Got Anti-Sloshing Device?

GoldenMotor.com

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I have a 4-liter Happy Time peanut tank mounted on a rack behind me. It has served me well for years, having been mounted on the top tube and the rear rack. It has a locking gas cap with hinged lid which vents the fuel system. The only problem is that the fuel sloshes and finds its way out the keyhole. Sometimes at the end of the ride, the lid is up, but that's not a big issue. I ride strictly on paved roads.

Does anyone have a simple inexpensive solution to prevent gas sloshing up towards the cap?

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Thanks for your tip, but I don't want to spend $$.I'm looking for something cheap and handy.

Has anyone used anything like a stainless steel kitchen sink drainer or a strainer/sieve? You can filter the gas your pour into the tank as well.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Stuffing the tank with foam is a good cheap way. Just find the right kind of foam. Try circle track race shops, they might have some laying around for free...
(Depends on your local racing scene. Several forms of racing use this foam)

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
stick it in a jar full of gas and check before you stuff the tank.
the wrong kind will ruin the plumbing when it melts

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I was first thinking that the anti slosh was to prevent when tank is low on gas you don't get a bubble in the fuel line and stall out. Baffles in the tanks that some have fabricated in the DIY area show these as part of the tank construction.

As for gas leaking out the cap, I remember the kind of metal gas cap with a fiber cone shape breather that was supposed to stop the gas from coming out the 70's era 3hp Briggs engine I have. I bought a newer model plastic Briggs mower gas tank. Sure it really does not have the aesthetic appeal that you want, but the cap I have no leaking with gas at close to 1/2 inch from the top.

This cap that breathes also does no have a hole in the center of the top of the cap. It some how has something around the edges of the cap, but the threads must be separate from it I think.

Do look at the kind of set up on Dirt Bikes that have the little tube comes out the ceter of the cap and go forward down into the steering column hole. It has to go like a foot higher than the tank in an arc and the gas won't slosh up that high. Again, yea the looks may not be desired.

Just what I've seen.

MT

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=29678&page=13

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I've never tried it but was thinking soapless steelwool might help. Hand shape it into a cylindrical shape and wrap in wire so that it slides in and out easily. Long enough to support itself in a completely upright position inside the filler tube.

Thinking about it now, would be messy and kinda a PIB. But still a thought