Peanut tank with a friction drive

GoldenMotor.com

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
I like my friction drive but the tank is tiny. Can I mount a peanut tank on my bike? There are 2 lines going from the tank to my engine.

shwnrttr

Dec 2, 2009
titusville, florida
you wont be able to use standard peanut tank. with that carb. you could look into getting a gravity fed carb. or get a tank from a pocket bike or something with a pulse fed carb. you might be able to modify the peanut tank, but i dont think ive seen it done before.

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
You can put a nipple on the fuel cap(enlarge the vent hole) of the built in tank, and hook a line from the peanut tank into it. It will then use the fuel in the peanut tank first, and then use the original tank's fuel when the peanut tank empties. Another way would be to seal the vent hole of the engine mount tank, and a T fitting into the fuel line.

Last edited:

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
could I use a nylon t fitting from the peanut tank to the engine and bypass the original tank completely?

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
You can put a nipple on the fuel cap(enlarge the vent hole) of the built in tank, and hook a line from the peanut tank into it. It will then use the fuel in the peanut tank first, and then use the original tank's fuel when the peanut tank empties. Another way would be to seal the vent hole of the engine mount tank, and a T fitting into the fuel line.
I think I get it....that way there will be gas in the original tank but also in the peanut tank. Sort of like not replacing the tank, just expanding it. I wonder if I can get a gas cap that will fit the original tank so not to sacrifice the original gascap incase I want to go back to using only the on board tank. What size/kind of nipple should I be looking for?
Thanks

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
You should easily be able to find another cap. Lowes and Home depot have small motor replacement caps, as do most small engine repair shops. The nipple should be the same size as the outlet on the peanut tank where the line comes off the shutoff valve. I'd put a filter under the tank as well. The hole in the gas cap should be enlarged and the nipple glued in with an epoxy based glue. You need the fuel shut off when you refuel. However, the system won't work if the fuel valve is closed when running. The vent for the system becomes the peanut tank cap.
It'll probably be a good idea to always shut off the valve on the peanut tank each time you stop running the engine, to prevent the possibility of flooding as the tank will be higher than the carb.

Last edited: