Hf 6.5 predator clone good for boardtrack bike

GoldenMotor.com

Red Light Bandit

Dec 15, 2011
Dayton Ohio
The old hf 6.5 clone engine is no longer sold at my local hf store. And the new predator series is in abudance. I recently read a thread that stated the internals have some differences between the old and the new. Does anyone offer the aftermarket parts to do a similar build as Sportscar pat,lurker,or cobra freak? If so this would be the engine of choice for my elgin boardtrack build. If i have missed a link to the build up of this engine I would appreciate if someone could post it. Thanks to all that contribute to the hf builds and good luck to cobra freak at the easyrider show.

Red.

Attachments

Last edited:

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I looked into this and as up to a couple ago there were no racing parts for the predator yet. Maybe in the future there will be. I know you can go online and get a gx200 clone engine brand new for a reasonable price and just add the parts that you want. It's still pretty reasonable. I have the old harbor freight greyhound that is discontinued, so I'll be going this route when a new engine is needed one day.

agk

Oct 2, 2010
Santa Barbara CA
The Predator has changed from previous clone engines as many have already figured out. In short, the Predator uses a larger piston, different cam and different rod. The Honda GX200 parts that interchange would be the flywheel, cylinder head and valve train parts.

A Predator billet rod and Predator cam are available. So to build up a Predator you could use the stock piston with the Predator billet connecting rod, pull the govenor, add the Honda air filter adapter, high flow air filter, larger main jet, 18lb valve springs and aluminum flywheel. Then you can decide if you want to add a Predator cam along with some upgraded Honda valve train parts. And when I say Honda I'm talking about the aftermarket Honda GX200 parts that are available.

As a side note the 212cc Predator makes plenty of power for a bicycle in its stock form. Modifying these engines is fun, but not necessary.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
My stock Huasheng 49cc has no trouble whatsoever accelerating to speeds deemed legal for these bikes.

Another 150+cc build? Sheesh. Why not settle with a Pred 99cc? It has more than enough power and is not so big.

Just my 2 cents. There's a fine line between overkill and just getting plain greedy.

Red Light Bandit

Dec 15, 2011
Dayton Ohio
Thanks for all the replys so far. I new I wasnt the only one thinking about doing this build with the new engines available. I guess I really wanted to know if someone had taken the plunge already. I really like the looks of these engines and the clever ways all of you fellas are mounting them. Thanks for all the info and keep up the good work!

The aleman: I figured if im going to do this, you either go big or go home! Right! Besides ohio laws dont recognize Anything other than the bikes/mopeds that they deem legit made by a certain manufacturer. Im really building this for display and the old time newsies race and cruise at the fairgrounds. There are lots of early flat track bikes racing and some single cylinder engine harleys. Not trying to be greedy,just a little overkill for nostalgic reasons. I just want the best looking engine combo I can produce. And my two cents tells me the 6.5 Hf looks the best. And Know I know im not the only one.

Red.shft.

JohnThomas Sorrels

Dec 28, 2011
Ramona/ San Diego
I picked up a 212 cc predator at H.F. yesterday, I plan to remove the governor, replace the connecting rod and valve springs and either put a stock Honda flywheel or buy a billet flywheel for it. From everything I've read, the only non interchangeable parts with the previous clone engines are the connecting rod, cam, and crank, below is a link for aftermarket rod and cams...

affordablegokarts: 212cc Predator

I bought the engine for just under $100.00 with a printed 20% off coupon and will actually build it later, for now I will use it for mock-up purposes as I build my B.T.R. I'll start a thread on it once I have something to show.