Do you sell motorized bikes? Looking for tips

GoldenMotor.com

walander

Aug 27, 2010
ID
Hey all. I havnt posted here alot but I have been lurking for some time. I got into it thinking I may be able to make a few bucks building and selling these things, and if it didnt work out, then id end up being stuck with a motorized bike ( self to wife: Hunny, it didnt sell, that means we are going to have to keep it, I should ride it often, to make sure it stays running ) needless to say, I wouldnt mind so much.
Anyways. I built the first one on a mountain bike, sold it within a week on craigslist for $350 ( $250 invested in the build) , now I have built a cruiser on a cranbrook, its getting some interest but not sold yet, I know the time of year is not right. But my question is, What are your tips and tricks for selling? where and how do you advertise? what do you charge? those kind of things im interested in knowing, thanks for all your input.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I've sold several on Craigslist and let me tell you, you have to have a hook. Like all sales where you have considerable competition, you need to point out why yours is the better deal. Whether it's quality of parts, unique design, trick paint and styling, or attention to detail, you need to let them know yours is the one they want. So many people buy these bikes on a whim. If you just put it out there and say "here's a cool motorbike for sale", well, guess what, there's probably a dozen or so that say the same. Provide good photos paying attention to background. I can't believe some I've seen with so much junk behind the bike, you could barely see what they're selling. If you have a cool workshop that's neat and clean with one of those massive toolboxes, that might make a good background. Personally I like to shoot my bikes on grass at the local park, or at the beach. That way the potential customer imagines himself out and about in the neighborhood. Also you riding down the street makes a good point. It's rideable. Also offering customer support such as a printout of the owners manual for the motor kit and for the bike if it's new. Obviously offer a test ride before purchase. Let the customer know how quiet these are and point out the easy registration and local laws. Some people won't even consider one if they don't know they're legal. Let them know the extra work and detailing you did to your bike unlike the others for sale. It's a sign of quality.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I forgot to mention, the ones that sold the quickest for me were new Schwinns like the Point Beach or Legacy. Bright red with Chrome fenders. Red and chrome really does outsell other styles. Also, everybody knows Schwinn is a quality name.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Hey, your in there. Looks like a good solid build. Great photos and text. I have two friends who would buy it today if you were in So Cal, and it would save me from building them bikes. You neglected to mention your idler upgrade and you might remove the chain marks from your whitewall. Other than that, I don't see why it is not sold already. You're giving it away.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
That is the very thing that has stopped me from building and selling. I'm sure a good lawyer could find away around any such agreement.
thats why you need a good lawyer to wirte one up