Engine mount problem

GoldenMotor.com

psprat496

Nov 22, 2009
New Jersey
Ok I was riding today and looked down only to see my engine swaying left to right about 1"1/2 each way. The way I mounted the engine is the usual. Drill a small hole through the frame and use the mount that came with the kit. But I don't think that this is enough. My friend got a kit (66cc Grubbee Angel fire) that came with a thicker bolt. Mine came with a thin one that is very flimsy and I guess not doing the shop. Should I just go to Home Depot and buy a thicker bolt to use?

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Ok I was riding today and looked down only to see my engine swaying left to right about 1"1/2 each way. The way I mounted the engine is the usual. Drill a small hole through the frame and use the mount that came with the kit. But I don't think that this is enough. My friend got a kit (66cc Grubbee Angel fire) that came with a thicker bolt. Mine came with a thin one that is very flimsy and I guess not doing the shop. Should I just go to Home Depot and buy a thicker bolt to use?
Post a pick of what your mount set up looks like.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
It's hard to tell from the pic, but I can't see the head of the bolt??? did it snap off???

One more thing... I don't know what that is between the mount & the frame, but get rid of it! (bolt the engine to the frame with out any cushions!)

Last edited:

caprirs302

Jul 6, 2009
Home
First of all, those mounts don't come with "all of the kits." You have already weakened the integrity of your bike by drilling that hole through the frame. I suggest that you buy a better front mount. I use the one from sick bike parts, it only cost 15 bucks and has given me no problems.

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
First of all, those mounts don't come with "all of the kits." You have already weakened the integrity of your bike by drilling that hole through the frame. I suggest that you buy a better front mount. I use the one from sick bike parts, it only cost 15 bucks and has given me no problems.
I never did like the bolt through the frame mount....I`m using the U BOLT front mount kit....Works perfect....

psprat496

Nov 22, 2009
New Jersey
It's hard to tell from the pic, but I can't see the head of the bolt??? did it snap off???

One more thing... I don't know what that is between the mount & the frame, but get rid of it! (bolt the engine to the frame with out any cushions!)
Oh I didn't notice the bolt didn't completely show up in the picture but it's there. I think I'm going to order a mount from Sick Bike Parts.

psprat496

Nov 22, 2009
New Jersey
The usual is to follow sage advice and not drill a hole in your frame and not always use what comes with the kit. I will just say always use good mounts..bf.
I think I'm gonna place the order from the front mount with you guys this Saturday. How do I do about measuring the down tube width and engine stud width?

psprat496

Nov 22, 2009
New Jersey
Is the SBP Mount sturdy? Is there any sway in the engine at all?

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I think I'm gonna place the order from the front mount with you guys this Saturday. How do I do about measuring the down tube width and engine stud width?

Is the SBP Mount sturdy? Is there any sway in the engine at all?
You can do it easiest with a caliper. Even a $2 plastic one. You can also measure the circumference and plug the number in here: Diameter Calculator

Yes it's sturdy, we have sold 1000's now. Just make sure the bolts are seated, not bottomed in the engine case. No engine sway!

psprat496

Nov 22, 2009
New Jersey
You can do it easiest with a caliper. Even a $2 plastic one. You can also measure the circumference and plug the number in here: Diameter Calculator

Yes it's sturdy, we have sold 1000's now. Just make sure the bolts are seated, not bottomed in the engine case. No engine sway!
Ok we'll I'm glad to hear that their real sturdy. I'm gonna go find my calipers and measure everything up and send in an order. Hopefully I'll be riding again by next week.