Custom Frame For Thumper Motor

GoldenMotor.com

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I completed the chain tensioner that was needed on this bike. Purchased the sprocket from "Pirate Cycles" and must say the quality is top notch and well worth the price.

I played with a few options and this worked out the best; it’s fully adjustable and works very well...hopefully no more chain issues.

I guess I can say the bike is done...well until I get the alky motor done...JK

Attachments

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I got The bike back running tonight and posted a video of how it sounds. Took it out in the neighbor-hood and almost looped it and when the front end came down it bottomed out real hard. I need to add some more dampening spacers back in the fork. The chain tensioner works great so far...

This is a fun bike but i need to get more safety gear to wear for sure.

P9070001 02 - YouTube

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
You must have put the big sprocket on eh? Welded the broken brake arm on mine today.....time to dial in the jetting now. So much fun ripping thru the neighborhood :D

dnut

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Hey ccc, I was researching the comet specs and it's supposed to operate at 3100 rpm max. My motor revs up to 6400. Do you think it's a high speed balance limitation? I don't want to break my crank off and take my leg with it. Appreciate your input.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Hey thanks for telling me that now...I rev it till it red lines at 9500... JK
I am not sure what my bike revs to but I just made some changes and it really moves.

What I do notice is the bike really shakes from the cvt at hi speed...but it also will Cruz very well. It's a fine line and the older I get I really don't feel like getting hurt.

Tell me what you noticed when you rode your bike

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Hey ccc, I was researching the comet specs and it's supposed to operate at 3100 rpm max. My motor revs up to 6400. Do you think it's a high speed balance limitation? I don't want to break my crank off and take my leg with it. Appreciate your input.
I just happened upon this thread, and I plan on switching out my centrifugal clutch with a comet clutch, so I got worried about this max rpm thing. I researched it a little on mini bike and go kart forums and re-read the specs and I believe it is stating that the range for the clutch engaging is 1200 min. to 3100 max. I do not believe that is the max rpm the clutch can handle.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Gilbert

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Gilbert...I tried to find that information, can you post where you found it? The drive I have is a GTC brand just so you know; it works on the same principle as a comet.

The bike runs good and I did a 35 mile ride today with no issues. The only thing I see is a new belt in the near future.

Last edited:

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
I found it here. In the first blue box under the picture of the drive pulley it states "engagement range: 1200 rpm - 3100 rpm. It also states that you can adjust the spring for driving in more hilly terrain.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Me thinks after it reaches the full 3100 and is full out it won't make any moves or changing no mater how fast you rev it. The only thing is the balance or vibration.
Most of them are stamped and mass produced so could be out of balance.
Might need to take it apart and weigh each piece or whatever it takes to balance it.....Curt

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Mine engages at 2,200rpm and I'm keeping the idle at around 1,800rpm. It only takes a blip of the throttle to launch this rocket. It's a very fine line.

On a side note, I just got pulled over by the cops (a few minutes ago) and they thought I have a very "interesting contraption". I agreed and told them it is my race bike and I'm out testing it. They told me to put lights on it as it is dark out now (after running my license) and I replied no problem, had them in my backpack. Ya gotta love that!dance1 one block away from home, after a 10mile tour!

dnut

Last edited:

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I really don't think we need to worry about the CVT; for one thing they have been in use for some time. I have not seen any cautions or warnings about over-revving or self destruction. It's an all around great design with a proven history.

So I am going to race it, lug it and Cruz it till death do us part…and love it…

Pictures: Playa Del Rey Elks Car Show Saturday

Attachments

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
The quest for the perfect race bike and daily rider...the latest to come out of the SPORTSMAN garage...this hub and adapter with a split sprocket for easy swaps with-out the removal of the wheel. Such a smart design...The request from Pat: see if you can break it...lol Thanks Pat....for the hub...it sure is a beauty

Lucky for me I have an area that I have setup for hard runs and a practice track a mile from my house..The old Hughes Air Craft area...

Attachments

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
That's a great looking design Pat, the split sprocket is o so handy! I Jeff can't break, I may be able to.......is that about 60t? The MM adapter I got at Willow won't stay put so it's off of the race bike, I've got something stronger that won't fail come race time. New wheelset done this weekend, think Atomlab, Surly w/ whimpy, stretchy WTB 12G SS spokes.

Is that hub goin on the 160 or the 200? If it goes on your big race bike and that's a 60t or thereabouts, it should make your gearing just about right!

Keep up the great work Pat, we need it!

dnut

The quest for the perfect race bike and daily rider...the latest to come out of the SPORTSMAN garage...this hub and adapter with a split sprocket for easy swaps with-out the removal of the wheel. Such a smart design...The request from Pat: see if you can break it...lol Thanks Pat....for the hub...it sure is a beauty

Lucky for me I have an area that I have setup for hard runs and a practice track a mile from my house..The old Hughes Air Craft area...