Cantilever Tanks

GoldenMotor.com

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Im guessing that there are some variations with the opening dimensions even on same models requiring one-offs or tweaking of the tank dimensions adding to labor,bike needing to be local to fabricator, and ultimately co$t.
Cheers

fundreamer1

Dec 6, 2010
Oklahoma
Best of luck and speedy recovery FunDreamer. Please let us know how you are doing.
I appreciate that Dan, I am going to do my best, but after the last surgery (which led us to this one) I wasn't able to sit in the chair long enough to get on the internet for a few weeks. This time is going to be much harder (Very serious stuff this time) Hopefully I can make a full recovery without any lasting effects. :D

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Thank you for the explanation about the tanks. So far the best solution I've seen to the happytime tanks has been either a rear rack/tank, or to save the knees by putting slit rubber hose around the tank's metal ridge and gluing it to the tank. It looks pretty nice too if the right kind of hose is used.

Last edited:

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Im guessing that there are some variations with the opening dimensions even on same models requiring one-offs or tweaking of the tank dimensions adding to labor,bike needing to be local to fabricator, and ultimately co$t.
Cheers
Good point. My experience, which is plenty, is that the older straightbar Schwinns are all the same. They are beautifully made and completely consistant in the tank area. The Worksman frame has proven to have a fair amount of manufacturing tolerence. The tank area can vary between frames, some being loose and others tight. I do not have any experience with the Schwinn cantilever frames in this respect.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Found that my wallyworld Point Beach and kmart riverside Schwinns both have the same angles and space. Going to do an auxillary, cantilever tank under the regular kit tanks. Any ideas to etch or inscribe lettering on the sides? Could just make up stickers and clear coat but be cool to do it a lil more permanent and produced looking.

Just dawned on me, 3 tanks and new welder will have paid for it self and I will stop feeling guilty for having spent $314 right b4 the Holidays! (or just lead me to needing more stuff, lol)

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Found that my wallyworld Point Beach and kmart riverside Schwinns both have the same angles and space. Going to do an auxillary, cantilever tank under the regular kit tanks. Any ideas to etch or inscribe lettering on the sides? Could just make up stickers and clear coat but be cool to do it a lil more permanent and produced looking.

Just dawned on me, 3 tanks and new welder will have paid for it self and I will stop feeling guilty for having spent $314 right b4 the Holidays! (or just lead me to needing more stuff, lol)

Dan,
You should PM the member that makes the headbadges, I think he etches them, maybe you could work somthing out.

Cheers

ReiMon

May 12, 2010
New Hampshire
Does anybody know of a reasonably priced in frame tank for the std schwinn cantilever frames? Saw one aluminum one awhile back I think... was over $200 though.... any help? David
I made my tank out of epoxy resin and fiberglass. Id love to show it but there seems to be no way to insert a pic from my computer. It fits like a horn tank and i have about $75 worth of Material into it. it took several weeks to make but came out GREAT!

Last edited:

fishguts

Sep 7, 2010
southeastern MA
Definitely nice! My saddle tank cost more than twice that, but then, I had a disaster happen and had to start over and also put in double fillers/caps. Where did you buy your epoxy?

ReiMon

May 12, 2010
New Hampshire
I used the large bottles of 5 minute epoxy you can get at Home Depot. There are 4 layers of weaved fiberglass (also a homey D's item) and for the fill neck and cap I cut them out of ugly ass tank that comes with the kit. I used a foam mold as an investment type Cast and melted it out w acetone after. The result is nice but it took several weeks and was very messy. If I was to to it again I would cut the kit tank in half and mold around that. I'll add pics to the photobucket link I took during the process..

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I used the large bottles of 5 minute epoxy you can get at Home Depot. There are 4 layers of weaved fiberglass (also a homey D's item) and for the fill neck and cap I cut them out of ugly ass tank that comes with the kit. I used a foam mold as an investment type Cast and melted it out w acetone after. The result is nice but it took several weeks and was very messy. If I was to to it again I would cut the kit tank in half and mold around that. I'll add pics to the photobucket link I took during the process..
I think this is a great exampled of a do it your self type deal for the motor bicycle hobbyist enthusiast .. For folks that cannot afford a welding machine etc and cannot find what they are looking for, or simply cannot afford to pay some one else's labor. After all when a guy is out of money all a mans got left is his labor to earn more money. lol. They can sculpt a fiber glass tank any ol shape they want. This goes with the old saying if ya want it done right do it your self!! I am not making fun of others designs or approach at all. Its just every one has a great idea is all and going this route can simply truly express it!! Every curve shape contour all totally do able! bugman needs to see this:)(^)

Once again great tank! Looking forward to your progress log pictures. I have been gathering ideas for tanks and there construction all the time. This is actually kinda what I want for this build. http://motorbicycling.com/attachments/f45/24898d1274899071-my-newest-rat-full-susp-p1010011.jpg I could go the route of a tank at the bars? http://motorbicycling.com/f45/my-newest-rat-full-susp-19142.html

I want to have lots of clearance at the top bar of the bike.

fundreamer1

Dec 6, 2010
Oklahoma
Well i thought we were waiting for you to show us one.... :) any progress ? a pic would be nice....
I was trying to locate more suitable parts at reasonable prices, however since I have the upcoming surgery and have said so from the beginning, I was not getting in a hurry since i will be off my feet unable to do the work for at least three months. I will have decided to start posting pics of the tank build for my board track project by the end of the week. I will be custom making the fuel cap as well and I just hope I can get it finished before I have to go to the hospital. ;)

David D.

Sep 12, 2010
California
i understand... i am facing a hernia surgery right now myself.... can only work for short spurts at a time.... thanks to my son am still able to deliver bikes though.... hope your surgery goes well and you have a speedy recovery..... kindest regards, David

fundreamer1

Dec 6, 2010
Oklahoma
i understand... i am facing a hernia surgery right now myself.... can only work for short spurts at a time.... thanks to my son am still able to deliver bikes though.... hope your surgery goes well and you have a speedy recovery..... kindest regards, David
Well thank you, I just found out the surgery date is Feb. 28.
Also all this snow has made it impossible for me to work in the garage to do any work on the tank for now (Unheated) :(