totalnewb from flemingsburg kentucky

GoldenMotor.com

totalnewb

Jun 19, 2016
Flemingsburg, Kentucky
Hello everyone!

I have been interested in motorized bicycling for a long time but I never knew where to purchase reliable equipment to make it happen. I can remember seeing a front fork mounted motor in a sears catalog in the late eighty's or early ninety's. I thought it might be fun but did not want a motor on the front of my bike. I have always been obsessed with rear wheel drive. Any how I'm ready to buy my very first kit. I have at least second hand access to all the tools I need and my dad has a welder that he might not be the best at using but he loves to try.

Here's my plan:

1. buy a low cost 2 cycle kit and install on an old bike I already have
2. install, ride and most importantly learn
3. if the setup is good, sell and buy a more expensive kit for a nicer bike which I also already have
4. continue build, ride, learn and sell until I can buy a higher cost rig (more powerful engine) with jack-shaft for shifting
5. this will be installed on a mountain bike for on and off road use

The idea is to keep my total investment in the project low and upgrade by selling off my previous version. I have some bikes already so kits is what I need.

With all that said; does anyone want to recommend a decent starter 2 cycle kit?

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Welcome to the site. Glad you are here. There are several advertisers on this website that can fix you up with a 2 cycle china girl kit or other sources like ebay, amazon, etc etc. However you may find it beneficial to buy from one of the retailers here that are better known for after the sale customer support. Cheap china girl kits can sometimes be a bit of a gamble...so if you are just starting out you might save yourself a bit of aggrivation by buying from someone who will actually talk to you after the sale. Do a bit of research and find reviews on each seller.
Me personally...I am a bit of a gambler and just buy whats cheap! Sometimes that works out and sometimes it don't. LOL

totalnewb

Jun 19, 2016
Flemingsburg, Kentucky
Excellent advice,

I was thinking basically two options, safe (after purchase support as you stated) and aggressive (cheap purchase and learn on the fly)

I'm debating on which route I'll take

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
If you are comfortable with a wrench and have the patience and desire to learn the workings of your kit...then dont be afraid to go cheap. My experience has been mostly positive going that route...but I am a tinkerer and actually enjoy really having to dig right in and face whatever issues may or may not arise.

Last edited:

totalnewb

Jun 19, 2016
Flemingsburg, Kentucky
It is done. Test drive complete...and I broke a crank arm trying to bend it jussstt a little more to clear the exhaust and engine. Such a newb. Looking for another crank arm now.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
I usually just trim the left crank arm tip with a grinder. Usually dont take too much to be able to roll past the exhaust pipe and doesnt usually need so much that it would jeprodize the integrity.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Yea...usually around an 1/8" or so does it. Need to make sure the pedal is threaded in when you start the grinding...a bit will need to come of the end of the pedal thread along with the bit of material off the arm itself.

totalnewb

Jun 19, 2016
Flemingsburg, Kentucky
How far can you bend a pedal? I used the grinder and I guess I didn't take enough off. I'll probably need to hit it with the grinder again. I broke one yesterday that would have been perfect if it hadn't broke. guess hitting it with a sledge was not a good way to bend it.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
I would not suggest bending the pedal if you can get it with a grinder. Play around with the torque on your muffler bolts as well. If you torque the outward nut a bit more then the inward nut....it will draw the muffler inward just a bit, but maybe just the bit you need to get it too clear. Leave the sledge in the tool box.LOL

totalnewb

Jun 19, 2016
Flemingsburg, Kentucky
This issue has been totally resolved. I heated up the muffler and bent it just a hare on the vise. I took it for a test drive to confirm the cranks to not hit the engine or the exhaust and bingo good to go. The next thing that happened was my master link fell out. It sounded like something worse happened. There I was stuck on the road wondering what to do, but I took a look around and found one by one all the pieces of the master link. :D love it

totalnewb

Jun 19, 2016
Flemingsburg, Kentucky
I'm having a great time on this motorized bicycle I hope the fun never stops. I'm 42 this year and I feel like I'm 18 when I'm cruising downtown on Friday night with other mopeds, motorcycles and cars all out enjoying the warm summer night. I'm sure this post makes me sound like a dork but I don't really care. I'm sure my bicycle helmet makes me look like a dork anyhow.