MB Glossary

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
This has been tried before but it always seems to fall apart because we can't seem to keep it serious or focused. I bring up the idea again because of my recent experience of joining a forum dedicated to radio control model airplanes. I was involved with that hobby for many years but have been away from it for a while and when I started reading on that forum I ran into so many words, acronyms, abbreviations and terms that were a mystery to me. Being familiar with forum usage I tried using their 'Search' and found many references to the term I was looking for but seldom was there a clear definition.

I can easily see where a new member could be overwhelmed by reading our words and seeing references to terms and abbreviations that we use freely but rarely define in clear language.

I envision one thread which would be an alphabetized glossary of the most commonly used words, terms, abbreviations or slang. It would be better if it was a single post that contained only the glossary and no discussion, comments, jokes or arcane references. Just good solid information that a new member could access to gain some understanding of our unique language.

Feel free to offer up your input on this here in this thread and I'll compose a single thread that we will post in either the 'Introduce Yourself' section or here in 'General Discussion'

Any thoughts?

Tom

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
getting a noob to look at it may be a problem, but seems a good idea

a downloadable set of (pic, description, name) might be nice

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Getting new members to read almost anything has and will always be a problem. This glossary will, hopefully, get used and linked to when a newbie asks a question by older members. We could name it 'Glossary of Motorized Bicycle Terms'. The thread will be titled in bold font and obvious so maybe it will attract the attention of those who need it.

What I'm asking for is for the members to submit what they feel needs explanation to a new member not familiar with our language. I don't think we need to include every word. I mean, 'handlebar' is pretty obvious. So would pedal, or seat. But try to put yourself into a new builder's shoes and reading terms like, Cylinder Head, or Magneto. Some of them have never worked on an internal combustion engine.

You electric guys help us out here too. Even I see words and terms in the electric threads that I'm not familiar with. We need to address all aspects of our hobby so join in and tell us what you're talking about. Battery terminology is a good example.

Let's start with A and move through the alphabet to Z. I'll do the compiling/alphabetizing and post and occasionally update the thread.

A......

B.....

C.....

and on down.

Tom

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
There's no doubt that the idea is a good one. But execution might be tricky. And I can't think of any suggestions at the moment. But I'll try to think about it a bit.

But the subject gives rise to another, related, thought. When discussing things with guys like crassius, 2door and so on I can feel free to use terms like "Happy Time", "CDI", "half link", and so on. When talking to newbies, some of whom declare up front that they know nothing about these bikes, I'll need to remember to be more descriptive.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks Will, but which forum (sub-forum) would you as a new member prefer to see a glossary in? They are all somewhat specialized so that's why I was thinking it should go in the 'General Discussion' section.

Tom

will michaud

Feb 29, 2012
colfax ca /northern calif
not having much knowledge on this forum , and being that you are more informed than I ,you will know the best location for its ,but it sounds good to me , thank you for bringing up the subject ,. I will look forward to using it often.
Will

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
a media section might help, you could actually see the part in question. (it's name, shortened terminology, etc.)
and you could include links to you tube videos, more pictures, and further information about the mystery part.
just follow the links to zoom in on your target "problem" part.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Good ideas, Leo but this project is bigger than I had first anticipated. I've been working on it most of the day and I'm only into the 'D's.
Adding links, photos, tutorials, etc. might be more than I want to get into.

My goal was to just give simple explanations and/or definitions to many of the specific terms we use in discussion. Anything more than that could probably be found using the 'Search' feature.

I'd like to keep the glossary limited to specifics and not go into the wider spectrums of our hobby.

But I certainly appreciate the suggestions.

Tom