go figure

GoldenMotor.com

Lupyne

May 16, 2011
Gulfport, Mississippi
well i was going to get my engine kit yesterday so i go to bikeberry to put an order in and the prices went up... so i gotta get some extra money stashed away.
then i decide to at least put all my lights and giz-mos on my bike and just take her out for a little ride, when i find out that the whole frame is bent. /sigh

so now i have to get a new bike, and the engine kit lol. yay!

oh well as my grandmother says, things happen for a reason

lol sorry just had to vent for a second

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Patience. You'll get past this glitch and be ridin and smilin with the rest of us. Keep it safe and do the build as well as you can. We're here to help.
SB

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Actually, you just have to get a bike. It doesn't have to be a new bike. It is, however, a good idea to get a very solid bike. I know steel so I use that. If you know a really good aluminum frame when you see it, and you're comfortable with it, you can use that. Lugged frames are great. Inspect all welds or brazing. Inspect all moving and weight bearing parts. New or used, it'll be bearing your weight and the weight of the engine, with regular impact shocks to the frame members and at speeds above what it was ordinarily designed for. Choose your bike carefully and it should last for some time.

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
Once again I agree with Allenwrench. I prefer to use bikes that are designed and built to be beat on. Mtn. Bikes and BMX style are perfect and need very little in the upgrade dept. If you look at my album both of my builds are 24" Mtn bikes.

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
If your frame bent, then it's good you found out now before installing the engine.

If you want, you can check out Goodwill for a cheap used bike. Some people leave really nice bikes that would be perfectly good for an MB kit. I remember when I was considering buying a kit, I was at Goodwill and saw this awesome classic bike that had fenders, a big headlight, sleek frame, army green paint, and everything. The next day I went to Goodwill to get it and it was gone. :( Fortunately I still had the old mountain bike that I was going to use all along so that's the bike I've been running now. Still, that bike from Goodwill would have been sick!

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
+1

I just went out to my pile of bike frames to select one to weld parts and pieces on...

I selected a more or less MTB styled import that was far to heavy to want to pedal around... LoL seems like it's 10lbs heavier than most the rest in the pile!

IMO I'd stay away from aluminum frames unless you have tig capability or are prepared to make/find some really neato clamps and such.

Best
rc