English Touring Rat

GoldenMotor.com

Flight Risk

Jan 25, 2010
I originally had my Grubee on a mountain bike, but I didn't like the high bent over riding position and it had no soul. So I was looking for frames and thought a 24" stingray type bike would be good, but couldn't find a good cheap frame. I decided to butcher my great uncles 1960's English touring, 26", 3 speed, Monkey Wards bike which has been under a tarp in the back yard for 15 years. I wanted a lower seat height which would require a banana seat so that I could sit over the rear wheel. I cut out 5 inches from the down tube and then bent the top tube and the rear braces and brazed it all up. I burned off all the old paint, sanded the frame, and primered and painted it with rattle can Rustoleum. Found some high rise bars, banana seat and sissy bar. It sits and rides real comfy. I may put on a springer front fork at some time. I always have wanted to do something like this to a bike and it was a fun experience.

Rod S

Attachments

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Looking good Flight Risk(^) Its always interesting how an old school banana seat makes a look of these rides.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
It's not easy to make a Monkey Wards bike look good. It's even harder to make a banana seat look cool on a bike with 26" wheels. You pulled it off with great aplumb.

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
Nice, clean simple bike for not a whole lot of money....what's not to like?- great job!