Ghetto Carb Float

GoldenMotor.com

Cycofast

Jun 2, 2008
Indiana
So as many of you know, over the past week I’ve been having difficulties with my carb’s float. Apparently the plastic seam on the float has a small leak and it slowly fills with fuel (probably fills in 24 hours). My first attempt to fix the problem was to drain the float and seal the seam with epoxy. This did not work because the gas ate right through the epoxy. My second attempt was to use super glue on the seams. This worked for about 3 days or so, but it then failed like the epoxy. I then began a fruitless search on Google, eBay, and 5 local lawnmower repair/dirt bike shops in the area for anything that would work as a new float. No dice. I then decided to do the only thing I could; I fabricated my own float.

I decided to use a small chunk of cork that I purchased at a winemaking supply store. The cork was actually a large stopper for a glass carboy, and it cost me about $1. I then drew a pattern on the chunk of cork from the leaky float, cut the pattern with a band saw, and drilled an 11/32’’ hole in the center. I know it seems a little “ghetto,” but hey it works like a charm. Just thought I’d share my float solution…at least until I can find a new one.

Below see the pictures of the floats new and old as well as a picture of the buoyancy test. I welcome your comments and thoughts.

Attachments

mike373

Jun 16, 2008
Too funny.... I just had the same thing happen to my float....and was thinking about making a cork one too. I am waiting for my new float from DAX. What a POS.

Mike

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Nice fix....I have seen several airplanes with a cork float for fuel gage duty. Check it on occasion to make sure it doesn't get fuel soaked....then ride that sucka!

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
hey good deal I didn't know where to point you to find a cork big enough but it looks good. I know that airplanes use cork on their floats and they are sealed with some kind of resin or glue an aircraft mechanic might be able to help. Or contact EAA and ask them what was used to coat cork fuel tank floats in the past they should have an answer. I used to belong to EAA 20 years quit cause I didn't like paying dues seemed to be getting too commercial and my airplane took enough beating sitting on EAA'S flight line during the airshow at Oshkosh all the security was at the war bird area and none in the experimental area. And what does EAA stand for Experimental aircraft association not war bird association. getting off my soap box.
ride it like you stole it.:ride2:

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Dow Corning makes what you need to fuel proof the cork, it's called Deracane 411-350 It's a vinyl ester resin............................