Central Missouri builders?

GoldenMotor.com

FrankensteinSadie

May 20, 2009
Bonnots Mill, Missouri
Hi - I've got a 49cc "slant" engine off of e-bay. I'm planning my first bike. The frame I'm probably going to use is a men's Roadmaster Fury mountain bike, that apparently used to sell for around $65 at Walmart. The front tube is oversized, which seems to be a common problem. I am working on a mounting system to not only accomodate the bigger frame, but also mitigate some of the vibration. I'd like to eventually build out a 20" Krate (or knockoff), complete with banana seat, raked springer fork, and suspension sissy bar. We'll call that the long term plan.

The bigger problem I'm running into on the Fury is that the angles seem to be too tight to have room for the spark plug and carb. Since this bike was free, I'm thinking about just hacking up the frame and welding in a new section of the front tube, smaller in diameter, and canted out to give more room for the engine. But that doesn't do anything about the vibration, and - in the spirit of making things as difficult (cool) as possible - I'd like to come up with a mounting system that will work if I move the engine over to something like a Schwinn Landmark, Point Brake, or Cranbrook (the three models I'm looking at as Fury-alternatives.) Who knows, if I come up with something I really like on the Fury, I might just put the banana seat and springer forks on it.

Has anyone done much with 20" tires on a 26" frame? I really like the proportions of the stock Krates, and the spacing between the back tire and the seat is a big part of the look.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Deacon has done a few builds with 20" wheels in 26" frames
You close to Jefferson City I come there regularly to visit my family and most times I take at least one mb with me.
Norman

FrankensteinSadie

May 20, 2009
Bonnots Mill, Missouri
I work in Jeff and live about 30 miles east. It's great riding country - for both motorcycle and bicycle - hopefull I can report how it is for motorbicycle within a month or two. Lots of flat bottomland road along the rivers, and lots of twisty hills up and down the ridges and bluffs.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
welcome to the forum,i got the engine to fit tight on a roadmaster sx sport with a little hacking here and there,but i moved my engine to a scwhinn delmar,lots more room.

Last edited:

FrankensteinSadie

May 20, 2009
Bonnots Mill, Missouri
Bought a bike! It has the most ridiculous paint job ever - but that's an easy problem to fix. It's a 20" "Bratz Beauty" bike. It's a stingray ripoff, with a bent springer front up front, and a banana seat in back. I THINK the engine will fit, but it will be tight. I saw a guy selling a 20" bike with an engine on ebay the other day, so I've got to at least try it. The trouble is going to be in mounting the carb and bolting on the gas tank. Oh yeah, and getting to the spark plug too. If everything doesn't fit, at least I've got all the parts I need to build out the Fury. I was planing on repainting the purple frame (complete with star decals) but I just might keep the "bratzrod" stock.

saetta

Jul 29, 2008
Central Missouri
Hello from Columbia Mo. I am one of a few that I am aware of with a motorized bicycle in Columbia. I completed my second build three weeks ago, a Schwinn OCC chopper. My first is a 26" single speed cruiser, now one year and 870+ miles old.

Amanda

Aug 24, 2009
MO
Hey Saetta.
Columbia MO here too- off Worley, couple blocks from family health ctr..near parkade. Just ordered my first kit from thatsdax a couple days ago, and hoping to motorize a bike as soon as it gets here. If I run into mechanical trouble (this is my first kit) there's a local to stalk!

Have police here bothered you about your bike? have you been pulled over and asked to register it or other grief?
Best wishes,
Amanda