How can I bend 1" tubing?

GoldenMotor.com

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I am looking for a method of bending 1"OD .058 wall steel tube for a bicycle frame. I do not have a 1' manderal and have not had any luck with the sand fill method. I will be greatful for any help.

wileydavis

Nov 22, 2010
Bozeman, MT
What radius? If you can get away with a large radius, you can just bend it by hand (slowly) around something large and round. I bent the 1' x .049" top tube on my bike using two 18" particle board discs routed to form a half round. See pic. I also used this to bend the chainstays. Even on the .035 wall chainstays I didn't get any wrinkling.

Last edited:

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
What radius and wall thickness? If you can get away with a large radius, you can just bend it by hand (slowly) around something large and round. I bent the 1' x .049" top tube on my bike using two 18" particle board discs routed to form a half round. See pic. I also used this to bend the chainstays.

I was kinda thinking of doing something like that. But the drop loop is a pretty tight bend and I was worried about getting a kink.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I just measured an old cast iron 3/4" EMT bender. It starts out a 1.030" and ends up at 0.960. It is to big to fit in my lathe so I will attempt to take a file to it to open it up to 1.020.

If so I can bend the tubing using it the way the tool was designed or perhaps build a backer and use it in a manderal type setup.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
You can go to most any small muffler shop & they'll be able to bend it for you (most likely for free.) :)
That was also something I was thinking about. There is a small muffler shop that I have bummed scrap exhaust pipe from. The downside is that I won't have control, as most of my work is trial and error.
Thanks everyone, looks like I'll try the modified EMT bender.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Have you tried to fill the pipe with water and freeze it then bend it?[/QUO

One thing is for sure it would be no problem freezing the 6 ft tube. Just leave it outside for an hour. I will try that method on some scrap tubing just to see how it works out. I doubt that it would crack the tubing if it was filled and left veritical while freezing with the top open.

In my teen age years I did sand filled bending but results were mixed 60-40 failure to sucess. More than likley due to lack of skill.

I saw some bending mandrels for 1" dia tube. However the shipped cost was around $200.
Two much for just one bike build.

Last edited:

wileydavis

Nov 22, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Do you mean a mandrel or the die? You shouldn't need a mandrel to bend .058 wall tube... not for 1" dia anyway. A 6" radius would probably work for a drop loop, which isn't so tight that a mandrel would be necessary.

I've had better luck in the past with ice than with sand. You could also try cerro bend, a low-melting point metal alloy... kinda nasty stuff though... and not terribly cheap.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Wiley,
Yes you are 100% correct, I should have used the word die not mandrel as the items for sale are dies. I will also try the ice method. Perhaps the ice method would work good if I used it on a form as you suggested.

Thank you for the correction and suggestion.

Last edited: