Mill/Lathe

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
From UPS;

"Hi Dan, your scheduled delivery date has changed.
Rescheduled Delivery Date: Monday, 12/01/2014
Estimated Delivery Time: End Of Day"

Yay big brown truck Santa!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
been pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to remove 1/32 off an intrinsic key (keyway, key) inside a 3/4 sheave. That's .0135 of an inch.

Wanted to broach it but would have to have a bushing made made. Couldn't find one at least.

Then it dawned on me while talking to Greg on the phone and led me to this thought. I got a mill/lathe, LOL! So just made one.

I gotta make another but this will work. I hope.

This is "Stubby the wonder bushing"

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
3 easy payments of $19.95. But wait, theres more! Order now...... lol

About 3 bucks. I really need to come up with better tool holding. Basicly sacrificed inches of stock as a holding point. Annoying

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Dan, Dave what I was asking is how much $ he has spent on lathe, tools and school etc. It's like I've said about owning a travel trailer, it's not about getting your money's worth it's the fun and enjoyment that is priceless. The feeling of accomplishment is worth a lot.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
The question is really how much would it have cost you to have someone else make it? I know machinist that charge at least $1 a minute...
Guessing here Dave. $150 to 200. It takes longer to set up then actually milling & turning the pc.

Just a side note, 3-in-ones suck for switching between operations! I need a mill. Might try to rig some thing and separate the mill portion. HMMMMM Old drill press.........

Dan, Dave what I was asking is how much $ he has spent on lathe, tools and school etc. It's like I've said about owning a travel trailer, it's not about getting your money's worth it's the fun and enjoyment that is priceless. The feeling of accomplishment is worth a lot.
Greg, I got a grant to go to school. That was $6,000 and altogether over $20,000. But was a bit at a time so not bad and really love this stuff.

Inch by inch. Row by row sorta deal.

But that is a $20,000 bushing, lol.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Was just reading up on press fit bearings. I did not know how much a difference heating the housing and cooling the bearing before insertion. Kinda cool lil tid-bit.

One author suggested that many motorcycle bearings fail due to a mechanic carefully forcing a bearing in. Thus removing material and causing "creeping"

Any one do or have done press fit bearings?

Flyman

Nov 28, 2014
Vian Oklahoma
I have been a tool & die maker for many years.I remember a ole machinist
asking me as a young man, what are the three most important tools in a
metal working shop.I thought & replied a Mill, a lathe & a surface grinder.

He smiled & said you are wrong on all three. I then ask, what then.He replied,
a saw, for you must beable to cut your material first.Then a drill press, &
then a good sander. He went on & said a drill press you can always drill a
straight hole & tap a straight hole as well, use as a mill on somethings.A sander you can shape metal
in any way you want.

After all my years, in metal working I found him to be right.

Just something to think about.
Fly PS (a File also)!

Last edited:

Chainreaction

Dec 14, 2014
Tulsa OK
milldrill.jpg

Hey Dan I have one too. Last fall I got a weird gig, making an e-cig prototype. I had a little knowledge and minor experience machining. I bought mine used with bunch of tooling only slightly used as ladys husband had bought it and then kicked the bucket.

I know it's not the greatest blah blah blah, you'v heard it too. But it it the coolest tool I've ever bought so far..... Wife is keeping an eye on me now.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That is cool Fly.

=====

My montra, Chain or as Larry says; "NOT REVERSE UNTIL THE MOTOR STOPS" LOL

Had to replace the lower motor? And how do you use those tool posts? First upgrade was a QTCP.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Chain, HF stopped selling these things due to terrible reviews. I think, but they were bad.

Same machine at 2X the price at Northern tool, great reviews.

love this thing. I want a seperate mill 'cause that is a PITB, but aside from that, $800 bucks and this thing rocks. 40 TPI is 40 TPI

Chainreaction

Dec 14, 2014
Tulsa OK
In't that funny? Harbor Freight can't catch a break sometimes, they do sell some great stuff for the money. Yeah these machines need some work but the core of the machine is fine i think. I smile every time I see it in my little shop.

Chainreaction

Dec 14, 2014
Tulsa OK
You can see a little setup on the left of mine. It is a geared down motor that you can hook up to machine. Turns lathe chuck about 50 rpm for power assist of cutting threads, saves a lot of elbow grease.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Thats what I mean by the threads per inch thing. For what it lacks in smooth, 40 TPI is 40 TPI. Only real problem with em is they are so laborious. But work fine.

Hehe, just kicked over a bucket of chips. Right into a tool box. Been one of them days.

Does your's say "not reverse...."?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
How do you cut threads with it?

======================

trying to mill a keyway with out a edge finder. not going well