new guy...new install...big problems

GoldenMotor.com

mcmunzell

Apr 22, 2009
albuquerque
hey everyone. I have a beachcruser. I installedt the sprocket correctly and it locked up the hub. I took off the bolts, coaster brake plate, installed the inner and outer fiber thingys...put the bolts on...then everything else on...then the tire wont spin...then the coaster brake plate looked like it needed to be bent for clearance...then I took off the coaster brake plate...the tire still wouldnt spin...

any ideas??? I know I could always just pedal the damn thing but thats no fun. Ive been up all night trying to figure this "easy install" out and Im stumped. Im about to throw this thing in the dumpster and go get my goped out again.

Drew

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Did you over tighten the cones? That would cause the wheel to lock. If the wheel doesn't turn on the axle then it must be something with the bearings/brake shoes. Ideally you should tighten the cones with a cone wrench until the wheel rotates freely but the axle has no "wiggle". Then holding the cone in place with the cone wrench tighten the lock nut down to keep it from moving.

rockvoice

Apr 6, 2009
glendale california
theres a bearing dust cover between the coaster arm and hub. you need to trim or grind the part that wraps around the hub so that its like a flat washer protecting the wheel bearing. its not as much protection as it was but better than nothing there (or you can just remove it) and check and regrease bearings more often. once you do this the wheel will spin free. the wheel sprocket when tightened down binds the whole wheel without trimming it down.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If you want to throw it in the dumpster, I'll give you 25 bux for shipping and my address....
Just kidding of course!

We'll get you going.