Choke

GoldenMotor.com

I Love My Bicycle

Nov 21, 2009
Canada
I understand that the choke is supposed to be up when starting the engine.

When do I lower it? When the engine has warmed up?

And how much to lower?

Thanks.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
I will lower mine within a minute, depending on how cold it is I may run with half to 3/4 choke for a few minutes and then all the way down.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
When an engine is cold and has been sitting you want to create a rich or excess fuel condition for starting. The choke does exactly that, it chokes your engine from getting the correct amount of air creating a rich fuel condition. This ensures that fuel gets to the combustion chamber.

I Love My Bicycle

Nov 21, 2009
Canada
When an engine is cold and has been sitting you want to create a rich or excess fuel condition for starting. The choke does exactly that, it chokes your engine from getting the correct amount of air creating a rich fuel condition. This ensures that fuel gets to the combustion chamber.
Perfectly clear. Thanks.

aspireonescs

Jan 4, 2010
Saint Marys county, Maryland
is it only me or does this happen to anyone else? when i ride my MB all of a sudden it will start surging and losing power, when i stop to check it out i find that my leg brushed the choke lever and put it on (all the way up) any ides on how to fix this? i was thinking of just taping it down as i only use it to kill the motor, and i always have a roll of tape in my bag

jcchappy

Aug 18, 2009
antlers, ok.
if you take the air filter off you will se a nut that holds the choke lever on. tighten it up a bit. my MB would actually vibrate the choke into the on position till I done this. The nut will make the choke action a little tighter but then the choke lever will stay where you put it. It doesn't take much tightening though. just enough to make the lever stay where you put it.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
the so cal mod, made popular by Norm from Venice Motor bikes, is to hook a rubber band to the choke lever, and then to the motor mount or something. it's classic old school ghetto-tech.

or just tighten it.

i was having a similar problem. i had an aftermarket petcock on the gas tank, and it stuck out at a weird angle. i used to rub my knee on it and shut the fuel off while i was riding.

aspireonescs

Jan 4, 2010
Saint Marys county, Maryland
tightened it, still same thing is happening, im thinking its a airflow thing thats doing it cause i just came back from a ride with my legs far away from the motor and it still came on. LMAO @classic old school ghetto-tech. rubber band time it is :) thanks bairdco i dunno why that diddent come to mind lol

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
If yer carb has a tickler/primer you could prolly get away with just removing the choke entirely. I've not actually bothered as I've not had problems w/it - but I also never use it despite ridin' all winter in Maine.