Can you get back the $ you put into a bike?

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The thing is, I simply can't get insurance or a motorcycle license because I'm 15. I'm slowly giving up.
It's OK Ultra, all us old guys were once 15 year old dare devils and bare the scars and pain from it in old age.

I just try to warn you young guys as I sure wish I had warnings when I was young because stupidity FRIGGING HURTS when you get old!

My question to you is what do you need from a monetized bike at 15?
An outrageously unsafe toy you can brag about on-line with stupid stunt videos, or actual reliable safe transportation?

I suggest you think long and hard on that.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
Back to the original question, yes, you can make your money back, and a profit.

If you're knowledgeable about bikes and parts, you can find good quality used stuff for cheap, at swapmeets, craigslist, ebay, etc.

Build all that up into something cool, get lucky finding a buyer with money, good taste but no skills, and you win.

I've built custom bikes for under $500 (much less, in some cases,) and doubled or tripled my money.

But, custom bikes are a tough sell. I've sat on bikes for months waiting for that one guy with cash to finally appear.

You'll never make money buying new bikes, new upgraded parts, making it reliable as well as unique, and thinking the average walmart shopper's gonna spend their money on it.

I gave up, because one thing I'll never get back is time.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
AMEN! KC. Back in the 50's when i was 15 i road my first 5/8 hp Briggs powered motorbike. They used a belt drive to car generator, with casing cut out on one side. For friction drive on the wheel, about 15 mph thought we were in heaven. Now days if it don't go 80 sorta, its not good enough. I had a factory made Monark twin just after that, and 30 mph was about tops on it.
My new build will have a 2 hp Lauson on it, and get about the same speed, anything over that is just to dangerous on a bike...................Curt

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
Ok, I want a reliable bike for transportation. And something semi legal. So until I can get a motorcycle license and go from there, I'll go ahead and build something like Necromancer's red 79cc Trek. Thanks everyone for all of the help and info. KC, I may be 15 but I'm cautious. I like "dangerous" things, but do everything in moderation and with a lot of caution. I'll go downhill mountain biking, but I won't do the 8 foot jump. I'll go longboarding, but not down a mountain road. And not a prideful hothead and I don't care about bragging rights.

I would love to build a 212 bike and I have the engine prepped. But for myself, I should make something to use. I like building and selling, but I want a better bike than my HT Walmart bike.

dogcatcher

Nov 11, 2016
Texas
I am 5 times your age, and have learned to keep life simple, you are complicating all of this. Build the 49cc, keeping it legal. In a few years, you will have reached the age of adulthood, then you can hotrod it in to a 212cc or whatever your heart desires.

At the age of 18, you will think you know everything there is to know and these complications are just bumps in the road. By the time you are 40, you will realize you know very little and those bumps are really a pain in the butt.

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
Thank you. That's wise advice. However, I don't like the Chinese kit engines. a 79cc engine with a 49cc sticker should be reliable and a little faster (30mph like I'm used to instead of 20mph).

Part of me wants to build something like a motoped because, I love the trails, the forest, and exploring on a bike. But that can wait.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Thank you. That's wise advice. However, I don't like the Chinese kit engines.
A 79cc engine with a 49cc sticker should be reliable and a little faster (30mph like I'm used to instead of 20mph).
Well, Harbor Freight Predator engines are made in China too, and the transfer cases and not cheap, ~$300!

But ya, stickers can help, 48cc is legal here in AZ and everything gas I build says 48cc on it ;-}

But, once again I stress you just don't need that kind of power for a bicycle, you just need to manage the power you have and NOTHING beats gears for that.

I agree that for personal transposition you can rebuild used, but that will make it harder to sell. I

Last edited:

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I have built and sold a few in the past and did not really make much after all my effort, traded for cash and tools one time and that was the deal. Recently I listed all my bikes that had not been riden for some time, sold all but the green Dyno... could not let it go. For bikes that I built awhile ago I got some fat cash... so there is some kind of hope, just need to be patient.

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
Very good. I'd like to find a way to add a generator. As soon as I get back to Oregon on the 6th I'll have my engine and I'll find a bike. A 79cc can fit in a mountain bike so I may go for that.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I think that's a good plan, if you hear it right you may be able to enjoy some dirt bike trails with it. With a jackshaft you could route the engine power to a derailleur. I think a strong MTB cassette and cassette driver freewheel can handle the torque better than geared hubs in general, but some people swear by Shimano Alfone hubs, I'd like to try one sine they lack freewheel pawls, the small ones in gears hubs tend to break and can sometimes crack other stuff like the driver or the hub casing. I think a gas mountain bike would be ideal, sadly in CA you're limited to dirt bike trails, no bike trails. I bet it's the same in OR, makes sense because the speed difference between downhillers and walkers is scary already.

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
There are a ton of MTB and Dirt bike trails minutes from my house. I'll be exploring for sure, but I don't think this bike will have a jackshaft or rear suspension. I'll do that with my next build. However, it will be affordable and a great form of transportation with reliable parts and good braking if all goes well.

[email protected]

Mar 22, 2017
Baltimore , MD , USA
Yes, you can get back you $ from your bike. But before that you must have knowledge about bikes and parts. Your mentality is also a factor. You can select cheap and better parts for your bike. For example, you can choose cheap tire which is durable and comfortable. At the time of changing your bike, you can sell it in a good condition so that it can attract your customer. This way you can save a small amount for your new bike.