oh the possibilites...

GoldenMotor.com

peteyb

Feb 5, 2011
London, Ont.
hello, i would first off like to properly introduce myself, as i am new to this forum and the motorized bicycle lifestyle itself. my name is peter, i live in london, ontario, in canada. winters are pretty brutal here, but we do get a fair selection of weather from about 9 months of the year. i put my car and truck aside for the year to focus on saving some money, and i've been looking into alternative modes of transportation (aside from public transit :p). ive come across the idea of installing a motor or buying a pre-installed motorized bicycle (preferably 80cc or larger). i like the idea of having some freedom and range of movement around town, and the benefit of not having to pay for a special limited speed license, registration and insurance in the province of ontario.

anyway, the reason of this thread was to bring attention to a couple of possibilities at hand in the near future. i am still awaiting responses from both sellers, but i would also like some of your opinions for that matter as well.

here is my first option:

Vintage Supercycle Roadster Bike - London Sports Goods For Sale - Kijiji London Canada.

this is a vintage supercycle roadster bike. im not sure weather it has hand brake levers or not, but i think it would be a great project for me to instal a fresh (or slightly used) 80cc (or anything larger) motor. i've never installed a motor onto a bike, so i am a little weary about this one, but i am fairly mechanically inclined, and i do a fair bit of work on my cars and bicycles.

here is option #2:

Custom Schwinn Stingray Moped 450 OBO /trade for playstation 3 Motorcycles in St Catharines, Ontario Classifieds - CanadianListed.com

this one here is a pre-installed schwinn chopper bicycle supposedly with an 80cc motor. im not sure how to differentiate a 50cc from an 80cc so i may have to trust the seller. nonetheless, if the bike can easily reach about 60km/h (37mph) then im satisfied. i like the chopper style a bit more, as it stands out more as a motorcycle rather than a bicycle, but thats not really that important to me. the other noticable difference would be the price of the bike, and the location of the seller. st. catherines is approximately 200km (124 miles) away, so i would probably have to pay a little extra for shipping costs. i could ride it home, i guess, but it would be a lengthy 4 hour ride to say the least hahaha.

EDIT

and here is #3

http://london.canadianlisted.com/motorcycles/moped-power-assisted-bicycle_640479.html

this is your average bike from canadian tire (large "general store" franchise). its looks as if its been done right. i like the look of those handle bars and the oversized spring seat. gives me an idea to turn this thing into a board track racer replica by turning the bars upside down and installing a lay back seat post to complete the look and feel of it. seems like this one is a good candidate, but im still awaiting for a reply as to what kind of motor this thing has to offer.

i would really appreciate it if i could get any input on my current situation.

PS - how do i tell the difference between a 50cc and an 80cc anyway?

thanks! .shft.

Last edited:

muddybike

Jul 31, 2010
Calgary
Well 1st off the 80cc ones are not 80cc's they are all 66cc's , i guess the china factories always have listed them as 80cc. As far as i know , there isnt any stamped markings on any i have seen , so to find out for sure, i would think you would have to pull off the head , and measure the stroke and piston size. Regulations here in Canaland says we can only have the 49 cc ones , but it is kinda hard to tell.

Oh and ps when ordering parts make sure they send them usps not ups , ups will charge you a 40-60 broker fee at the door !

Last edited:

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
I remember going to London for a motorcycle- only drag day a long time ago.
Hi from Buffalo!
First, make sure what you do is legal. I remember some guys from Ontario were having police difficultys. Something about electric being legal and gas not.
Check it out.
I reccomend a bike with a sus. front end, fat tires, gears, at least V style brakes, a non- orangatang seat (that would be like a spring cruiser seat) and a suspension seat post. These last 2 items usually are aftermarket. With that bike as a platform, you have good brakes and can go up hills and pretty much anywhere in a bit of comfort.

The old Raligh you showed has pitiful brakes, skinny tires and will ride hard.

In NY anything with a motor must be registered. I bought an old moped for the registration and now my bike is a customized moped with a plate on the back. Stamped the numbers into the frame head and added required lights. Never a hassle.
Ride responsibly, wear a helmet. Look safe.

peteyb

Feb 5, 2011
London, Ont.
thanks fella's for those useful tips.

i think i will be taking another route instead. i have a supercycle solaris ladies bike that i will attemp to convert into a modern style board track racer. im going to hack the frame and have it welded in again in order to make more room for an 80/66cc motor. its seems like a fun and do-able project. as i enjoy tinkering with my bikes from time to time. i also own a gt talera on the side, but i think i'll leave that one just the way it is... for now at least :p

muddybike

Jul 31, 2010
Calgary
Tomorrow i will measure my frame it has to be pretty close to the smallest size possible, i had to grind down a low profile air filter to get it to fit!

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal
first.... do not go with number 2. I built one for my nephew and they make the worst motorized bikes. it would be fun for a 12 year old boy on the weekends, but that's it.

IMO I would try to find a bike like # 3, but without the motor. find a nice fresh, comfortable used bike for at least $100. I say buy used because if you look hard enough you can find a really good quality bike for cheap. don't get tempted and buy a wal mart bike because it's easy and it's there. the components are garbage and will fail eventually.

install the kit ypurself. you can do the job with a few simple hand tools over a weekend. that way you can familiarize yourself with the kit for when it needs adjustment or breaks altogether.... something will happen, it is inevitable and you should know how to fix it.

two pieces of advice if you are interested...

buy a good quality bike with a multispeed deraileur, and a grubee 80cc kit to go with it. don't buy any other chinese 2 stroke kit but the grubee.

go to sick bikes.com and familiarize yourself with their products. get an hd shifter kit to go with the deraileur.... also get a fuel petcock, spark plug, plug wire, fuel filter, and air filter. the stuff that comes with the kit are garbage and will only cause problems.

I don't mean to sound picky... but, if you are going to build a hobby bike to putt putt around your neighborhood that's one thing. building a commuter to travel long term and in traffic is a totally different thing. you need to be very picky about quality. there is a lot of junk out there in terms of both bikes and engines.

Last edited:

peteyb

Feb 5, 2011
London, Ont.
wow, this website is a true gold mine worth of information. thanks for the responses so far...

i would like to know what the real difference is between an angle fire slant head motor and a regular one?

also,

considering the fact that i may be pressed for space after tweaking my ladies bike's frame in order to fit a motor in between, i think i may have to resort to purchasing an aftermarket low profile air filter. i really had my eyes on the HD high performance one instead, but is there really a significant difference between the two?

one more thing..

would anyone know of any reputable motorized bicycle part dealers located in canada? ...preferably in or near ontario so that i won't have to deal with customs all the time?

thanks!

peteyb

Feb 5, 2011
London, Ont.
if you have the money and want to splurge... buy a gebe kit from golden eagle.com. you won't be disappointed
this gebe kit looks very interesting indeed!

although, i find there to be one little problem (which i can easily overcome, but i am far to stubborn to lol), is that i would like to make a modest board track racer conversion out of my bike. that includes installing a lay back seat post... and sitting far back with a gebe kit just doesnt seem like a good option, unless i can tolerate the fire burning behind my butt lol.

thanks for the suggestion though, vtec!

its really a sweet design, is that what you're rockin'?

brnot

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
Each to his own but if you choose the Chinese frame mount, IMO you're missing opportunity. I have a full suspension bike with a rack mounted Chung Yang R460 engine. It is a quality motor made in Taiwan, 46cc, 4.2 HP @11,000 RPM. It uses a Walbro fully adjustable pulse carburetor with a totally sealed fuel system, very reliable. The engine turns a pocket bike CVT transmission and is routed to a freewheel sprocket.

The point being, there is a world of possibilities with the China Girl style bike engine at the bottom, IMO.

peteyb

Feb 5, 2011
London, Ont.
its a great design! i may actually consider using it, but only if i can manage to fit it behind my layback seat.

anywho, here are some pictures of the progress i've taken with my bike so far. i'm currently encountering some problems with the lay back seat design, but hopefully i can get all that sorted out asap. the bike itself clearly sports a ladies frame, but i am going to try to hack and weld it as close as possible into a mens frame tonight. hopefully it will give me the extra clearance needed to squeeze a 2-stroke in there.

cheers

Attachments