Glossary Of Motor Bicycle, bicycle parts and tools

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
glossary

Was thinking a glossary of terms, abbreviations and acronyms would really help new folks. Drove me insane when I first got into this, trying to figure out what folks were talking about. Make it a communal effort with pictures and diagrams. Some great folks took the time to make em already to help others, so most of the work is done on that.
Dunno, just a thought.

As an added bonus, when we get around to publishing a MB Book (May I suggest calling it "the big book of Motorbicycling" or "How to anger your neighbors with out really trying") we will already have a glossary

Sidecar

May 28, 2010
Tn.
Re: glossary

I think that is a great idea! There are still a few that I'm trying to figure out. I figure if I keep reading I'll finally get it.

Sidecar

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ

Good idea Dan, a sticky for it too.

Other than SBP being Sick Bike Parts LLC - Performance parts for your motorized bicycle that sell the Jackshaft shift kit and and Expansion Chamber among other things.

CDI is Capacitor Discharge Ignition, it that little black box with the plug wire coming out and a pair of wires you need to hook to your motor.

That is all that I have right at moment. It's been a long day.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

But thinking about it, Internet stuff to brand new users is like learning a new mini language too. I had written an essay on interweb acronyms. I made up a few just to see if they would catch on. They didn't. snork.

I have to edit this, but kinda works. I'll fix this later

"Online language and etiquette

bbl = be back later.

brb = be right back.

Ty = thankyou

Yw = your welcome

Yvw = you’re very welcome

Np = no problem

lol = laugh out loud.

rofl = rolling on the floor laughing.

tc = take care. sd = sweet dreams. gm = good morning.

;) = wink :) = smiley [;~)> = computer guy winking (self portrait)

Online etiquette is not unlike any other polite society. Basic common sense should be your guide. Some folks come online and think the rules of polite society don’t apply because they are home or at work and anonymous. People still have feelings that can be bruised. Play nice. Don’t be offensive. (Though, like the real world, most are good and fun to chat with)
A word of caution; Meeting some one on the internet is no different then meeting them on the beach, bars or a park. Most people are mostly good, but not all. So use common sense. Any meetings face to face should be in public places, like a restaurant etc. Never give out personal information on the internet no matter how long you have known them. It might not be who you think it is reading it.

It always amazes me how intimate the written word can be, even in text. There is some thing about seeing words that some how makes it true when in fact its just some unhappy person being mean or kind person being good. Be good.

I once met a woman in a chat room. (Notice I speak as though we were there in the flesh) and she spoke how happy she was but didn’t mention a boy friend or husband. I asked if she was in love. She said “yes, how did you know?” The power and intimacy of the written word is an awesome thing. I really didn’t know, Just a feeling.

Bottom line; every thing you need to know about online etiquette, you learned in kindergarten. Play nice, don’t push and have fun."

Last edited:

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO

WOT is Wide Open Throttle

Gap: the distance between the electrode and ground on a spark plug, usually measured in hundredths of an inch.

more power.
Isn't 25/100 a quater inch,thats whats wrong ,I got the gap too small drn2

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Wow guys! This is cool and I hadn't seen it as going to this extent. Including bicycle parts, engine parts and maintenance/repair. So am thinking 3 portions. Bike, engine and mechanical? Or an all in one and adiabatically listed? Could do it as a thread and when some one comes up with a new or some thing to be added the first post, the OP (Original poster? hehe, I was never sure of that one) Just adds it in the right place?

the gap thing had me screaming way back. inches, metric....arghhh.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
To make it easy to find what different terms mean or the common name for parts and tools, I thought we could do a community written glossary.

If your inclined, just add what you like with a description and I will add to the original post.

Will help new folks a great deal.

A. Ape Hangers- long handle bars that one reaches up to.

B.
Bucking bar and bearing

C. Chain Tensioner - A device used to adjust the chain tension.

Compression tester..

CDI.

CC = Cubic Centimeters, refers to the displacement of the engine

CVT = Continuously variable transmission. As engine speed increases the gear ration does too. Similar to an automatic transmission.

D.

E.

F.

G.

H. HT (Happy Time) Nick name for 2 stroke engine kit

I.

J.

K.

L.

M.

Magneto (Coil and Magnet)..

N.

O.

P.

Q.

R. Rag Joint - Used to attach the rear drive sprocket to the rear wheel. [URL=http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm48/dan3xd/Glossary/?action=view&current=RagJoint.jpg]

S.

T. TDC and BDC = Top Dead Center, Bottom Dead Center. (refers to piston position and timing.)

U.

V.

W. WOT= Wide open throttle.

Woodruff key..A device with a flat top, flat sides, and a semi-circular curved bottom. Woodruff keys are used to assemble components on a shaft by fitting into a matching curved key slot. China girl has 4 keys. http://www.gemplers.com/images/pages/HC240.jpg

X.

Y.

Z.

*1 *2

Attachments

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Great input. Thanks. Is coming along faster then I thought.

The goal is to have the glossary written by the members so with suggestions please put definitions as well. That way it is a group effort and we can edit as needed, as we go along.