Would anyone but me buy a smaaler still China Girl?

GoldenMotor.com

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I'd like to see some plastic resin fiberglass clutch and timing covers- I think they'd be both lighter and more sound absorbing. If you notice in the videos the 2 stroke mosquito motors don't have ANY flywheel cover, and are obviously louder for it.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Among the noisiest ones are the bike with a modified Mosquito driving a gear that runs on the inside of a moulded plastic back wheel.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
The link shows another example of overthinking- a foldable MB with a 49cc and top speed of 28, which indeed would be very rapid for such a thing.

I think the future really is thinking abut less power less noise and less speed and more practicality for shorter urban distances.

I'm in the process of building up an old 80's Schwinn World Sport frame with some stingray bars and a 5 or 6 rear derailleur only. I'd put a motor on it if I could find a smaller one, but I've already got a 49 build, and don't need to duplicate the experience.

Got this frame for $10 on craigslist, I'd love to put a smaller China Girl style motor on it I could pedal up to comfortable speed- an easy good roll up to 10 or 12 mph, and then clutch on and kill off at will, putter along at the legal 25 mph which is plenty for someone 62 who really does not want to fall off now. Maybe someone will make one happen someday. Our 50 and 66cc motors were both made to push HEAVY cruisers with outdated technology. The bike world has moved on in it's own way 700c wheels and tires are available in a wide variety of rim and tire widths to suit everyone's needs and tastes. I like ones that will both roll and still wear and carry the weight my several baskets can take along. My 50 cruiser has widths of 27mm or 1 1/8 wide. They don't need 50 ccs to do 25 , once the bike is rolling at least. Such a motor on this frame with a lighter tank- no tensioner, alloy motor sprock and light Industrial Trike 415 chain, would weigh in at about 37 or 38 pounds- a bike easily peddled in parking lots or through the park.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Yes, but what I am saying is that there are small and low powered European engines available if you want to hunt them down.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I've done a small search and found that difficult, and also by the thread on the Classic Bicycle boards, it appears difficult. I'm 62 and have two builds- a 50 and a 66 - I can ride only minimally now, so I;m not interested in really doing any builds-

I really only wanted to push forward the idea here and there. If I could get a low noise, lightweight 33 or 35cc-

they could even use the old 50cc stock carb- I'd probably put one on this bike

ps.- I put some clear coat on new paint today and have most of the components on the bike- pictures soon.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
We are small voices in the wilderness, just asking for what is called, in various languages, a help motor.

Hulpmotor, hilfsmotor, moteur d'assistance, motor ausiliaro.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Anyway- so I finished rebuilding that Schwinn frame above and I'd just love to put a nice quiet 33-38cc smaller China Girl on it- with a clutch to pop stop the afterburners- a water bottles worth of gas would give me a couple of usual trips for where I go in town, and 22-25 would be plenty fast

pedals pretty good too

DSCF2125.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

sbest

Nov 3, 2015
Nova Scotia
The more I play with these Chinese HT motors, the more I like them.

I have a 48cc and am happy with the power.
Instead of going for speed, think of it as a "help-motor" like Ludwig suggests.
I can easily get 50kms to a litre running full speed and I can double that by shutting it off and doing my part when the pedaling is easy.

This motor is in a shifter bike and I just had a freewheel failure (it stripped the pedal thread). This totally incapacitated the bike. Could not even pedal home! There is a lot to be said in favour of simplicity.

48cc motor, single speed, 410 chain, on a weight reduction plan will make for a fine lightweight, economical ride.

Steve