scooter drum brake

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
John,
I can't help you much with where it came from or how to install one on a bicycle wheel but I'll vouch for how well it works. There's one on the front wheel of my trike, 12" scooter style wheel, and that little guy has some stopping power. The rear coaster brake went out and I rode the trike around as a plant bike for a long time and many miles with only that small band brake on the front wheel. It shows little signs of wear and still grabs tight. I'll examine it a little closer tomorrow when I'm back to work and see if I can suggest a way that it could be adapted to a spoked bike wheel. By the way, if you don't know where to find one, where did you get the picture? Curious.
Tom

john_the_great

Oct 24, 2009
California
I know i can get the one in the picture from partsforscooters I was just curious if they made one fer bicycles or how someone converted one of these scooter ones to there bikes. The Spooky tooth rim is definitely cool, but I have a nexus 3-speed wheel on the way and can't use another rim.

john_the_great

Oct 24, 2009
California
It is a coaster brake hub but I have a sick bikes shift kit I am currently installing so the free-wheel would prevent me from peddling backwards and engaging the coaster brake.

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
From what I've seen this is bolted onto a disc brake 6-hole hub. That's how spooky tooth does their HD wheel. The inner brake hub is bolted to their sprocket adapter/sprocket with either two or more of the screws(depends on the mm size). Picts included.

Also you can get different sizes here...
90mm Large Band Brake for 2-Stroke Bike Electric Scooter Brake (4 1/2in)

Attachments

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
The roller brake shimano makes is completely different. These come on Grubee hubs as previously stated. the drum threads onto right hand threads and the band is shimmed away and anchored like a coaster. You might be able to run it on a flip flop hub w/ your shift kit. I'll check for you tomorrow I have a flip flop and one of those brakes. I think they are the same size thread. Also you would need to change the axle and over locknut distance on the hub. The spooky tooth hd wheel is a Grubee hub, The sprocket adapter screws on a left hand thread so it tightens when you ride and the brake onto a right hand thread so it tightens when you brake!