Attention new members!

GoldenMotor.com

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
For a bike with rear suspension, a rear mounted engine kit is the easiest. You can use a friction drive or chain drive depending on your tastes.
Most full suspension frames do not have enough room in the triangle area to fit an in frame engine. Also there is the issue of keeping the engine drive chain properly tensioned as the rear wheel moves up and down when the suspension travels.
A rear mounted engine solves these issues.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
If you can find a Mountain bike with rear suspension that will fit a motor,
A shift Kit can alleviate chain tension prob's.
Some of the fancier bikes have interesting L arm suspension linkages, I have seen bikes that this would work on, but $$$.

eqdrummer06

Feb 16, 2014
west palm beach
Ok, so I couldn't figure out how to make a new post, but anyway. I'm building a Micargi Tahiti cruiser with the 80cc motor kit from bikeberry. I ran into a problem with the expansion chamber, my pedal will hit the expansion chamber when finished. how do i fix this? also original exhaust does hit. I would really like the expansion chamber on the bike. does anyone make a part that I can bolt on to make the exhaust chamber longer to make exhaust sit further away from the pedal? i don't know how to post pictures

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Got pictures?
It is very common for the stock exhaust to hit the pedals. The most common fix is to file the bolt holes in the header flange (where it bolts up to the cylinder) to elongate them a little. Only file the side of the holes that will allow you to move the exhaust in the direction you want it to move to. Do not just randomly file the holes bigger. This will allow you to "twist" or rotate it it a little before tightening the exhaust nuts and hopefully let the exhaust fit better. You can also slightly bend the header pipe if the the bolt hole trick does not move the exhaust over enough.
Don't forget to support the muffler with a strap to the bicycle frame. The mounting studs were not designed to hold the whole weight of the exhaust all by themselves.

Now for the expansion chamber style of exhaust; with the exception of the SBP exhaust, which comes with various pieces of pipe and rubber couplers to custom fit the header pipe to your bike, there are no "kits" to custom make a pipe.You could try to make your own system like the SBP one with copper plumbing parts, high temperature silicone tubing and hose clamps.
You could also make the parts you need out of steel tubing and have a muffler shop weld it together for you. Paint it with BBQ paint when it is done to protect it from rust.

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Got pictures?
It is very common for the stock exhaust to hit the pedals. The most common fix is to file the bolt holes in the header flange (where it bolts up to the cylinder) to elongate them a little. Only file the side of the holes that will allow you to move the exhaust in the direction you want it to move to.
We call that 'reamy reamy' here, and don't use a file.
We just get a drill bit the size of the mount holes, then just ream each hole up and down some so they are more like grooves than holes.
As mentioned this will allow you to twist the pipe in some.
Also note you can put an extra exhaust gasket or two on to move the pipe forward.

Paint it with BBQ paint when it is done to protect it from rust.
BBQ paint is garbage, at least the Ace hardware stuff is. It just leaves an oily runny mess.
We use nothing but PlastKote high temp engine enamel for everything on an MB. The auto parts store around the corner from me carries it. It's expensive at ~$10 a can but the stuff is awesome.

NewGuy123

May 18, 2014
Tennessee
I'm just getting started in the world of motor bicycling and I'm looking to make just a really basic bike that I can ride around my neighborhood and city. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions about a good bike I could use and possibly a good source for a spare engine or a reliable cheap engine kit. Thanks:)

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
dont mean to bring pack an old post, but how do i check if theres replies to my post or forums?
You'll have to go to your profile page and go to "edit options", scroll down and check receive e-mail notifications, that will do it. Go to user cp to edit.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks, Greg.
I'm struggling with learning Windows 10 and a new computer. I was going to answer his question but..........:(

Greg gave you the right answer, brywink04. If that doesn't work for you, let me know.

Tom

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Ok, so I couldn't figure out how to make a new post, but anyway. I'm building a Micargi Tahiti cruiser with the 80cc motor kit from bikeberry. I ran into a problem with the expansion chamber, my pedal will hit the expansion chamber when finished. how do i fix this? also original exhaust does hit. I would really like the expansion chamber on the bike. does anyone make a part that I can bolt on to make the exhaust chamber longer to make exhaust sit further away from the pedal? i don't know how to post pictures
What I do on all my predator bikes to get the pipe in the right shape is clamp it to a welding table or some other object that isn't flammable, take my acetylene torch and heat up the pipe till its glowing orange in the section I want to bend, then clamp onto it with a vise grip and bend it a little bit so it fits the way I want it to.

baddawg

Dec 3, 2016
Portland OR
Hello all this is Michael

Where do i buy in Portland Or instead of mail order.I been looking but see nothing close any ideas?? currently putting weed eater motors on but want a kit

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ANY REPLIES Michael

.shft. 2nd is the 1st place loser

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Hello all this is Michael

Where do i buy in Portland Or instead of mail order.I been looking but see nothing close any ideas?? currently putting weed eater motors on but want a kit

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ANY REPLIES Michael

.shft. 2nd is the 1st place loser
I could help you build a bike if you are in portland. Pm me if you are interested.

Raincloud

Feb 19, 2017
Peoria,IL
I am also new to this game, but researched several You Tube videos, on motorized bicycles, before starting My build. My Bike is a basic cruiser with small tubed frame. I had no problems fitting the motor on the frame. I have seen some full suspension mountain bikes that have a shock mounted where the engine would go. Maybe the engine could be mounted high, but it would be more problems that I would want to tackle. I'm having enough problems, with what I have!

ItsMeTheNat

Mar 24, 2017
PA
I am new to the world of motorized bicycling...but am definitely looking to learn more before I get started! I currently have a Schwinn beach cruise...is that a good fit for a motorized ride?

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
The beach cruiser is probably the most use bike by new builders, they offer plenty of clearance and accept most motor combinations without any modifications. I prefer the b/c over others because being over 6' it rides better to me.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
any cruiser with gears and real brakes and 26' wheels is good - I tend to build the ones with smaller frames tho, as it is nice to get both feet flat on the ground