gas or otherwise won't run ;-}

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon

StevenMain

Jul 18, 2016
Texas
I have been eyeballing some alloy wheels and chinese disc brake set. Money is tight now adays, I get paid by flight hour. When the weather is poor I have to cancel flights, don't get paid, when students cancel, don't get paid, and when I do fly back to back flights all day I typically only get 4.5 hours out of an 8 hour day of pay. Awful pay in my job but it's only until I have enough hours for an airline. Then I'll be building some really sick bikes lol.

StevenMain

Jul 18, 2016
Texas
Also as the old racing adage goes you can be fast and cheap or you can be fast and safe but you can't be cheap safe and fast lol.

StevenMain

Jul 18, 2016
Texas
I plan to be an old pilot, but if I let the students have much to do with that I won't be lol. I swear someone tries to kill me on a daily basis.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Yeah I scared my CFI a few times. When I was 22 bought an old Piper J5A and hired him to teach me to fly it(CFI cost $6/hr back then!). He was old but good. The J5 was tandem with the pilot in the front(unlike the J3 I got later). I was flying S turns over a RR track. It when on and on. I finally checked and he was asleep! I retuned to the airport flew the pattern lined up on final and was just over the numbers when I yelled Charlie real loud. He woke up, saw hat was happening about had a heart attack, and quickly too over and landed. I hadn't mastered landings at that point. He never dozed again!

StevenMain

Jul 18, 2016
Texas
I am defeated.. I have to run a jackshaft.. Not just because I need to make the motor sprocket thinner (Im running the BMX chain thickness one.. but because alignment is not right without any shaft. Ill come up with something I guess.

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
That $3500 was just for the bicycle, total build was ~$5K.

Sure, a factory motorcycle will always be better if you can legally operate it, most here can't, and besides, you can't pedal a motorcycle home if runs out of gas or otherwise won't run ;-}
IMG_3867.JPG

I scored this Kona Dawg Deluxe for $250 at a yard sale, and it's in practically perfect condition. I don't see the point in MTBs over $1200 but I'm not a pro, I just go on intermediate trails as often as possible.

StevenMain

Jul 18, 2016
Texas
Ok got her running... backwards ! :) and changing gears now without any Jackshaft.. just need to replace my throttle (it broke a new alumunum one is on the way) and add a fuel tank.. tidy up lose ends then it's apart for paint !

StevenMain

Jul 18, 2016
Texas
The good news... HOLY **** IT'S FAST... really fast, I haven't put the speedo on it yet or used GPS but like 30mph is 1/4 throttle in fourth fast at like 4,500 of 10,000 Available RPMS lol

The bad news... I have not been able to succesfully take it over half throttle.. every time I do the Motor to crank chain screws up. The first time a side plate broke, and this time it has stretched so badly my tensioner I made ran out of ajustment after maybe 1 hour of easy riding, then 10 seconds of half throttle acceleration. Keeps tossing the chain now its so stretched.

I used a 1/8 SRAM PC1 chain.. last time I ever try it.. Need to find something with higher tensile strength.

StevenMain

Jul 18, 2016
Texas

Needs a throttle still (temporarily using a brake lever until billet throttle arrives)

Muffler (been on the way since Dec 23 )

And I can ride it around for quite a while taking it easy, less than half thottle, and 30 mph.. But as soon as I try to open it up.. Chain tosses of the crank sprocket. I think its because the garbage ass square taper crank has a wiggle to it. Going to switch to a splined spindle and splined cranks, also I am running a 1/8 chain on a 3/32" crank sprocket, so I need to source or make a 48T 1/8 sprocket.

StevenMain

Jul 18, 2016
Texas
Lol it looks as if its perfection ... too much power applied it soon lets you know it is NOT lol.. I need to do something to keep it from jumping the crank sprocket... But hey I mounted a motor upside down and backward, and made it run backward on a custom scratch built frame. That's something of an accomplishment lol. I'll get it there.

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
Nice job. Alignment, chain size, chain quality, and good mounting are the keys to chains staying on in my experience. I had a kart with a 12hp engine that was mounted with official clamps to the frame. However the power of the engine made the clamps be meaningless and the engine would slide backwards, making the chain fly off. Took me forever to finally decide to bolt the engine to the frame.