Kill Switch Mounting

GoldenMotor.com

pedal pusher

Feb 20, 2009
Charlotte, NC
I am a first time builder struggling along with the GasBike 66/80 kit. The minimal instructions say to "drill a small hole in the handlebar for the pin on the kill switch." Looking on the Zone 8 instructions it says to drill a 5mm hole 125 mm from the end of the handlebar. I guess the best way to do this is to put the handlebar in a vise and dimple it with a punch, then drill the hole. Or, can you cheat on this and not do any of it, just screw it on?
Suggestions greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
John, aks Pedal Pusher (not riding, just pedaling)

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
You probably can knock out the pin and not drill the hole, but then you would need to make sure that the throttle assembly does not spin on the handlebar. Grip shifters have a tightening ring built in that do that, these throttles don't have that.

I would drill the hole. You should be able to drill the hole without putting it in a vise. Just mark it, center punch, drill it with a 1/8" bit then use the proper bit to widen the hole.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Don't cheat. That hole is to keep the twist grip throttle from rotating on the handlebar. You don't need to remove the bars from the bike to drill it unless all you have is a drillpress. Follow the instructions, drill the hole where they tell you or you can measure it yourself. Slide the throttle/kill switch onto the bar as far as it will go then wrap a piece of masking tape around the bar where the kill switch meets. Measure the distance from the end of the switch to the center of the pin then transfer that measurement to the handlebar. That's where you want the hole. You also should sit on the bike and find a comfortable hand position for the throttle/kill switch before drilling. This will give you the location of where to drill. Hope this helps. Oh, and failing to drill the hole will usually result in breaking the tabs on the kill switch when you try to tighten it enough to keep it from rotating.
Tom

Last edited:

Mike Hunt

Jun 9, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
i did mine by positioning the throttle where i wanted it then tightened the screws as far as they would go, then twisted the whole thing back and forth and slid it side to side, this scratched two intersecting lines on the handlebars. i then used electric handheld drill to make the hole where the lines intersected

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
I didn't even have to measure mine.. just put it togther on the bike w/o the hole. slipped a fine point sharpie in the hole and drilled to the right of it, came out perfect

caprirs302

Jul 6, 2009
Home
I have no clue what you guys are talking about. I have an older style throttle (I guess?) and there is no drilling involved, just a screw to tighten and all is fine. What are you talking about?

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
on the new throttles, there is a pin that holds the throttle assembly on the bike. you have to drill for it, being the throttle rotates on the handlebar, it's what holds it on and holds it from spinning