Motorized Bicycle Take a Tip...Leave a Tip

GoldenMotor.com

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
That's a great tip, Dave!

...I wonder if there will be any probs because it is not fuel/vapor rated???

Will you report back on how long it holds up for you?

if it breaks down, I wonder if it will send pieces of rubber into the cylinder??

tnx!
rc

SuperDave

Sep 24, 2011
Panama City Beach, Fl. USA
It turned out it wasn't a leak from the carb/manifold (no discernible change, still ran lean & runaway idle when warmed up) but I've since replaced my crankcase seals under the magneto & clutch cover, it runs better now. They didn't leak oil or look bad, but I don't have a microscope to see if it was a micro-tear. Now I have to track down a short in my tail light. (Sometimes it works, sometimes it flickers or won't work at all). I don't wanna get hassled by "The Man" over something trivial.

It's been months since I tried the intake hose adaptation & so far so good. I did have to use a bit of grease to shove the intake into the carb "hose". It is a tight fit. If it has ingested any rubber, it hasn't 'complained' or given me problems. I did it last fall, but I haven't ridden it much since then, I wanted to fix the air leak before giving it much use, I don't wanna melt a piston. Money has been tight over the winter and what spare cash I've had on hand was spent on other things like bills, food, etc. Now that it's springtime & money is flowing a bit more, I'm back to getting my bike running decent.

Rusty, I understand your concern about the fuel vapor issue, seeing how the hose was not designed to carry fuel, but hot coolant. So far I have not had any problems with it, but then again, it's been maybe a dozen miles clocked on it since then, so I can't say definitively that it is goof-proof. If the gasoline does eat the rubber, it has to eat through a considerable amount before it can leak, seeing how tiny the original o-ring was compared to the length & thickness of hose I'm currently using now.

Remember, the primary ingredient of automotive coolant is ethylene glycol, which is a derivative of a long chain alcohol molecule. Consider again most times auto coolant is about 180 degrees Fahrenheit. If it can withstand all that, I feel confidant that the tiny amount of rubber exposed to gas vapors is minimal compared to what it was designed for.

T_Raw

Mar 26, 2013
Navarre, Florida
I rode the bike to work this morning. I haven't been able to check the carb. I wouldn't say it really bogs I guess it just has no pull after it hits about 15 mph. I used some gasket sealer on the o ring in the carb to try and seal the hole up maybe that will help and I will check the spark plug and post my findings when I get home

T_Raw

Mar 26, 2013
Navarre, Florida
Okay so I found the problem when I got the motor the bolts that run through the crankcase were not bottomed out so I fixed that. Runs better still not where it was when I first got it. Had it up to 31 the top speed now is 18. It's a grubee skyhawk 66cc engine stock with a CNS carburetor. I did mess with the air enrichment screw but would that cause me to lose that much speed? Any suggestions?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
the bolts that run through the crankcase are important - don't miss the three that are under the clutch

T_Raw

Mar 26, 2013
Navarre, Florida
i did not check those but I will. bike ran just not well. I adjusted the float to try and get better rpms at a low speed because it runs better when the gas valve is shut off and now it wont start. lol.

aussiedan

Feb 23, 2013
australia
i did not check those but I will. bike ran just not well. I adjusted the float to try and get better rpms at a low speed because it runs better when the gas valve is shut off and now it wont start. lol.
sounds like you have a bad crank seal i had one bike that started to run bad and after replacing most gaskets,trying different carbs,exhausts and coils i replaced both crank seals and it runs perfect again. i think it was the clutch side as there was a small amount of oil seeping out but wasnt sure if it was grease

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
the crankcase is sealed all around its edges by those bolts you mentioned - at the two holes where the ends of the crank stick out of the case, there are two rubber seals to prevent leaking there

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Here's a tip for riders who need to use a magnetic card key to access a garage gate/arm. For years, I've carried my access card in my wallet. Then I'd had to stop @ the entrance and dig out my wallet, scan it, then put my wallet away before riding up the ramp. Since I always keep my wallet in my front left pocket, I simply get close to the scanner and lift my left leg slightly. This activates the gate, without having to fumble around for my access card.

I'm so happy!dance1

Vin

May 4, 2013
Washington DC
I have a question for the group...I've been riding my motorized fixie around my college campus...maybe put 10 miles on it. I noticed this morning that the rim on the rear wheel is pretty dirty and covered in spots of oil. First thing I think is to clean it off and see how much accumulates over the course of my trip to the cafeteria. A fair amount caked up. I realize that it may be running too rich, but what about the fact that oil is getting on the rubber of my rear tire? Does anyone have any advice on this for me? Thanks

-Vin

SuperDave

Sep 24, 2011
Panama City Beach, Fl. USA
If you look, I'll bet your exhaust tip is greasy too. Exhaust blow out of unburnt 2 cycle oil. Happens to me until the cat converter gets warmed up, it can take 10 minutes or more of riding to heat up enough to burn all the fuel/oil unburnt by the motor.

If it's a relatively fresh motor & you're still breaking it in with double oil as recommended, this is normal, just carry a rag with you. If not, then you may be running too rich an oil mix or the carb itself is jetted too rich (try dropping the carb needle a notch, see if it helps).

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I have a question for the group...I've been riding my motorized fixie around my college campus...maybe put 10 miles on it. I noticed this morning that the rim on the rear wheel is pretty dirty and covered in spots of oil. First thing I think is to clean it off and see how much accumulates over the course of my trip to the cafeteria. A fair amount caked up. I realize that it may be running too rich, but what about the fact that oil is getting on the rubber of my rear tire? Does anyone have any advice on this for me? Thanks

-Vin
I've used exhaust hose fromwww.davesmotors.com to extend my exhaust past my wheel. You can also point the hose away from the wheel.

I also get less oil splatter, now that I use 100:1 mix of fuel and Opti-2.

buck1234

Apr 17, 2013
Redwood City Ca
I came across a handlebar grip removal replacement trick. Windex to get it off and hairspray in the grip to keep it on. Suppose once on, laquer thinner to pull it off again.

Off topic "Something that really works" Like most folks I've been peeling a banana from the top. Gently pinch the bottom of the fruit and no more tearing,cutting or tearing the top with your teeth.

Buck aka buck1234