First post and First build

GoldenMotor.com

Molsem

Aug 1, 2011
Tampa Florida
Greetings from land of humidity, also known as florida. Just(literally) finished my first build on a 94' GT mountain bike. It was an interesting process. I am fairly mechanically inclined, but this was a different undertaking. Working with a skyhawk GT5, and rear sprocket rubber that was obviously sitting in a bent position and took me over an hour just to put the sprocket on... Then I got to do it again when I realized it was on backward(first attempt at starting threw the chain) Clutch was stuck. had to adjust that.. It's been loads of fun. haha. Also. Why do they not send these kits with clamps for the fuel line? I appreciated the fairly decent line instead of the fishtank hose, but without clamps it won't even stay on. Oh well.

Edit/ After some more riding, I've noticed that if I open the choke I can go full throttle. but have no low end power. but with it closed I get the low end and such.

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I use omc 2 plus 4 additive in my fuel for all of my small engines, I don't like the way my bike runs on the blended fuel.

Molsem

Aug 1, 2011
Tampa Florida
I'm waiting for some mountain bike enthusiast to freak about the fact that I've put a motor on a 800 dollar bike. I'm really enjoying it, it rides better every time out. took it for at least 30 laps of my half mile block. and snapped the chain at 30mph(the highest i've gotten out of it) not bad for toting a 210 6'4" man. Tomorrow I will be buying a newer heavier chain hopefully. going to try my LBS for a 415 or a 410H chain. or pray home depot or lowes carries a #41. Friday is payday, and that means upgraded plug/wires/air filter/fuel filter/expansion chamber from Sbp. I'm having so much fun on this thing I just have to upgrade it. Essentially, I'm still having to keep the choke about half for lower power, and then open it up for full throttle. but in some ways it's fun. Like shifting into higher gear. More break in and better performance parts may eliminate how drastic the difference is with the clutch. Also waiting till other parts are on before I start tuning.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
If you are running with the choke on your main jet is too small, the SBP upgrades you talked about will need more fuel. I am running a 48cc with the cns2 and had to drill the main with a #66 after installing the SBP air filter just to get it running like it was with the stock filter.The more air you let in the more fuel you will need, about 14 to 1 ratio air to fuel.Also the chamber may purge some fuel from the cyld leaning it some.

Molsem

Aug 1, 2011
Tampa Florida
Drill the main jet? Like with a handheld drill? I don't have a lot of tools at my disposal for fabricating. I've searched but can't find a real descriptive answer on how to drill jets. But I thought having to use the choke to increase throttle range meant I was getting too much air? I have read a lot, but it seems i'm confused.

Also considering the jaguar cdi unit as well as my other parts listed for upgrade this week.

New picture of her just after a few trips around the block(man am I getting lots of attention from my neighbors who can't believe I built this.) New #41 Chain on courtesy of northern tool that I had no Idea was less than a mile down the road.

Last edited:

Molsem

Aug 1, 2011
Tampa Florida
So I decided to get a new carb instead of toying with what everyone says is garbage. Thatsdax rt carb to be ordered friday. along with fuel filter/spark plug/expansion chamber from SBP, and also getting the Jaguar CDI unit/coil from JNMotors. I'm giddy with anticipation.

Also took my first fairly long ride(to work and back) yesterday, learned that sidewalks are a lot less fun at 25mph, and altered my route to include all bike lane.

e/ I'm intending for this to be my main transportation to and from work. So I went ahead and did some temporary waterproofing. About a pound and a half of electrical tape to all wiring, and a plastic barrier between my rear tire and the carb(till I can find fenders that won't look idiotic on this style bike.)

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Thats cool, having a Northern tool close by.

Your bike looks great with the color contrast. Very bold looking.

Commuting on a MB is great fun. Just seems to be a great way to start a work day and to unwind after. Plus the gas savings.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I hate to tell you this, if you install the new carb and pipe consider yourself lucky if you dont have to rejet. Most members here have had to from time to time on diff. builds. Anyway your bike looks great, I hope the "car riders" in your area dont pull out in front of you " because its only a bicycle" like they do here in Ga.

Last edited:

Molsem

Aug 1, 2011
Tampa Florida
Of course they do, I live in a large city with very little bicycle traffic. Fortunately larger roads do have nice bike lanes. And I pay very close attention. I am getting the rt carb and the 60,65,70,75,80 jet sets for it. Hoping one of these sizes will be perfect. I preferred to buy the premade jet sizes. We shall see come next week all orders going in Friday before noon.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Welcome, and nice bike. Another thing you should to 'off the hop' is secure your chain tensioner with a screw or something, or consider running without one if you can. You don't want the tensioner turning into your spokes at speed.

gl.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
After your engine is broken in, around 150 to 200 miles you will notice better power and it will be much more fun. Four of us ride fairly regular, we get alot of looks and questions when we stop for a break. 60 miles in one day is the high mark for me.

Molsem

Aug 1, 2011
Tampa Florida
60 miles is a pretty decent trip. I've read lots about break in. Honestly I can't believe it just gets faster every time. I'm excited to see how shell run with the higher performance parts, and switching her to 75:1 opti-2

Molsem

Aug 1, 2011
Tampa Florida
Little updatearoo Got a dirtbike helmet, pretty nice, makes me feel authentic. Also some nice gloves as the throttle was giving me blisters. I'm not easy on it either apparently, because the little plastic notch that held it in place snapped right off. So I drilled a hole down through the top of that assembly, and put a screw through that and the hole in the handlebars. TADA. She's also got a rear fender, courtesy of my grandfather who happens to just store stuff EVERYWHERE. Lovin the ride, Lovin the life. Is there such thing as like MABE? Motor assisted Bicycle Enthusiasts? Like a Yacht club, but for MAB's. lol

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL on the club thing. Ayup and think ya joined one. (here)

Lots and lots of folks near you. Try to hook up with them. Check out the events section or start one. Is really great to hang out with others in to this. Great learning experience too.