Guess I'm out for the season

GoldenMotor.com

a.graham52

Nov 22, 2013
island of misfit toys, maine
Blew the rear tire again this morning half way though my commute.hitched a ride home to retrieve my truck and pick up the bike. Got to work and found a large screw through my bran-new tire and tube. After removing the tire and tube I also found four broken spokes. I have yet to inspect the remaining spokes as I have not removed the sprocket but figured I might as well call it a season. I'll accumulate upgrade parts over the winter and regroupe in the spring.

Last edited:

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
No worries haha. A hub adapter is on my mind now.
I was just thinking the same thing. That should take a little stress off the spokes. They aren't cheap, though. On the website it would've cost 97, off ebay it was 86 shipped.
When you think about it, the power stress is still on the spokes, but it's spread to all the spokes, not just half.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Manic-Mechanic-Billet-Sprocket-Adapter-Sprocket-for-Motorized-Bicycle-Engine-/271460416527?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f344d3c0f

a.graham52

Nov 22, 2013
I was just thinking the same thing. That should take a little stress off the spokes. They aren't cheap, though. On the website it would've cost 97, off ebay it was 86 shipped.
When you think about it, the power stress is still on the spokes, but it's spread to all the spokes, not just half.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Manic-Mechanic-Billet-Sprocket-Adapter-Sprocket-for-Motorized-Bicycle-Engine-/271460416527?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f344d3c0f
pirate cycle has some for $50 i think. i saw one on there today for "walmart" bikes

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
Most shops sell cheap stainless wheels that will at least get you rolling again

After you break a few spokes the rim starts to be compromised, small stress fractures develop and rebuilding the wheel becomes dangerous

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
pirate cycle has some for $50 i think. i saw one on there today for "walmart" bikes
Yes, they're 50. The sprocket designed to bolt up to it costs 37 more. I guess any sprocket can be drilled to work with the adapter. I noticed the center hole in their sprocket was much larger than in the chinese ones, so I wouldn't have to enlarge it. I have no access to an end mill anymore, so I went for it.
The cost might make sense when you think how easy it would be to remove/reinstall the sprocket from now on. 3 bolts.
If the new 40 tooth I bought turns out to be too tall, I will drill the 44 and enlarge the hole with a hand drill and abrasive stone or something.

a.graham52

Nov 22, 2013
so i wen to the two local bike shops we have. neither of them want to respoke my wheel. i may be on my own here. one place just wants to sell me a wheel, other other place says its not worth their time and just plain wont do it.

Sep 4, 2012
America's Hi-five
oh im sure but if i had any hope of getting on the road before snow, that was it
for whatever its worth, you are ahead of the game with that wheel. You have spokes you can measure, so getting them should be easy. lacing a wheel is easy, but scary looking. If you already have broken spokes, you have very little to lose, it won't cost you much to replace them, and the skill you gain is well worth the attempt to fix it. You could be on the road in a few hours or a long afternoon. No matter what, this probably won't be the last spoke you break. I go through a handful every season. Wheels found in the garbage have lots of spokes that could fit. Keep your eyes on your neighbors' garbage.

a.graham52

Nov 22, 2013
alright guys. im going to start doing some repairs. couple simple questions from a novice. when i go to measure the spokes, where to i measure them to? from end of the threads to the inside/outside of the 90 degree bend or what?