what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

I got my wife to ride hers today. She said she had fun and would come back to ride around the parks with me on bikes again. Last few times we tried it, she had knee aches and was aggravated about how to start the motor. This time, we have her seat and bars dialed in, and she has had more practice with the Dax kit. She rode through a whole tank (1/5 gallon) of fuel and we did not have to stop anywhere except to let our baby play at the usual stops.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

took a ride this morning to check out my work from yesterday must have had crap in the tank because it clogged the stock screen (should have known better) but got it to work again with a little road side mechanical work then when i got home i noticed i lost a screw from my new rear fender which sucks but i can get another plus i need to cut a little more off of the motor side for chain clearance it works but its to close for me i will just cut it with the grinder and re paint with rattle can black thinking about changing to my nt speed carb but dont want to mess with it while it runs good also thinking about making a exhaust out of 1" mild steel tube 1/16 wall or 1/32
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=315 Might read this link. Much has been covered on the danger of front fenders. That fender can lock up the front wheel big time! While a rear fender might not be so bad to lock up it is still a unplanned event.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york

this only happens if you buy crappy fenders i have had the front on for almost 150 miles and a crash from being run off the road and it is still perfect the crash only scratched it and as everything on these bikes locktite is your buddy i can tell you a good body panel from a cheap one in 10 seconds of looking it over my welding is almost to the point of being great (still need the grinder) i do paint and also build motors (for cars).

today after the roads dry a little i might take her for a little trail ride and get a inline fuel filter and take the one inside the tank out add a small washer to the petcock to change its orientation and Teflon it back in trim my rear fender a little more also for extra chain clearance i hear it slap a little when i pull the clutch in and coast

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan

this only happens if you buy crappy fenders i have had the front on for almost 150 miles and a crash from being run off the road and it is still perfect the crash only scratched it and as everything on these bikes locktite is your buddy i can tell you a good body panel from a cheap one in 10 seconds of looking it over my welding is almost to the point of being great (still need the grinder) i do paint and also build motors (for cars).

today after the roads dry a little i might take her for a little trail ride and get a inline fuel filter and take the one inside the tank out add a small washer to the petcock to change its orientation and Teflon it back in trim my rear fender a little more also for extra chain clearance i hear it slap a little when i pull the clutch in and coast
That isn't true at all. 150 miles? Ha! I've put over 50,000 miles on bicycles with fenders. Any bike with fenders can pose a danger if they are not secured. Motor or not, even just pedaling. Cheap fenders, expensive fenders, don't matter. If they aren't secured properly they can come loose.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york

that is why you locktite the hardware i didn't locktite the rear yet because im still modifying it and yes a good fender makes a world of difference if its got fully rolled edges and stiffening beads rolled in it it doesn't flex i have do 30 - 35 mph on this bike regularly and the front stays right where it is supposed to be

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

It's not the fender, it's the cheap little tin tabs they give you to bolt it up with. They are usually pop riveted on and can break or just plain come loose. I usually remove them completely and make my own if I run with a front fender. After I make a tab out of better thicker steel I use a small bolt to attach it to the fender, Then peen it down like a rivet. Then lock washers and locktite to install. The rear fender is important also, just not as critical as the front.
Anyway, got my cheapo retro speedo in and installed. I'm finally almost finished with my bike. Well, as far as one can be with a build. There are always things that come up that make you want to change things around. I was looking to put drum or disc brakes on the front, but one was really expensive, (disc,) and the other, (drum,) was a LOT of work. (rebuilding and lacing a wheel.) So I got rid of the calipers and put on a set of cantilever forks. I got it all together last night and now I just have to tighten everything up and take it for a test ride. I found a set of Schwinn forks with cantilever bosses at Fabers Cyclery that are almost the exact copy of my huffy forks, so I kept the fat fork old school look. Was hoping to find some suspension forks with a 1" head tube and cantilever bosses but everything today is 1 1/8". Oh well, It's together now. LETS RIDE.
fatdaddy.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA

Rode the e-Revive out to the local street festival. Rode right past the barricades up to a street sign and locked the bike to the sign.

Got some food at a couple of stands, put it in the basket and rode home and had street fair food with pops.

People were talking. What is that? That's an electric bike. Where do you get those? Looks like the guy built that one. That's cool...

I just love riding past barricades. Can't do that with a motorcycle - :)

I did take the scooter up to Stockton yesterday for the Greek festival. Sign said parking lot full. But they can always find space for a bike - :)

Good weekend, lotta 2 wheel ridin', lotta good food and drink, lotta good conversation. Mostly about good food. All made easier by motorized bikes and scooters.

Cars suck for getting to crowded events - :)

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

This topic comes up a lot in the motorized bicycle world. The only mass production 1" threaded suspension forks are from RST, and not "real forks", basically just spring and elastomer jobs that work, but don't have any real damping.

You can convert your 1" threaded bike to take 1 1/8" threadless forks, but you will need probably 2 headsets to combine, and will need a threadless stem to match the fork. Call Lynne at www.custommotoredbicycles.com if you really want to do it without welding a new head tube on your frame.

It's not the fender, it's the cheap little tin tabs they give you to bolt it up with. They are usually pop riveted on and can break or just plain come loose. I usually remove them completely and make my own if I run with a front fender. After I make a tab out of better thicker steel I use a small bolt to attach it to the fender, Then peen it down like a rivet. Then lock washers and locktite to install. The rear fender is important also, just not as critical as the front.
Anyway, got my cheapo retro speedo in and installed. I'm finally almost finished with my bike. Well, as far as one can be with a build. There are always things that come up that make you want to change things around. I was looking to put drum or disc brakes on the front, but one was really expensive, (disc,) and the other, (drum,) was a LOT of work. (rebuilding and lacing a wheel.) So I got rid of the calipers and put on a set of cantilever forks. I got it all together last night and now I just have to tighten everything up and take it for a test ride. I found a set of Schwinn forks with cantilever bosses at Fabers Cyclery that are almost the exact copy of my huffy forks, so I kept the fat fork old school look. Was hoping to find some suspension forks with a 1" head tube and cantilever bosses but everything today is 1 1/8". Oh well, It's together now. LETS RIDE.
fatdaddy.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK

Monark forks are true shock forks and they most certainly have disc brake adaptors AND they are 1 inch threaded.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol

well today i am installing my CNS carb and custom intake manifold on my HS49 four stroke, hope she fits lol. ill be starting a thread on it later today.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK

Ok moonerdizzle, but can't you buy a 1 inch steerer and use that with some decent shock forks? I know I seen that somewhere,niw I'm off to find it!

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

No. I've seen some people cut out 1 1/8 steerer tubes (they are press fit, after the fork crowns are heated, and the steerers frozen), and install 1" tubes they cut themselves, but it's risky.

Marzochhi made some decent forks up to the 1990s that had bolt-on fork crowns, which could be replaced with other factory made crowns in different steerer sizes. I have one and it's pretty nice, a little heavy but smooth. I left the 1 1/8 on it, and I don't think parts are widely available for it anymore (springs, seals, etc).

Just remember if you are thinking about making your own pinch-bolt crown, that most shock stanchions for mountain bikes will not take too much pressure, and will slip out when they get any oil in there. Most of the bolt-on ones are also held by retaining rings and lips on the fork crowns.

Ok moonerdizzle, but can't you buy a 1 inch steerer and use that with some decent shock forks? I know I seen that somewhere,niw I'm off to find it!

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK

I see. I went to look for steerer tubes,but instead couldn't quit looking at the monark forks,with disc tabs of course.

And I went and looked at lynn's goods and wow. She always has stuff I can't find anywhere. Like the 1 inch threaded chopper forks?

Can you tell me how good the 1 inch threaded shock disc/cantilever forks are? I wouldn't mind some relief from the street for cheap.

At least until next year/next build.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

Monark forks are true shock forks and they most certainly have disc brake adaptors AND they are 1 inch threaded.
And also Manitou answer E9 suspension forks are 1" threaded. I found a set, calapsed, and didn't want to go through the whole "rebuild a F'up'ed fork" thing. So I gave up and put a set of old style Schwinn solid forks with the cantilever bosses on her. The cantilevers are A LOT better then the calipers I was using. I've got to get some harder pads though, the soft ones on it now are going quick. Stopping from 35mph eats right through them.
fatdaddy.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

**** found this on Fleabay for $60, hurry up if you want it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SR-Suntour-...Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item337bdd160d
100mm dual coil Suntour fork, 1" steerer uncut.

I bought a box full of Diamondback Softee v-brake pads and they seem to last a really long time for me. Which ones are you using? I got them for $2.50/pr at Niagara Cycle/Amazon.

Bike forks have come a LONG way. Most of them seemed to plain SUCK in the 1990s. I had an Answer/Manitou 1 1/8 threadless fork, and it was a pogo stick. One small jump and I bent the retainer clips. That winter, the elastomers froze and blew out. I put springs in it, then it was just boingy, like the walmart forks. I got a Marzocchi coil and oil about 10 years ago, a late 1990s model, and I'm still using it. I will be sad when I have to replace it bc. I'll probably be out $200 for something similar, even used.

Last edited:

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

Yeah Happy, you either spend 4 or 5 hundred for a good set of suspension forks or ride a pogo stick. OR find a used something and hope it don't blow out too soon. I just plain gave up on it and went with a solid fork. I was kinda hoping for a cheap but reliable set of sus. forks but there's no such thing I guess. Great find on the Suntour forks but I already went with the Schwinn's. Thanks anyway.
I have no idea what brand of pads I have on it, They were just laying around the shop so I stuck em on. Gotta get to Bicycle Express and spend money on some better ones.
Anyway, built a bracket for my front turn signals on my Hussy the other night to fit the Schwinn forks I put on. All thats left now is to solder things up and RIDE. (pics to come.)
fatdaddy.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK

But.....you could use Monark forks,right? Is there something wrong with them? I plan on using monark forks for my next bike but.....if they are no good that would be nice to know

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

That's cool. Rigid forks on a bicycle are right at home, even with a motor. You have to use your arm muscles some more and "pump" the bike over railroad tracks and things, but it's not so bad, especially when the fork never needs anything from an oil can, grease gun, or air pump. Fat tires are cheap suspension. Thick tubes do make a difference. Have a good ride.